News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Inside Out  ( 7,580 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Inside Out
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 22, 2015, 10:18:14 AM
Saw this over the weekend with the family  (to show the very low level of movie watching I do, it was my first 3D viewing).  Thought it was great (although apparently the theatre let a lot of cats and onions in in the last half hour or so).  Still stunned how good looking the movie was (dem 'puters have come a long way).

That's not all. You should see a laptop play baseball. It's all statnerds ever talk about.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 22, 2015, 02:09:46 PM
Maybe it's more of a first-time parent thing.

I think that's probably more of a "decent, empathetic human being" thing.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 22, 2015, 01:46:23 PM
Well yeah.  I thought he was talking about Inside Out this past weekend.  That anyone would do that puts the one on the list, regardless of circumstances.  But the fact that it was Eli--sane, sensible Eli-- that could have done it actually had me discombobulated.

I do plan to the see the movie. But we'll get a sitter. And to pre-empt TDubbs, yes, we'll get a sitter so we can go out and see an animated movie.

If anything, I'm probably overly worried about my kid offending people in public. She's awesome and about the worst thing she'll do at a restaurant or whatever is squeal loudly because she's happy/excited. But I still live in mortal fear of someone getting pissed at me. I can't imagine what a wreck I'll be the first time we fly with her. Maybe it's more of a first-time parent thing.
Nothing that I like more than being trapped in coach for a four hour flight in the seat in front of a screaming child whose legs are just long enough to deliver good swift kicks to the back of my seat.  Hey you kids, get off my lawn!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 06:03:13 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 22, 2015, 05:43:24 PM
Well yeah.  I thought he was talking about Inside Out this past weekend.  That anyone would do that puts the one on the list, regardless of circumstances.  But the fact that it was Eli--sane, sensible Eli-- that could have done it actually had me discombobulated.

I do plan to the see the movie. But we'll get a sitter. And to pre-empt TDubbs, yes, we'll get a sitter so we can go out and see an animated movie.

If anything, I'm probably overly worried about my kid offending people in public. She's awesome and about the worst thing she'll do at a restaurant or whatever is squeal loudly because she's happy/excited. But I still live in mortal fear of someone getting pissed at me. I can't imagine what a wreck I'll be the first time we fly with her. Maybe it's more of a first-time parent thing.
Nothing that I like more than being trapped in coach for a four hour flight in the seat in front of a screaming child whose legs are just long enough to deliver good swift kicks to the back of my seat.  Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

If the parent makes every effort to console and calm the child i don't see the point in getting upset. They've They've got every right to take their kids places and they're probably embarrassed as hell and I've never felt the need to get upset about a kid being a kid.

If the parents are just sitting there looking at their fucking phones while the kid loses his mind or the kid is clearly old enough to know how to behave and they just don't care I will most definitely try to make them explode with my glare.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2015, 06:03:13 PM

If the parent makes every effort to console and calm the child i don't see the point in getting upset. They've They've got every right to take their kids places and they're probably embarrassed as hell and I've never felt the need to get upset about a kid being a kid.

If the parents are just sitting there looking at their fucking phones while the kid loses his mind or the kid is clearly old enough to know how to behave and they just don't care I will most definitely try to make them explode with my glare.
Having been on two nightmare flights with my son, I have to say: fuck people who don't understand there's not always a way to console a child on a plane.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 12:09:21 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 22, 2015, 11:32:21 PM

Having been on two nightmare flights with my son, I have to say: fuck people who don't understand there's not always a way to console a child on a plane.

If the parent is attentive I actually feel very sorry for them and I have seen other passengers volunteer to walk the aisles with the child to give Mom and Dad a break.
Mrs. flannj and I have both done this.
6-12 hour flights can make for a very communal experience.
I have friends that have three young children that have done multiple flights to Thailand and New Zealand to visit family.
Witnessing that may possibly be the best form of birth control ever.

But most importantly... Earplugs.

I'm a shooter so I buy them in bulk.
I even use them on Metra when the conductor loves to hear himself talk over the PA.
If anyone wants a recommendation as to what brand or needs a couple dozen packs I'm your guy.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »

On the train to Munich airport the other day, there was a couple with a very, very tired little girl of around eighteen months, I'd guess.  Her parents were going through the usual repertoire of tricks but weren't having much joy, and although she wasn't being completely horrible, she clearly wasn't happy and was making some noise.  Bearing in mind that this was only a half-hour journey, and that there were plenty of empty seats elsewhere on the train, you can perhaps imagine my surprise when the guy sitting behind me suddenly stood up, gave the parents both barrels about their lack of consideration, and stormed off.  It took every ounce of my self-restraint not to follow him and let him have a few thoughts of my own, I can tell you.  Fucking prick.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 22, 2015, 09:55:12 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2015, 08:24:15 AM
Not one of you idiots has mentioned The Incredibles so you're all wrong.

We just started talking about this, so calm down. I'd put it third or fourth. Probably third.

SKO just wanted to make sure everyone knew he likes superhero stuff

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 23, 2015, 08:09:09 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 22, 2015, 09:55:12 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2015, 08:24:15 AM
Not one of you idiots has mentioned The Incredibles so you're all wrong.

We just started talking about this, so calm down. I'd put it third or fourth. Probably third.

SKO just wanted to make sure everyone knew he likes superhero stuff

Well that and The Incredibles is a legitimately good movie.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 22, 2015, 11:32:21 PM

As a never-been-a-parent (SKO notwithstanding), how hard is it to process the fact that a child can't quite grasp the concept of atmospheric pressure changing at altitudes? Kids aren't going to be stoic. As SKO said, it's when the parents are too absorbed in their own shit to try keeping their kids at least corralled that my empathy goes out the window.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2015, 05:18:22 AM
On the train to Munich airport the other day, there was a couple with a very, very tired little girl of around eighteen months, I'd guess.  Her parents were going through the usual repertoire of tricks but weren't having much joy, and although she wasn't being completely horrible, she clearly wasn't happy and was making some noise.  Bearing in mind that this was only a half-hour journey, and that there were plenty of empty seats elsewhere on the train, you can perhaps imagine my surprise when the guy sitting behind me suddenly stood up, gave the parents both barrels about their lack of consideration, and stormed off.  It took every ounce of my self-restraint not to follow him and let him have a few thoughts of my own, I can tell you.  Fucking prick.

I've seen stories of parents handing out amenity kits with earplugs, snacks and drink tickets to nearby passengers. It's a kind thought and a good way to show you're concerned about your child's behavior. But it's also kind of sad that -- because of guys like the one in your story -- people think it's necessary to put together party favors just for the privilege of taking their kid somewhere.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 23, 2015, 08:44:05 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2015, 05:18:22 AM

I've seen stories of parents handing out amenity kits with earplugs, snacks and drink tickets to nearby passengers. It's a kind thought and a good way to show you're concerned about your child's behavior. But it's also kind of sad that -- because of guys like the one in your story -- people think it's necessary to put together party favors just for the privilege of taking their kid somewhere.

We're lucky - lots of flying for James from six weeks old and on. He's a pro. Stella's about to get her first taste of transatlantic flight in three weeks and if she's anything like her normal personality she'll be a champ.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »

No love for "Lava"? I enjoyed that too.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club