News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,512 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 10:42:38 AM
They look embarrassing through the lens of hindsight in which none of those teams won the World Series. But deadline deals like most of those were are meant to get a team into the postseason with a healthy roster able to compete for a title. It's all a crapshoot at that point. Did they overpay for that chance? That's a different question and we'd have to look at who else was available to meet their needs and at what price. It's a good problem to have, I'd say. None of those trades crippled the franchises that made them.

This. The Rangers deal for Garza is a good example -- even in hindsight, they gave up three relievers and a busted prospect for a very good pitcher (at the time). It didn't work out for them, but that's how deadline deals go sometimes. The trade has been beneficial for the Cubs, but I don't think it's the fleecing everyone likes to say it is.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 10:49:23 AM
They look embarrassing through the lens of hindsight in which none of those teams won the World Series. But deadline deals like most of those were are meant to get a team into the postseason with a healthy roster able to compete for a title. It's all a crapshoot at that point. Did they overpay for that chance? That's a different question and we'd have to look at who else was available to meet their needs and at what price. It's a good problem to have, I'd say. None of those trades crippled the franchises that made them.

This. The Rangers deal for Garza is a good example -- even in hindsight, they gave up three relievers and a busted prospect for a very good pitcher (at the time). It didn't work out for them, but that's how deadline deals go sometimes. The trade has been beneficial for the Cubs, but I don't think it's the fleecing everyone likes to say it is.

That's because you don't believe in C.J. Edwards.

He's going to be the best.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 10:51:08 AM

The best reliever? Quite possibly. Which would be a fantastic thing.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 10:49:23 AM

He's going to be the best part of a trade for Hamels or Price.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 11:12:50 AM

Why don't they just make the entire plane rotation out of black boxes bullpen?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 14, 2015, 11:14:48 AM
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 11:12:50 AM

Why don't they just make the entire plane rotation out of black boxes bullpen?

Maybe they'll be the first team (in a while, at least) to try piggybacking starters at the major-league level. Edwards could be perfect for that.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 10:26:48 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 14, 2015, 07:41:05 AM
Quote from: Fork on April 14, 2015, 07:38:36 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 13, 2015, 10:14:35 PM
I would like to reiterate that this bullpen is the tits.

Neil Ramirez is the greatest ginger Mexican this side of Louis CK.

Theo has been really good at fleecing other GM's in trades. The Rangers got hosed.

The Rangers, A's, Orioles and Braves (meaning Cartini for Bonerface and Russell, TBD on Arodys/La Stella) trades just look completely embarrassing for the other teams at this point.

I hope over time that Cashner for Rizzo goes that way as well - certainly seems possible. 

The A's made some bold moves that ended up with them having their top prospects AND most of the guys the dealt for (Lester and Hammel) ending up on the Cubs.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 14, 2015, 01:17:56 PM

Theo has been really good at fleecing other GM's in trades. The Rangers got hosed.

The Rangers, A's, Orioles and Braves (meaning Cartini for Bonerface and Russell, TBD on Arodys/La Stella) trades just look completely embarrassing for the other teams at this point.

I hope over time that Cashner for Rizzo goes that way as well - certainly seems possible.  

The A's made some bold moves that ended up with them having their top prospects AND most of the guys the dealt for (Lester and Hammel) ending up on the Cubs.

But they flipped Snork for several players and gutted the team otherwise. I guess we'll never know what they could have gotten in exchange for Russell besides their return from the Cubs. If the argument is that Theo made a fantastic deal for his club, I don't see how a sane person could argue. But the A's gave themselves a chance and it just didn't work out. Someday, the Cubs will probably have to make a decision like that too and some team will end up with one of the guys in our FUTURESPLOOGE thread and we'll be too drunk to care with all the champagne in our guts, mouths, eyes and pubes.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 01:25:11 PM

But they flipped Snork for several players and gutted the team otherwise. I guess we'll never know what they could have gotten in exchange for Russell besides their return from the Cubs. If the argument is that Theo made a fantastic deal for his club, I don't see how a sane person could argue. But the A's gave themselves a chance and it just didn't work out. Someday, the Cubs will probably have to make a decision like that too and some team will end up with one of the guys in our FUTURESPLOOGE thread and we'll be too drunk to care with all the champagne in our guts, mouths, eyes and pubes.

I think...yeah...I'm sure of it...

THIS

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »

I don't criticize Billy Beane for doing what he had to try and take advantage of a championship window, which are always smaller in Oakland given their payroll restraints, but when David Price ended up getting traded a few weeks later for a much smaller return that definitely hurt.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 01:33:49 PM

I don't criticize Billy Beane for doing what he had to try and take advantage of a championship window, which are always smaller in Oakland given their payroll restraints, but when David Price ended up getting traded a few weeks later for a much smaller return that definitely hurt.

It's true. But again, we don't know what went down. I refuse to believe Beane didn't inquire about Price. Maybe it was Tampa that fucked that up.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 01:38:14 PM

It's true. But again, we don't know what went down. I refuse to believe Beane didn't inquire about Price. Maybe it was Tampa that fucked that up.

We get it Pex, you love Billy Beane.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 14, 2015, 01:40:30 PM

Thank God someone (other than me) said this.

There's a lot of history here too, not just today.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 01:43:46 PM

What's not to love?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 14, 2015, 01:43:46 PM

What's not to love?

Powdered Toast Man likes this.