News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,661 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #390 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2014, 10:54:41 AM
I really don't think the McCaskeys are to blame here, I guess. I don't even think Ted Philips is to blame. Spending is so standardized in the NFL right now that it's pretty hard for cheap ownership to cripple anything.

The real terror here is that Phil Emery was the Bears Theo and he fucked himself hard. He's the most analytical GM in football. The Bears are contracted with more analytics companies than any other team. They have their own director of analytics when most still don't. Emery expanded the scouting department to make it one of the biggest in the NFL. Hell, he hasn't even drafted that poorly. I get that Shea McLellin was a disaster for the position he was drafted to play but he's actually PFF's 7th ranked 4-3 OLB right now. He's not bad at it. Jeffery's been good. Bostic's actually been about a league average MLB this year when most think he's probably better suited for WLB. Kyle Long has allowed one sack all year. Ego and Sutton and Vereen and Fuller have all shown promise.
He's made some decent free agent pickups with guys like Willie and Ratliff.

This isn't a defense of Phil Emery though. He fucked up the biggest decision he will ever make, and he's fucked it up BADLY. Bruce Arians was right fucking there and he has been arguably the coach getting the most out of the least in the NFL the last two seasons and Emery supposedly didn't hire him because he wanted Arians to keep Rod Marinelli (who was GOING TO LEAVE ANYWAY because Lovie was his BFF) and Arians rightly demanded the ability to choose his own coordinator.

So what I'm saying is you can demand new ownership and a new president and a new GM that'll Moneyball the hell out of the franchise or whatever you want them to do, but frankly Phil Emery just did all of that and it didn't matter because he fucked up and hired the wrong coach. Who knows if the next guy will find the right one.

Really, it's that simple? Trestman is a poor coach and this is why they stink?  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 10:56:34 AM

No, there's a woeful lack of talent in a lot of areas. Not all of it is Emery's fault. You can't pin everything on Angelo but the simple fact that they got a grand total of maybe 3 long-term players from Angelo's last 8 or so drafts really put this franchise in a whole where there was no depth anywhere, and Emery has spent each offseason plugging leaks only to see something that seemed fine suddenly pop up with more leaks.

2012 offseason he inherited a team that lacked offensive playmakers but had an offensive line that actually came together in the second half of the year and who his line coach/offensive coordinator professed faith. Emery gets Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery and the offensive line falls apart.

2013 offseason he has a defense that ranked 3rd in the NFL and an offense that ranked 28th, largely due to a bad offensive line and a TE who dropped 35% of the passes thrown to him. He completely rebuilds the OL with 4/5 new starters, signs Bennett, gets a top 2 scoring offense out of the deal while the defense falls apart due to age and injury and drops to 32nd.

2014 offseason he rebuilds the entire defensive line, drafts a corner in the first round, adds as many safeties as he can despite a tight cap situation, and then figures things should be okay on offense because they were #2 in scoring and #7 in yards and brought everyone back

Yet here we are with a defense that still sucks, in large parts because of a lack of talent in the secondary but also a total mis-use of the players they do have, and then an offense that just inexplicably fell apart everywhere.....why? Is it just Cutler? Is that why they call a baffling run-pass ratio? Is that why the offensive line gave up 7 sacks last night? is that why Bennett leads NFL TEs in dropped passes? Is that why Brandon Marshall ran on one leg for 13 games before he got killed?

But I still do not believe there is so little talent on that offense that was so good last year that a supposed offensive genius can't figure out how to even make them average. There is not so little talent on that defense this year, especially with a pretty good defensive line, that they should be that porous.

The coaching staff doesn't try to cover any of the gaping holes. I've seen Mel Tucker call the same soft zones and off-coverage every game and then act surprised when Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant etc. rip them a new one. Emery spent the whole offseason preaching a defense that would vary it's looks, alternate between one-gap and two-gap schemes, constantly confuse defenses, and then Mel has called about five plays. No fucking joke. He calls 5 plays. Cover One, Cover 3, a simple zone blitz where McClellin rushes off the edge, Cover 2, and Two Man.

Lovie and Marinelli did this sometimes when they had Julius Peppers and Urlacher and Briggs and Tillman all in their last good years. Tucker tries to do this with Ryan Mundy and a half-dead Tim Jennings.

