News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Ryan Pace Era... BEGINS!!!  ( 32,967 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Ryan Pace Era... BEGINS!!!
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 04, 2015, 09:52:49 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 09:42:11 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2015, 09:33:50 AM
Do any of this guy's draft picks play?

Looks like the Bears copied the Cubs, but hired Hendry, not Theo.

I'm pretty sure that the Ryan Pace Era is going to suck, but please stop with the baseball/football comparisons. It is pretty much impossible to do what Theo did for the Cubs in the NFL. Just stop it.

This.

Also, Hendry's Cubs were never the worst in baseball.

Chuck would have you believe he was the worst GM in Cubs history when he (and this says more about the Cubs but whatever) one of the better ones.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 04, 2015, 09:56:04 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Ryan Pace Era is going to suck, but please stop with the baseball/football comparisons. It is pretty much impossible to do what Theo did for the Cubs in the NFL. Just stop it.

This.

Chuck would have you believe he was the worst GM in Cubs history when he (and this says more about the Cubs but whatever) one of the better ones.

That, and a guy trying a true Theo style rebuild would be laughed out of town. Nobody makes big trades in the NFL, nobody wants to give up one of their measly seven draft picks, nobody gains more draft picks or more money to spend on player development by tanking. Not to mention there's a salary cap floor that would necessitate overpaying shitty players anyway, and that there's no international free agent pool or whatever to exploit.

Outside of the once-a-generation chance to tank for a Luck or Manning, top ten picks fail as much if not more than anybody. The Raiders did the closest thing to a Theo rebuild: they dumped everybody of value and tried to get younger everywhere, eating massive dead money on their cap to do so. They sucked even harder than before, and then no free agent worth a shit would take their money because they were obviously going to suck for a decade.

There is no Football Theo. It's a dumb idea. Stop it. All of the perennially good organizations got there either by nabbing a generational talent at QB (New England/GB/Indy, and two of the three were drafted way beyond the tanking portion of the draft) or through consistent, quality drafting, largely in the back half of the first round (Baltimore, Pittsburgh).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

Yeah. Clearing out high priced veterans and piling up high draft picks from the resulting bad records while focusing on scouting and development never worked in the NFL.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2015, 10:24:58 AM

Yeah. Clearing out high priced veterans and piling up high draft picks from the resulting bad records while focusing on scouting and development never worked in the NFL.

Are you referring to Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:07 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 04, 2015, 10:26:19 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2015, 10:24:58 AM

Are you referring to Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys?

That's relevant in today's NFL. 25 years ago. Good stuff.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
The Taylor Teagarden era ended yesterday
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 04, 2015, 10:35:25 AM
The Taylor Teagarden era ended yesterday

nice choice jim

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
QuoteYeah. Clearing out high priced veterans and piling up high draft picks from the resulting bad records while focusing on scouting and development never worked in the NFL.
You're missing the point. Every team in the NFL clears out high priced veterans. They're called cap casualties and you can find them every summer. Also, every team is focused on scouting and development! In fact, they all have the exact same amount of money that they are allowed to spend on said draft pick.

If you're able to look beyond what Theo has done on the surface to what is the entire point of Moneyball (I.E. finding and exploiting market inefficiencies) then in the NFL that's not "shedding salary and focusing on the draft." Everbody's working with the same tools in those departments. They all have a cap floor they have to hit. The only way to win in the NFL is just to hit on said draft picks. What's funny is you keep acting like shedding payroll is a good thing. You realize that if they cut Jay Cutler right now he still counts the same against the cap, right? They gain absolutely zero competitive or financial advantage from doing so. You can't just "shed payroll".

Also, if you really are using Jimmy fucking Johnson as an example, for fuck's sake, he didn't even have to deal with the salary cap until after he'd won his second fucking superbowl with that group. That seems like it might have some bearing on things.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 10:41:09 AM
QuoteYeah. Clearing out high priced veterans and piling up high draft picks from the resulting bad records while focusing on scouting and development never worked in the NFL.
You're missing the point. Every team in the NFL clears out high priced veterans. They're called cap casualties and you can find them every summer. Also, every team is focused on scouting and development! In fact, they all have the exact same amount of money that they are allowed to spend on said draft pick.

