News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,120 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2014, 11:22:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 17, 2014, 11:21:05 AM
So Martin to the Blue Jays? Am I hearing this correctly?

What now, Theo? How many more tears?

I liked Martin well enough but I'm fine with not getting him for that contract. He can DH some for the Blue Jays in the later years of the deal, so it may be a bit easier to absorb for them.

Yea, I was talking myself into it... and then it didn't happen and the Cardinals got Heyward.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on November 17, 2014, 11:24:18 AM

I liked Martin well enough but I'm fine with not getting him for that contract. He can DH some for the Blue Jays in the later years of the deal, so it may be a bit easier to absorb for them.

Is anyone that upset about the Cubs "missing" out on Martin for 5/$82? 

That's an awful deal.

I can't imagine anyone really wanted the Cubs to do that.

I didn't. I'm just wondering if there are any other bats they are even interested in otherwise.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 17, 2014, 11:28:59 AM

That's an awful deal.

I didn't. I'm just wondering if there are any other bats they are even interested in otherwise.

Johnny Gomes. 

Best teammate ever.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on November 17, 2014, 11:29:40 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 17, 2014, 11:28:59 AM

That's an awful deal.

Johnny Gomes. 

Best teammate ever.

I just have to assume there's going to be some backlash from the angsty DO SOMETHING crowd now that the Cubs have whiffed on supposedly their top position player target, their top FA pitching target isn't likely to make a decision anytime soon, and the Cardinals just made a big move.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Probably not Martin specifically, but it was a position of semi-need and they had the money to spend. And it's another good player who ended up not on the Cubs, so it's probably just general angst more than anything else.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2014, 11:31:40 AM

Probably not Martin specifically, but it was a position of semi-need and they had the money to spend. And it's another good player who ended up not on the Cubs, so it's probably just general angst more than anything else.

Right. I'm not going to be shamed into not feeling shitty about the last two moves both directly and negatively affecting the Cubs. Martin would have been a huge upgrade and now the Cardinals almost seamlessly replaced their latest drunk driving casualty.

The one ray of hope is that you can see what having a deep system allows teams to do. The Cubs building up their system the way they are means they should be in a position to augment their roster in the near future.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Stupid Garpax.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on November 17, 2014, 11:34:51 AM

Stupid Garpax.

Yeah. I think there's a lot of people waiting on the edge of their seats for Theo and Jed to DO SOMETHING that will let them quiet the voice in their heads that says Ricketts will never spend. I don't even think those people care who it is at this point. Just throw a bunch of cash at someone to prove you can. Cub fans are smart.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 17, 2014, 11:36:09 AM
Yeah. I think there's a lot of people waiting on the edge of their seats for Theo and Jed to DO SOMETHING that will let them quiet the voice in their heads that says Ricketts will never spend. I don't even think those people care who it is at this point. Just throw a bunch of cash at someone to prove you can. Cub fans are smart.

Well, they probably do need to DO SOMETHING. But it's also November, not February.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Stupid Garpax.

It's weird - in this case it wasn't a case of not having the money. They clearly didn't want to go that many years and I'm not upset about it.

I do wonder if they had any conversations with Atlanta about Heyward before saying hey let's get that Italian guy instead.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on November 17, 2014, 11:38:21 AM

Stupid Garpax.

It's weird - in this case it wasn't a case of not having the money. They clearly didn't want to go that many years and I'm not upset about it.

I do wonder if they had any conversations with Atlanta about Heyward before saying hey let's get that Italian guy instead.

But isn't the whole point of having a core of young, cost-controlled players that you have the flexibility to go further than you want to in years/money to get a veteran who you feel is a good fit and fills a need, understanding that the last year or two of the deal might be dead money? Martin fit that description perfectly.

I reserve the right to disengage my butthurt if they trade for Montero.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I think that's fine in principle, but if they draw a hard line in the sand on every free agent, it's going to be really difficult for them to ever sign anyone good.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2014, 11:46:01 AM

I think that's fine in principle, but if they draw a hard line in the sand on every free agent, it's going to be really difficult for them to ever sign anyone good.

Every free agent hopefully won't be a 33-year-old catcher.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on November 17, 2014, 11:49:50 AM

What 33-year-old catcher are you talking about?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on November 17, 2014, 11:49:50 AM

I think a lot of top FAs are going to be past 30. That's just how it is now. And everyone is right - you won't sign the top FA unless you give out a deal that looks foolish or seems like an overpay.

I hope they overpay for Lester or Scherzer.