There's not enough talent on this team that they should be 12-4, but if you don't think they're vastly under-achieving and that most of that can't be attributed to uninspired, repetitive, vanilla schemes on both sides of the ball, then pay the fuck attention.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2014, 11:02:17 AM

No, there's a woeful lack of talent in a lot of areas. Not all of it is Emery's fault. You can't pin everything on Angelo but the simple fact that they got a grand total of maybe 3 long-term players from Angelo's last 8 or so drafts really put this franchise in a whole where there was no depth anywhere, and Emery has spent each offseason plugging leaks only to see something that seemed fine suddenly pop up with more leaks.

2012 offseason he inherited a team that lacked offensive playmakers but had an offensive line that actually came together in the second half of the year and who his line coach/offensive coordinator professed faith. Emery gets Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery and the offensive line falls apart.

2013 offseason he has a defense that ranked 3rd in the NFL and an offense that ranked 28th, largely due to a bad offensive line and a TE who dropped 35% of the passes thrown to him. He completely rebuilds the OL with 4/5 new starters, signs Bennett, gets a top 2 scoring offense out of the deal while the defense falls apart due to age and injury and drops to 32nd.

2014 offseason he rebuilds the entire defensive line, drafts a corner in the first round, adds as many safeties as he can despite a tight cap situation, and then figures things should be okay on offense because they were #2 in scoring and #7 in yards and brought everyone back

Yet here we are with a defense that still sucks, in large parts because of a lack of talent in the secondary but also a total mis-use of the players they do have, and then an offense that just inexplicably fell apart everywhere.....why? Is it just Cutler? Is that why they call a baffling run-pass ratio? Is that why the offensive line gave up 7 sacks last night? is that why Bennett leads NFL TEs in dropped passes? Is that why Brandon Marshall ran on one leg for 13 games before he got killed?

But I still do not believe there is so little talent on that offense that was so good last year that a supposed offensive genius can't figure out how to even make them average. There is not so little talent on that defense this year, especially with a pretty good defensive line, that they should be that porous.

The coaching staff doesn't try to cover any of the gaping holes. I've seen Mel Tucker call the same soft zones and off-coverage every game and then act surprised when Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant etc. rip them a new one. Emery spent the whole offseason preaching a defense that would vary it's looks, alternate between one-gap and two-gap schemes, constantly confuse defenses, and then Mel has called about five plays. No fucking joke. He calls 5 plays. Cover One, Cover 3, a simple zone blitz where McClellin rushes off the edge, Cover 2, and Two Man.

Lovie and Marinelli did this sometimes when they had Julius Peppers and Urlacher and Briggs and Tillman all in their last good years. Tucker tries to do this with Ryan Mundy and a half-dead Tim Jennings.

There's not enough talent on this team that they should be 12-4, but if you don't think they're vastly under-achieving and that most of that can't be attributed to uninspired, repetitive, vanilla schemes on both sides of the ball, then pay the fuck attention.

The whole whole?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2014, 11:13:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2014, 11:02:17 AM

So basically, Emery did everything right except he hired a bad coach, except he didn't do everything right because they have no talent in the secondary (except for presumably Kyle Fuller, who you spent half the season fellating.)

Other than hating Trestman and making excuses for Cutler, I don't even know what you're saying anymore.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
I'm not blaming the McCaskeys.  The Bears haven't been cheap; they're just not smart and that starts at the top.  Phillips hired Emery who has proven to suck--his drafts are a mixed bag and more was needed on the heels of Angelo's poor drafts.  But you appear to simplify this down to some fatal flaw in that he hired the wrong coach but a) that's a pretty goddamn big mistake and b) as much as we have defended in Cutler, it's fair to say in retrospect that signing him up big-time last year also has backfired so that when you add all of this together--so-so drafting, bad coaching hire, questionable Quarterback decision-- that Emery has proven to have already made too many costly mistakes.

I mean, shit, you gloss over the fact that he made a bad a coaching hire but even if that is the only fault you can find with him then why would you trust him to hire the next guy?  No.  While normally, I think a GM has the right to make a second hire, Emery's hiring here has been so obviously bad I think he's forfeited that right and, more than that, should be relieved of his duties because now the problems go well beyond that hire.  Remember, he inherited a team that was a year removed from a  Conference Title game and went 10-6 in his first year.  You compare him to Theo but he had an entirely different situation when he arrived.

Theo was brought in as President, and Emery's just a GM--a position which the Bears had forsaken until just a little over a decade ago.  If the Bears were to really sign "a Theo" the guy would be sitting in Phillips' chair.  After all, Phillips hired Emery and Angelo to run the football side of the things.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel he deserves to go before Emery and Trestman.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 11:13:13 AM

So basically, Emery did everything right except he hired a bad coach, except he didn't do everything right because they have no talent in the secondary (except for presumably Kyle Fuller, who you spent half the season fellating.)

