News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,622 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #405 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 11:47:42 AM
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Then obviously if that is a total failure everyone goes.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?

Again I'm sort of outside looking in at this point but yeah the Arians stuff is shockingly dumb.

I'd give him one more shot to get it right because frankly I don't have a replacement GM in mind that's available and could make this all better quickly. Maybe the Bears do.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: December 16, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
My worthless opinion is they should let Emery clean out the coaches and bring in new guys. Give them a shot. I think SKO is right in trying to state that the talent isn't where this team should be a Super Bowl favorite this year but they're also not 5-9 national embarrassment level bad either. Fire the coaches. Try new ones.

Let's be real - ownership isn't changing. Firing Emery as well as all the coaches just seems too soon. Everyone's disgusted with this team right now but it does seem that a ton of it can be laid at the feet of the coach and the weirdo culture he's established.

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?
I agree with not firing Emery (yet) but if he doesn't make the new coaching hire, who does?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
Quote from: flannj on December 16, 2014, 12:27:39 PM

I agree with not firing Emery (yet) but if he doesn't make the new coaching hire, who does?

All of this is irrelevant since Trestman's coming back.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 12:28:11 PM

I don't think so. I know why people think that but I think the worm turned with the Kromer incident. If Emery was on the fence at all, I doubt if he is now.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 16, 2014, 12:30:13 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 16, 2014, 12:28:11 PM

I don't think so. I know why people think that but I think the worm turned with the Kromer incident. If Emery was on the fence at all, I doubt if he is now.

Emery very obviously wanted Kromer fired and then said that was "marc's decision. Contractually it is that way."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 12:26:33 PM

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?

Again I'm sort of outside looking in at this point but yeah the Arians stuff is shockingly dumb.

I'd give him one more shot to get it right because frankly I don't have a replacement GM in mind that's available and could make this all better quickly. Maybe the Bears do.

I'll be honest--not hiring Arians is a mistake in retrospect.  At the time, though, I liked the Trestman hire--I thought it was inspired and expected great things.  I'm also not paid big bucks to make these decisions.

But this is why I feel now would be a good time to strip the whole thing and start over.  When will the opportunity present itself like this?  For too long this organization has a sort of out-of-step sync to it.  The GM is hired but can't fire the coach right away. He replaced a guy who never had the opportunity to fire his first hire, a guy *he* was only allowed to hire (Lovie) after the guy he inherited (Jauron) was kept on and so on and so forth.  It seems that the only time in this team's modern history wherein the started fresh was when they hired Jim Finks.  Since then it's been this weird, stupid overlapping structure which not shockingly never seems to gain any traction.  

The Hawks and Cubs have both done this in the last 6 years.  I would just like to see the Bears do it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 12:26:33 PM

I'm with you, except for the fact that Emery's very hiring of said weirdo should be a red flag for his judgement.  You really want that guy making another coaching hire?

I'll be honest--not hiring Arians is a mistake in retrospect.  At the time, though, I liked the Trestman hire--I thought it was inspired and expected great things.  I'm also not paid big bucks to make these decisions.

But this is why I feel now would be a good time to strip the whole thing and start over.  When will the opportunity present itself like this?  For too long this organization has a sort of out-of-step sync to it.  The GM is hired but can't fire the coach right away. He replaced a guy who never had the opportunity to fire his first hire, a guy *he* was only allowed to hire (Lovie) after the guy he inherited (Jauron) was kept on and so on and so forth.  It seems that the only time in this team's modern history wherein the started fresh was when they hired Jim Finks.  Since then it's been this weird, stupid overlapping structure which not shockingly never seems to gain any traction.  

The Hawks and Cubs have both done this in the last 6 years.  I would just like to see the Bears do it.

I get that. I really do. Sadly it's a lot harder to "start over" in the NFL given the way rosters and salary cap floors and everything else work. There's no real competitive advantage to be gained in the NFL from dumping a bunch of players and accruing dead money. As the Bears have shown you can try to win and still suck your way to a top ten draft pick, which, as we've discussed, may not be any better than one from 11-19.

Basically this fucking sucks and I don't see anyway this team doesn't suck for the next 3 years at a minimum regardless of who is calling the shots. 

Football is the worst.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2014, 01:08:36 PM
Football is the worst.

Baseball and the NBA basically cover the entire calendar year. You don't even need football.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: December 16, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 16, 2014, 01:11:41 PM
Football is the worst.

Baseball and the NBA Blackhawks basically cover the entire calendar year. You don't even need football or basketball.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 16, 2014, 01:25:08 PM
Football is the worst.

Baseball and the NBA Blackhawks basically cover the entire calendar year. You don't even need football or basketball.

I imagine Chuck just goes to various Bulls blogs to comment on how much he enjoys not commenting on Bulls blogs, because Chuck doesn't like the Bulls or the NBA. Did y'all know Chuck doesn't like the Bulls?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »
I, for one, am glad that Emstink passed on Arians.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 16, 2014, 01:35:35 PM
Football is the worst.

I imagine Chuck just goes to various Bulls blogs to comment on how much he enjoys not commenting on Bulls blogs, because Chuck doesn't like the Bulls or the NBA. Did y'all know Chuck doesn't like the Bulls?

People blog about the Bulls? Really?  Other than Dan Bernstein bitching about Derrick Rose's lack of intelligence, I didn't know people talked about the Bulls. Well, since 1998.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 16, 2014, 01:41:43 PM
Football is the worst.

People blog about the Bulls? Really?  Other than Dan Bernstein bitching about Derrick Rose's lack of intelligence, I didn't know people talked about the Bulls. Well, since 1998.

wrong as usual

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 01:53:27 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 16, 2014, 01:41:43 PM
Football is the worst.

wrong as usual

Let's just back away slowly before he traps us any further.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
I was only talking about the Bulls to get directions on how to get away from talking about the Bulls.