If you're able to look beyond what Theo has done on the surface to what is the entire point of Moneyball (I.E. finding and exploiting market inefficiencies) then in the NFL that's not "shedding salary and focusing on the draft." Everbody's working with the same tools in those departments. They all have a cap floor they have to hit. The only way to win in the NFL is just to hit on said draft picks. What's funny is you keep acting like shedding payroll is a good thing. You realize that if they cut Jay Cutler right now he still counts the same against the cap, right? They gain absolutely zero competitive or financial advantage from doing so. You can't just "shed payroll".

Also, if you really are using Jimmy fucking Johnson as an example, for fuck's sake, he didn't even have to deal with the salary cap until after he'd won his second fucking superbowl with that group. That seems like it might have some bearing on things.

Forget it, SKO. It's Chucktown.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 10:18:25 AM

This.

That, and a guy trying a true Theo style rebuild would be laughed out of town. Nobody makes big trades in the NFL, nobody wants to give up one of their measly seven draft picks, nobody gains more draft picks or more money to spend on player development by tanking. Not to mention there's a salary cap floor that would necessitate overpaying shitty players anyway, and that there's no international free agent pool or whatever to exploit.

Outside of the once-a-generation chance to tank for a Luck or Manning, top ten picks fail as much if not more than anybody. The Raiders did the closest thing to a Theo rebuild: they dumped everybody of value and tried to get younger everywhere, eating massive dead money on their cap to do so. They sucked even harder than before, and then no free agent worth a shit would take their money because they were obviously going to suck for a decade.

There is no Football Theo. It's a dumb idea. Stop it. All of the perennially good organizations got there either by nabbing a generational talent at QB (New England/GB/Indy, and two of the three were drafted way beyond the tanking portion of the draft) or through consistent, quality drafting, largely in the back half of the first round (Baltimore, Pittsburgh).
I have no idea why, but SKO's post made me remember the 1968 Alan Alda film of George Plimpton's book "Paper Lion".  In my opinion it is the best movie ever made about professional football.  It is probably not available on Netflix.  Keep your eyes open and if it shows up on TNT, TBS, or TCM, check it out.  It is really worth the time.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 04, 2015, 04:34:39 PM

This.

I have no idea why, but SKO's post made me remember the 1968 Alan Alda film of George Plimpton's book "Paper Lion".  In my opinion it is the best movie ever made about professional football.  It is probably not available on Netflix.  Keep your eyes open and if it shows up on TNT, TBS, or TCM, check it out.  It is really worth the time.

Side note: something about George Plimpton's demeanor makes me assume he participated in no less than 5 orgies at the Playboy mansion in his lifetime, and probably many more than that.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 04, 2015, 06:21:00 PM

This.

I have no idea why, but SKO's post made me remember the 1968 Alan Alda film of George Plimpton's book "Paper Lion".  In my opinion it is the best movie ever made about professional football.  It is probably not available on Netflix.  Keep your eyes open and if it shows up on TNT, TBS, or TCM, check it out.  It is really worth the time.

Side note: something about George Plimpton's demeanor makes me assume he participated in no less than 5 orgies at the Playboy mansion in his lifetime, and probably many more than that.

I got to spend a couple of hours with him one evening in 1989.
He couldn't have been nicer and was very cool with his cultural status.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said / written about him other than he was as smart and laid back as you would imagine.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 04, 2015, 07:36:57 PM

This.

I have no idea why, but SKO's post made me remember the 1968 Alan Alda film of George Plimpton's book "Paper Lion".  In my opinion it is the best movie ever made about professional football.  It is probably not available on Netflix.  Keep your eyes open and if it shows up on TNT, TBS, or TCM, check it out.  It is really worth the time.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said / written about him other than he was as smart and laid back as you would imagine.

They let you into the Chicago Mansion?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 04, 2015, 07:59:54 PM
Quote from: flannj on August 04, 2015, 07:36:57 PM

This.

They let you into the Chicago Mansion?

Hardly.
At that point in 1989 I was just about to become a father for the first time.
Freaked out and barely functional I'm sure I came across as an absolute stammering retard.
Not exactly Playboy Mansion material.

Good name for a band though... "Absolute Stammering Retards".
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »

This.

Well, he did play the evil dean in "Boner Academy"