Other than hating Trestman and making excuses for Cutler, I don't even know what you're saying anymore.

I'm not really saying Emery did everything right. Just that the biggest problem here in my opinion is a coaching staff that's terrible at their jobs. There are certainly other factors. I'm not even making excuses for Jay. He's sucked out loud and if he was gone tomorrow I wouldn't really care.

I'm saying no GM is perfect, and Emery's drafting/free agency moves are probably pretty good or at least par for the course when it comes to NFL GMs over the last few years. I don't know if FIRE THE PRESIDENT AND HAVE HIM GET A REAL GM is the solution because I doubt that guy is going to offer some new and innovative approach to rebuilding the team that Emery didn't. He's not a stupid guy.

But Emery DID fuck up the Trestman hire, and while this team does have talent issues in a lot areas you cannot look at some of the teams around the league that manage to contend or at least due  better than be beaten down regularly on a weekly basis and tell me they ALL have more talent than Chicago. They don't. The common link between all of the young players who aren't developing and the veterans who are underperforming is the people in charge. They're issue #1 as far as I'm concerned.

And sadly I think a lot of this really is just the bill finally coming due for a decade of terrible decisions that pre-date Emery. For years the Bears have floated on as a 7-10 win team that had just enough of an aging core of stars that you could slap on the occasional free agent Band-Aid and tease people with a chance at contention, but the foundations were still rotting. We'd all probably be better off if the Cutler trade and the Peppers signing never happened, because then the collapse would have come in 2010 and we'd be four years ahead in the rebuild process instead of having wasted four years trying to hope the patched up, jerry-rigged team that was never quite good enough was going to do something.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 11:17:10 AM
I'm not bl
Quoteaming the M
QuotecCask
Quoteeys.  The Bears haven't been cheap; they're just not smart and that starts at the top.  Phillips hired Emery who has proven to suck--his drafts are a mixed bag and more was needed on the heels of Angel
o's poo
r drafts.  But you appear to simplify this down to some fatal flaw in that he hired the wrong coach but a) that's a pretty goddamn big mistake and b) as much as we have defended in Cutler, it's fair to say in retrospect that signing him up big-time last year also has backfired so that when you add all of this to
Quotegether--so-so drafting, bad coaching hire, questionable Quarterback decision-- that Emery has proven to have already made too many costly mistakes.
I mean, shit, you gloss
Quoteover the fact that he made a bad a coaching hire but even if that is the only fault you can find with him then why would you trust him to hire the next guy?  No.  While normally, I think a GM has the rig
ht to make a se
Quotecond hire, Emery's hiring here has been so obviously bad I think he's forfeited that right and, more than that, should be relieved of his dutie
Quotes because now the problems go well beyond that hire
.  Remember, he inherited a team that was a year removed from a  Conference Title and went 10-6 in his first year.  Y
Quoteo
u compare him to Theo but he had an entirely different situation when he arrived.
Theo was brought in as President,
and Emery's just a GM--a position which the Bears had forsaken until just a little over a decade ago.  If the Bears were to really sign "a Theo" the guy would be sitting in Phillips' chair
.  After all, Phillips hired Emery and Angelo to run the football side of the things.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel he deserves to go before Emery and Trestman.

Get a hold of yourself, Pank.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
I'm not blaming the McCaskeys.  The Bears haven't been cheap; they're just not smart and that starts at the top.  Phillips hired Emery who has proven to suck--his drafts are a mixed bag and more was needed on the heels of Angelo's poor drafts.  But you appear to simplify this down to some fatal flaw in that he hired the wrong coach but a) that's a pretty goddamn big mistake and b) as much as we have defended in Cutler, it's fair to say in retrospect that signing him up big-time last year also has backfired so that when you add all of this together--so-so drafting, bad coaching hire, questionable Quarterback decision-- that Emery has proven to have already made too many costly mistakes.

I mean, shit, you gloss over the fact that he made a bad a coaching hire but even if that is the only fault you can find with him then why would you trust him to hire the next guy?  No.  While normally, I think a GM has the right to make a second hire, Emery's hiring here has been so obviously bad I think he's forfeited that right and, more than that, should be relieved of his duties because now the problems go well beyond that hire.  Remember, he inherited a team that was a year removed from a  Conference Title and went 10-6 in his first year.  You compare him to Theo but he had an entirely different situation when he arrived.

