News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Ryan Pace Era... BEGINS!!!  ( 32,966 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Ryan Pace Era... BEGINS!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 14, 2015, 02:14:05 PM

If this is true, and he brings Kyle Shanahan with him as OC, that's a pretty solid move for the Bears.

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Count me as whelmed. Although I am intrigued by Kyle Shanahan as OC. Not really a guy I'd call a bad hire but hard to see how he does much more than coach 'em up to their Lovie Era height of "respectable but rarely relevant".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2015, 02:28:49 PM

If this is true, and he brings Kyle Shanahan with him as OC, that's a pretty solid move for the Bears.

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Count me as whelmed. Although I am intrigued by Kyle Shanahan as OC. Not really a guy I'd call a bad hire but hard to see how he does much more than coach 'em up to their Lovie Era height of "respectable but rarely relevant".

Totally agree.
They should go out of the box on this hire. Really shake things up.

Maybe Canada? 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 14, 2015, 02:30:12 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada? 

I get that the Trestman thing burned them badly but that shouldn't scare you into only going with retreads the rest of the way. They didn't err in hiring Marc Trestman over some retread like Norv Turner or something, they erred in hiring him over a promising coordinator like Arians.

Fox is just too similar to Lovie for me to really be excited. That doesn't make it a bad hire. Very possible he turns them around quickly like he did Carolina, I just think there's a good chance he isn't able to get this shitty defense up to speed and can't rely on his normal (when he didn't have Peyton, anyway) approach of ground-and-pound, ball control offense that lets the defense win games, and they end up with a nice run of 7-9 or 8-8 seasons.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2015, 02:37:46 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada? 

I get that the Trestman thing burned them badly but that shouldn't scare you into only going with retreads the rest of the way. They didn't err in hiring Marc Trestman over some retread like Norv Turner or something, they erred in hiring him over a promising coordinator like Arians.

Fox is just too similar to Lovie for me to really be excited. That doesn't make it a bad hire. Very possible he turns them around quickly like he did Carolina, I just think there's a good chance he isn't able to get this shitty defense up to speed and can't rely on his normal (when he didn't have Peyton, anyway) approach of ground-and-pound, ball control offense that lets the defense win games, and they end up with a nice run of 7-9 or 8-8 seasons.

Well, in  future coach's defense, they're going to probably be in the 7-9/8-8 range as long as they have limited talent on defense and a mediocre QB. 

Couple things go right and you maybe get to 10-6, but ultimately John Fox or Hot Shot Coordinator is probably not the difference maker.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 14, 2015, 02:49:42 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada? 

Well, in  future coach's defense, they're going to probably be in the 7-9/8-8 range as long as they have limited talent on defense and a mediocre QB. 

Couple things go right and you maybe get to 10-6, but ultimately John Fox or Hot Shot Coordinator is probably not the difference maker.

So the consensus then is they're still shitty?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2015, 02:56:38 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada? 

Shitty but marginally competent, which is a nice change.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 14, 2015, 03:44:34 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada?  

Well, in  future coach's defense, they're going to probably be in the 7-9/8-8 range as long as they have limited talent on defense and a mediocre QB.  

Does anyone recall a coach getting a third head coaching gig in the NFL before?

Marty Schottenheimer (4 teams) is the only one I can think of.

Edit: Full list, modern era.
- Chuck Knox coached 3 teams, including the Rams twice.
- Obviously forgot Bill Parcells, who coached 4 teams.
- Wade Phillips coached 3 teams and served as interim for 3 other teams.
- Mike Shanahan coached 3 teams.
- Norv Turner has had 3 head coaching jobs
- Dick Vermeil coached 3 teams

So, there you go. Not unprecedented at all.  

/coolstorybro

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 15, 2015, 11:10:32 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 14, 2015, 03:44:34 PM

Dennis Allen rumored DC.  

Totally agree.

Maybe Canada?  

Well, in  future coach's defense, they're going to probably be in the 7-9/8-8 range as long as they have limited talent on defense and a mediocre QB.  

Does anyone recall a coach getting a third head coaching gig in the NFL before?

Marty Schottenheimer (4 teams) is the only one I can think of.

Edit: Full list, modern era.
- Chuck Knox coached 3 teams, including the Rams twice.
- Obviously forgot Bill Parcells, who coached 4 teams.
- Wade Phillips coached 3 teams and served as interim for 3 other teams.
- Mike Shanahan coached 3 teams.
- Norv Turner has had 3 head coaching jobs
- Dick Vermeil coached 3 teams

So, there you go. Not unprecedented at all.  

/coolstorybro

And if memory serves, not one of those guys won a superbowl with team #3.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 15, 2015, 01:17:16 PM

Which proves it's impossible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 15, 2015, 01:23:18 PM

Look, you assholes got six years of the optimistic fuckhead who thought Kyle Orton was a starting QB and Jay Cutler was the savior and Angelo wasn't as bad as people thought and Emery and Trestman were forward thinking innovators. That fuckhead is dead. Pessimistic Kyle is back and you're all going to look back at those years fondly. You're going to miss the guy who spent 2,000 words telling you why Jay's bad haircut was good for the offense's prospects. This organization is fucked. Abandon hope all ye who enter.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 15, 2015, 01:39:37 PM

Look, you assholes got six years of the optimistic fuckhead who thought Kyle Orton was a starting QB and Jay Cutler was the savior and Angelo wasn't as bad as people thought and Emery and Trestman were forward thinking innovators. That fuckhead is dead. Pessimistic Kyle is back and you're all going to look back at those years fondly. You're going to miss the guy who spent 2,000 words telling you why Jay's bad haircut was good for the offense's prospects. This organization is fucked. Abandon hope all ye who enter.

I'm gonna go ahead and validate all this. 

SKO's earned it. 

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »

Shut up, Kyle. You're a douche.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »

I'm arguing (?) with a meme now, but in the interest of relative seriousness, I don't really know who the preferred hire is supposed to be. Fox has a generally good resume and I think the only reason people want an up-and-coming coordinator is because they haven't had a chance to see that person be a crappy head coach yet.

I understand that it's kind of unexciting, but I think it's probably the best hire they could make.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 15, 2015, 02:06:11 PM

I'm arguing (?) with a meme now, but in the interest of relative seriousness, I don't really know who the preferred hire is supposed to be. Fox has a generally good resume and I think the only reason people want an up-and-coming coordinator is because they haven't had a chance to see that person be a crappy head coach yet.

I understand that it's kind of unexciting, but I think it's probably the best hire they could make.

That's exactly what I'm upset about. It's not even their fault. They're stuck in a situation where the best available coach is a B+. And they've got a B- quarterback they're stuck with. They're still going to be in a division with the greatest QB God's ever put on earth for the next few years and their best option to counter that is a bunch of "eh, could do worse" options. They're screwed, and I'm just embracing nihilism as the only way to function.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 15, 2015, 02:06:11 PM