News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Gotham  ( 6,417 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Gotham
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
Shocking that I'm the one to post about this, I know.

It's okay. I think it has to decide what kind of show it wants to be. Is it a normal police procedural in a fucked up city that has really eccentric villains in it? Is it a really long, drawn out and probably shitty Batman origin story? Does it keep trying to be dark or does it embrace some of the really funny camp possibilities it has? It's kind of done all of the above so far.

There's potential to be really good, though, mostly because Ben McKenzie as Gordon and Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock are just so fucking perfect for their roles, and I'm really enjoying the weird dude they have playing The Penguin. Since I normally fucking hate the Penguin, it's a nice change.

Jada Pinkett Smith is awful, though.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Gotham
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
I've been watching and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Logue and McKenzie being cops together is a great start for any show and this one happens to be in Gotham.

I think the angle with Barbara and her old angry girlfriend who's trying to ruin Gordon is fairly bad. We know he didn't kill the Penguin so that'll get fixed but they didn't really make Essen very attractive and in the books I read, when Jim cheats on Barbara, a) he has a baby and b) Essen is a hot new cop - not the old chief.

Maybe I'm missing something there.

But yeah I keep wondering if they're going to be going after different vigilantes now. They flat out said it in ep. 3.

I hope they plan to speed age Bruce a little bit because watching a useless 10 year old ain't as fun as watching an angry, hormonal teenager learn to harness that. What will maybe eventually kill this show is that everyone just wants to see the goddamn Batman.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
I haven't checked in on this.  Probably do a binge catch up post season. The Bruce part seems fixable by having offseason time jumps. Skip a year or two over the summer.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 08, 2014, 08:24:02 AM
I haven't checked in on this.  Probably do a binge catch up post season. The Bruce part seems fixable by having offseason time jumps. Skip a year or two over the summer.

Thanks for your opinion on a show that you haven't watched yet.

I'm not a huge nerd like SKO and his comics, but this is an okay show.  I'd rather have Southland on.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 07, 2014, 04:46:54 PM

It's okay. I think it has to decide what kind of show it wants to be. Is it a normal police procedural in a fucked up city that has really eccentric villains in it? Is it a really long, drawn out and probably shitty Batman origin story? Does it keep trying to be dark or does it embrace some of the really funny camp possibilities it has? It's kind of done all of the above so far.

There's potential to be really good, though, mostly because Ben McKenzie as Gordon and Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock are just so fucking perfect for their roles, and I'm really enjoying the weird dude they have playing The Penguin. Since I normally fucking hate the Penguin, it's a nice change.

Good review.  Why the producers thought that a Batman prequel was a good idea is a mystery to me.  TV shows need resolution.  By definition there isn't going to be resolution if it remains a prequel.  The young actress who plays the "I'm going to be Cat Woman" character brings out the dirty old man in me.  I hope for my sake that she is in her twenties.  Otherwise I am going to have to report myself.  I agree that the Jada Pinkett Smith character is jarring.  She is the only actor that is approaching this as though she were a comic book character.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 08, 2014, 09:14:44 AM

Good review.  Why the producers thought that a Batman prequel was a good idea is a mystery to me.  TV shows need resolution.  By definition there isn't going to be resolution if it remains a prequel.  The young actress who plays the "I'm going to be Cat Woman" character brings out the dirty old man in me.  I hope for my sake that she is in her twenties.  Otherwise I am going to have to report myself.  I agree that the Jada Pinkett Smith character is jarring.  She is the only actor that is approaching this as though she were a comic book character.

When did Yettoe hack into Stew's account?  15'll get ya 20

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on October 08, 2014, 09:42:12 AM

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camren_Bicondova

QuoteBorn: May 22, 1999 (age 15)
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 08, 2014, 10:47:26 AM

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

TOO OLD

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 08, 2014, 10:47:26 AM

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

So I am a dirty old man.  No surprise there.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 08, 2014, 08:00:27 AM
I've been watching and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Logue and McKenzie being cops together is a great start for any show and this one happens to be in Gotham.

I think the angle with Barbara and her old angry girlfriend who's trying to ruin Gordon is fairly bad. We know he didn't kill the Penguin so that'll get fixed but they didn't really make Essen very attractive and in the books I read, when Jim cheats on Barbara, a) he has a baby and b) Essen is a hot new cop - not the old chief.

Maybe I'm missing something there.

But yeah I keep wondering if they're going to be going after different vigilantes now. They flat out said it in ep. 3.

I hope they plan to speed age Bruce a little bit because watching a useless 10 year old ain't as fun as watching an angry, hormonal teenager learn to harness that. What will maybe eventually kill this show is that everyone just wants to see the goddamn Batman.

I have no idea why they named that Chief lady Essen if not just a pointless name drop that will actually just piss off the pedantic nerds like me who give a crap. Because you're right, that's nothing like the hot young Essen that tempts Jim away from his wife and later becomes Mrs. Gordon #2.

I'd honestly just like Bruce to not be in every episode. Keep his appearances small. A ten year long Batman origin is unnecessary and boring. Keep the focus on the characters that make Gotham what it is. If you even inch too far to making it a Batman show, that's what it'll always be, and that's wasting McKenzie and Logue and Really Good Creepy Penguin Dude.

I seriously forgot about Barbara and the weird decision to make Rene Montoya her ex lover but now I'm mad. My beef is that Montoya and Attucks appear to be total assholes, which is a shame because in the comics they're good cops. Same with Bullock. The show makes him out to be a fundamentally decent guy at heart who has been somewhat corrupted by the city, but in the comics Bullock, no matter what, is still a good cop. I hope they don't let him cross the line too far.

Whatever Pedo-Vibes young Catwoman gives off to Stew she really needs to not talk. Because holy fuck is she annoying.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
I made it through 2.5 episodes, but I'm pretty convinced that it's not just a little slow to get going -- it's just boring.

Someone let me know when they spice up the fight scenes:

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 14, 2014, 12:32:27 PM
I made it through 2.5 episodes, but I'm pretty convinced that it's not just a little slow to get going -- it's just boring.

Someone let me know when they spice up the fight scenes:

It actually had 16 eps ordered but earned the full season call up late last week, I think. So it'll get 22 this year to try and make this thing go somewhere.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
I admit it.  I had no clue that what is being portrayed on the small screen was in any way related to a canon that has been published elsewhere.  I haven't read a Batman comic book since sometime in the 1940's.  Since I don't know what is going on I will simply enjoy it for the pretty pictures and the atmosphere.  It sucks to get old but I guess that it beats the alternative.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 14, 2014, 12:42:11 PM
I admit it.  I had no clue that what is being portrayed on the small screen was in any way related to a canon that has been published elsewhere.  I haven't read a Batman comic book since sometime in the 1940's.  Since I don't know what is going on I will simply enjoy it for the pretty pictures and the atmosphere.  It sucks to get old but I guess that it beats the alternative.

Being SKO?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
I think this show is figuring out what works. The last two episodes have been focused on Gordon and Bullock and Penguins rise to power/manipulation of the brewing Falcone/Maroni mob war and they've been the strongest two episodes yet in my opinion. I hope they keep it up. Little Bruce's storyline actually didn't suck in last night's episode either, which was a nice change.