Theo was brought in as President, and Emery's just a GM--a position which the Bears had forsaken until just a little over a decade ago.  If the Bears were to really sign "a Theo" the guy would be sitting in Phillips' chair.  After all, Phillips hired Emery and Angelo to run the football side of the things.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel he deserves to go before Emery and Trestman.

actually I'm not downplaying Emery's mistake of hiring Trestman at all. It is a fireable offense. I don't want Emery to stay. I'm just depressingly stating that I don't know if this panacea of "fire everybody, and get some real smart people!" is going to matter. I don't think Phil Emery is stupid. I think he did a lot of the things we'd want the new guy to do already, and in the end I fear the simple answer is these Bears will never be great until they luck into that one franchise-cure-all QB that seems to be the reason everybody else wins consistently. The Colts are a horribly run franchise. They traded a first round pick for Trent Fucking Richardson for fuck's sake, it will never matter because they held the #1 pick twice at the right fucking time. If the Bears never win that lottery I'm not sure any overhaul of the organizational structure will matter.

But fire Emery, be my guest. Fuck him. I really don't care. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »

I mean, shit, you gloss over the fact that he made a bad a coaching hire but even if that is the only fault you can find with him then why would you trust him to hire the next guy?  No.  While normally, I think a GM has the right to make a second hire, Emery's hiring here has been so obviously bad I think he's forfeited that right and, more than that, should be relieved of his duties because now the problems go well beyond that hire.  Remember, he inherited a team that was a year removed from a  Conference Title game and went 10-6 in his first year.  You compare him to Theo but he had an entirely different situation when he arrived.

I mean...Theo's on his 3rd manager in 3 seasons.  

Granted, he keeps upgrading, but I'm not sure that hiring the wrong coach is enough to crucify the guy for by itself.  Trestman did a pretty good job last year.  

Now, if he keeps a bad coach, that's pretty indictable.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 11:28:28 AM

Trestman did a pretty good job last year.  

Until he turtled up on his return to his home state of Minnesota and decided to kick a long-assed field goal on second down.  It's either been all downhill from there or that game merely exposed what a shitbag of a coach he was all along.  Either way, the last 12 months are rivalled only by the Wannstedt and Gibron eras in the annals of Bear history.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 11:32:28 AM

Until he turtled up on his return to his home state of Minnesota and decided to kick a long-assed field goal on second down.  It's either been all downhill from there or that game merely exposed what a shitbag of a coach he was all along.  Either way, the last 12 months are rivalled only by the Wannstedt and Gibron eras in the annals of Bear history.

Jauron: too big for annals.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: December 16, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I mean...Theo's on his 3rd manager in 3 seasons.  

Granted, he keeps upgrading, but I'm not sure that hiring the wrong coach is enough to crucify the guy for by itself.  Trestman did a pretty good job last year.  

Now, if he keeps a bad coach, that's pretty indictable.

Though Epstein never claimed to have paid attention to the in-season performance from 2012-2014, it's worth noting that the Cubs went from 61 to 66 to 73 victories.  The Bears under Emery have gone 10-6, 8-8 and now (5-11?). 

I'd prefer we abstain from comparing Emery to Theo.  Thanks so much.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: December 16, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 11:33:17 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 11:32:28 AM

I mean, shit, you gloss over the fact that he made a bad a coaching hire but even if that is the only fault you can find with him then why would you trust him to hire the next guy? No.  While normally, I think a GM has the right to make a second hire, Emery's hiring here has been so obviously bad I think he's forfeited that right and, more than that, should be relieved of his duties because now the problems go well beyond that hire.  Remember, he inherited a team that was a year removed from a  Conference Title game and went 10-6 in his first year.  You compare him to Theo but he had an entirely different situation when he arrived.

Until he turtled up on his return to his home state of Minnesota and decided to kick a long-assed field goal on second down.  It's either been all downhill from there or that game merely exposed what a shitbag of a coach he was all along.  Either way, the last 12 months are rivalled only by the Wannstedt and Gibron eras in the annals of Bear history.

Jauron: too big for annals.

I'm aware of the Jauron Era but this is worse.  Jauron had the benefit of following Wannstedt where there was pretty much nowhere to go but up.  He turned the ship around a little and, while they were mostly mediocre, were in much better shape when Jauron yielded to Lovie than when Wannstedt yielded to him.  The 2000 season was pretty bad, but this is worse.

Also, Trestman will be the first head coach since Gibron to not take the Bears to at least 1 playoff game.  The Green Bay tub-shitting last December is the closest he'll ever get.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: December 16, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Then obviously if that is a total failure everyone goes.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 11:47:42 AM
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Then obviously if that is a total failure everyone goes.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?