News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Scoreboard Watchers  ( 4,133 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Scoreboard Watchers
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 20, 2015, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 20, 2015, 03:50:20 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: R-V on July 20, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Here it is. Every other team in the top 10 is around 77%, and then you've got the piece of shit Cardinals breaking 40 years of precedent. What I'm hoping for here is that ChuckD stops by and tells us this is rigoddamndiculous and there's no way it can be sustained over a full season.

This is rigoddamndiculous and there's no way it can be sustained over a full season.

Especially when you want to ask the logical question "how do they do it?" and there's nothing else statistical that illustrates anything other than dumb luck being a factor.

Looking at the chart in comparison to the other teams -- they strike out a lot of guys, they don't give up homers and they get a lot of groundballs. There's still a crapload of luck, but that's basically the holy trinity of run prevention.

Considering it's 4 pct points better than any team over the past 40 years I'm gonna say the holy
trinity has more to do with it than groundballs.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2015, 04:25:03 PM
I've probably said it here before, but the way things are shaping up, there's a more than realistic possibility that Pittsburgh wins the division (their post ASG-game series wherein they just got swept by Milwaukee notwithstanding) and the Cubs and Cards go at it in the Wildcard game.  In fact, with the prospect of having to face Gerritt Cole in said coinflip game, I think Cub fans will  be rooting to play STL instead.  I know I sort of am.

Of course it's possible that Pissburgh makes up a 4.5 game deficit.  But they had the benefit of one of the easiest schedules pre-ASB and now have the toughest schedule after the break.  The sweep at the hands of the Brewers compounded things by forcing them to win even more against that schedule.

I think it's more likely the Cubs catch them than it is that the Succos win the division.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 20, 2015, 07:13:00 PM
I've probably said it here before, but the way things are shaping up, there's a more than realistic possibility that Pittsburgh wins the division (their post ASG-game series wherein they just got swept by Milwaukee notwithstanding) and the Cubs and Cards go at it in the Wildcard game.  In fact, with the prospect of having to face Gerritt Cole in said coinflip game, I think Cub fans will  be rooting to play STL instead.  I know I sort of am.

Of course it's possible that Pissburgh makes up a 4.5 game deficit.  But they had the benefit of one of the easiest schedules pre-ASB and now have the toughest schedule after the break.  The sweep at the hands of the Brewers compounded things by forcing them to win even more against that schedule.

I think it's more likely the Cubs catch them than it is that the Succos win the division.

You think a team with a piece of shit like Jon Lester as their so-called ace is going to catch St. Louis?

HIGHLY UNLIKELY

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 20, 2015, 07:16:09 PM

You think a team with a piece of shit like Jon Lester as their so-called ace is going to catch St. Louis?

HIGHLY UNLIKELY

I think he meant the Cubes were more likely to catch the Pirates than the Pirates were to catch the Cards. And he actually made some valid points for once.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 21, 2015, 09:00:26 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 20, 2015, 07:16:09 PM

HIGHLY UNLIKELY

I think he meant the Cubes were more likely to catch the Pirates than the Pirates were to catch the Cards. And he actually made some valid points for once.

Yeah well I chose to respond with worthless sarcasm instead.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
The Competetive Imbalance Lottery (boom) is still stupid but at least the Cardinals didn't win a free pick this time.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?