News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,126 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on February 03, 2015, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 03, 2015, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2015, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 03, 2015, 11:01:02 AM
Quote from: Fork on February 03, 2015, 10:51:23 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 03, 2015, 10:31:36 AM
Bleacher Report predicts Opening Day rosters for all teams.

Link directly to the Cubs.

No huge surprises. Bryant not on the Opening Day roster, as widely discussed.
Also no Welington Castillo, with the assumption that he'll still get traded. 

Baez is predicted to make the Opening Day roster here.

Bleacher Report is what would happen if Yellon knew how to make slideshows.

Their NBA coverage is quite adequate.

They've actually added a lot of good writers recently. Just hard to know going in if you're getting one of them or a slideshow on the ten most elitest QBs evar.

My New Year's resolution is to ignore the Internet's insistence that I click on its list of "The 10 Best" anything.  Even if it is "The Ten Best Nude Scenes in Movies Since Day One."

Intrepid Reader Stew: Damn it, where's Hedy Lamarr? She sure got ol' Will Hays' dander up, wearing nothing but an onion on her belt, which was the style at the time.

As a kid, I fucking loved Will Hay movies.  True story.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on February 03, 2015, 02:37:59 PM

They've actually added a lot of good writers recently. Just hard to know going in if you're getting one of them or a slideshow on the ten most elitest QBs evar.

My New Year's resolution is to ignore the Internet's insistence that I click on its list of "The 10 Best" anything.  Even if it is "The Ten Best Nude Scenes in Movies Since Day One."

Intrepid Reader Stew: Damn it, where's Hedy Lamarr? She sure got ol' Will Hays' dander up, wearing nothing but an onion on her belt, which was the style at the time.

And a Google search confirmed that there was an actor named Will Hay, and Tonker wasn't making a willfully odd post about Willian Harrison Hays, and his Code.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I had the same feeling with Scherzer and it turned out to be unfounded, so I'll verbalize it here so that it also does not come to pass:

Every day James Shields doesn't sign I fear he ends up in St. Louis on a bargain contract.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2015, 03:38:21 PM
I had the same feeling with Scherzer and it turned out to be unfounded, so I'll verbalize it here so that it also does not come to pass:

Every day James Shields doesn't sign I fear he ends up in St. Louis on a bargain contract.

Maybe. But I don't think the Cubs would let it be a bargain.  Short but expensive (say 3 x $20mm), they'd allow, but cheap? They've got the money to compete for him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 03, 2015, 04:24:07 PM

Maybe. But I don't think the Cubs would let it be a bargain.  Short but expensive (say 3 x $20mm), they'd allow, but cheap? They've got the money to compete for him.

Gotta keep rotation spots open for David Price and Cole Hamels, so how would James feel about pitching out of the bullpen?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on February 03, 2015, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: Tonker on February 03, 2015, 02:37:59 PM

And a Google search confirmed that there was an actor named Will Hay, and Tonker wasn't making a willfully odd post about Willian Harrison Hays, and his Code.

...and his movies weren't 'alf bad.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Keeping quiet about Scherzer worked perfectly, so you decide you're going to change tack for Shields?  Nice work, Jinx Boy.  When he signs for the Tards, it's on you.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on February 04, 2015, 02:03:38 AM

Keeping quiet about Scherzer worked perfectly, so you decide you're going to change tack for Shields?  Nice work, Jinx Boy.  When he signs for the Tards, it's on you.

I told several people I thought Scherzer would sign with the Cardinals. Just not on this messageboard. I have human friends, too, you know.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2015, 08:37:48 AM

I told several people I thought Scherzer would sign with the Cardinals. Just not on this messageboard. I have human friends, too, you know.

Suuurrrrrrrre you do.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club

Your RA isn't your friend
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on February 04, 2015, 09:39:22 AM

Intrepid Reader: Aaron Heilman

Just try saying that to your RA.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 04, 2015, 10:06:41 AM

My RA is my wife. Well, she's the boss of the RAs.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2015, 10:37:32 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 04, 2015, 10:06:41 AM

My RA is my wife. Well, she's the boss of the RAs.
So you can sneak beer into your dorm? Awesome.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Maybe. But I don't think the Cubs would let it be a bargain.  Short but expensive (say 3 x $20mm), they'd allow, but cheap? They've got the money to compete for him.

Phil agrees with you about the money.

And look, he also wants to trade Castro.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on February 04, 2015, 01:46:24 PM

Maybe. But I don't think the Cubs would let it be a bargain.  Short but expensive (say 3 x $20mm), they'd allow, but cheap? They've got the money to compete for him.

Phil agrees with you about the money.

And look, he also wants to trade Castro.

As we know, Phil has a long history of blatantly getting nebulous things like "facts" and "names" wrong (hi Pablo Escobar!)....but it's doubly hilarious here because he confused Castillo with Castro.  What a ridiculous excuse for a baseball writer.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs