News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,606 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
Jon Gruden was campaigning for the Bears HC job pretty blatantly the other night.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 18, 2014, 09:52:57 AM
Jon Gruden was campaigning for the Bears HC job pretty blatantly the other night.

You mean the night he signed the seven year extension to stay with ESPN through 2021?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 18, 2014, 09:54:59 AM

You mean the night he signed the seven year extension to stay with ESPN through 2021?

Yeah I took Chucky's suddenly unvarnished criticism to be a sign that he's free to speak more freely since he's off the market and doesn't need to play nice.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »

Jon Gruden made the playoffs at a 45% rate. Lovie was a 38%. Their winning percentage is damn close. And people still want Gruden cause he makes faces like this:

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »

You don't think there's an out clause for if he gets offered a HC gig?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 18, 2014, 10:13:48 AM

I bet he probably just thinks you're wrong.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 18, 2014, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 18, 2014, 08:11:45 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on December 17, 2014, 10:27:14 PM
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 11:47:42 AM
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Then obviously if that is a total failure everyone goes.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?

If it involves driving dump trucks of money up to Bill Cowher's or Nick Saban's house, I'm for letting this guy make another coaching hire. 

Bill Cowher, huh? The guy that was basically Lovie Smith? Who was a head coach for 14 years before he won a title? The guy that started Kordell Stewart at quarterback for multiple seasons? The one who hasn't coached since 2006 (when he went 8-8 and was replaced by a guy who improved their record by three wins the next year and won a Superbowl the year after that) and has never had to face anything like a spread offense? The guy who many think was mostly just benefitting from one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time and wouldn't get to bring him with him?

Can't see any problems with that strategy.

You also thought Cutler was a great QB, so you know what's the best it seams.

Y'all can go on pretending this didn't happen, but I'm gonna validate the fuck out if it. 

But for real, hiring Bill Cowher would be a BAD choice, even if he's a perfect fit for the fanbase.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 18, 2014, 10:24:26 AM
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?

If it involves driving dump trucks of money up to Bill Cowher's or Nick Saban's house, I'm for letting this guy make another coaching hire. 

Bill Cowher, huh? The guy that was basically Lovie Smith? Who was a head coach for 14 years before he won a title? The guy that started Kordell Stewart at quarterback for multiple seasons? The one who hasn't coached since 2006 (when he went 8-8 and was replaced by a guy who improved their record by three wins the next year and won a Superbowl the year after that) and has never had to face anything like a spread offense? The guy who many think was mostly just benefitting from one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time and wouldn't get to bring him with him?

Y'all can go on pretending this didn't happen, but I'm gonna validate the fuck out if it. 

But for real, hiring Bill Cowher would be a BAD choice, even if he's a perfect fit for the fanbase.

I saw what TDubbs did and get his point, but until TDubbs wants to offer any sort of insight of his own about anything ever I think we should just continue ignoring him.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 18, 2014, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 18, 2014, 10:24:26 AM

I saw what TDubbs did and get his point, but until TDubbs wants to offer any sort of insight of his own about anything ever I think we should just continue ignoring him.

I'm getting soft on TDubbs again. I deserve criticism and scorn for sure.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 18, 2014, 10:18:53 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 18, 2014, 10:13:48 AM

I bet he probably just thinks you're wrong.

Fine, I'm cutting off his allowance.
TIME TO POST!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
Where can we find a guy who won't shit in a tub during the playoffs? That seems to be the most important thing.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 18, 2014, 11:14:46 AM
Where can we find a guy who won't shit in a tub during the playoffs? That seems to be the most important thing.

I think Pete Carroll is the only name on that list.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 18, 2014, 11:29:33 AM

I mean is any coach who loses playoff games a bad coach? That means every coach sucks except Pete Carroll who will eventually lose a playoff game.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 18, 2014, 11:31:16 AM

I mean is any coach who loses playoff games a bad coach? That means every coach sucks except Pete Carroll who will eventually lose a playoff game.

Carroll lost to the Bears in 2010, but that's beside the point.

Ditka's season ended on Soldier Field turf in the playoffs 3 years in a row (86-88) and in 1991.  Cowher's Steelers lost 4 times at home in Conference title games.  Obviously these guys were good enough coaches to get their teams into the playoffs (well, in Ditka's case I'm not so sure how good he was to run rampant over a limp-dick short bus NFC Central with 4 eventual Hall of Famers on his roster but follow me here) but I point to the fact that they lost in spite of their earned advantages as proof that they're...oh I don't know...maybe a little overrated.

But my real beef is with these "character" coaches who have facial hair and who like to yell and fire up any town's meatball fanbase.  I'm automatically repelled by these asshats and though my instinctive opposition to these coaches is probably in reaction to the dumbass fanbase I think there's some validity to the assertion that they're simply Point A to Point B guys who burn out.  Bill Walsh, Bill Belichek, Chuck Noll and Tom Landry have all won multiple Super Bowls and none of those guys were known as yelling douchebags like this clown Cowher.

So I point to the fact that he loses big games to inure me against idiots.  I know how abhorrent you find the idea of measuring coaches by championships so I guess my only reply to you is I dunno go eat shit I don't fucking like Bill Cowher okay.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 18, 2014, 11:45:04 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 18, 2014, 11:31:16 AM

Carroll lost to the Bears in 2010, but that's beside the point.

Ditka's season ended on Soldier Field turf in the playoffs 3 years in a row (86-88) and in 1991.  Cowher's Steelers lost 4 times at home in Conference title games.  Obviously these guys were good enough coaches to get their teams into the playoffs (well, in Ditka's case I'm not so sure how good he was to run rampant over a limp-dick short bus NFC Central with 4 eventual Hall of Famers on his roster but follow me here) but I point to the fact that they lost in spite of their earned advantages as proof that they're...oh I don't know...maybe a little overrated.

But my real beef is with these "character" coaches who have facial hair and who like to yell and fire up any town's meatball fanbase.  I'm automatically repelled by these asshats and though my instinctive opposition to these coaches is probably in reaction to the dumbass fanbase I think there's some validity to the assertion that they're simply Point A to Point B guys who burn out.  Bill Walsh, Bill Belichek, Chuck Noll and Tom Landry have all won multiple Super Bowls and none of those guys were known as yelling douchebags like this clown Cowher.

So I point to the fact that he loses big games to inure me against idiots.  I know how abhorrent you find the idea of measuring coaches by championships so I guess my only reply to you is I dunno go eat shit I don't fucking like Bill Cowher okay.

I don't care about Bill Cowher but I do enjoy watching you meatball