News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,593 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #915 on: August 27, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 27, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
Dan Haren reminds me of when the Cubs tried to get anything--ANYTHING-- out of Steve Trachsel in late 2007 (or Don Wengert in 1998).

Send this fucker out to pasture.  He's done.  His existence on this team is pointless.  Surely they can't do any worse than Wada, right?  Right?

I'd rather see them put Richard back in the rotation.  At least his fastball can break a window
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #916 on: August 27, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 27, 2015, 03:53:12 PM
Dan Haren reminds me of when the Cubs tried to get anything--ANYTHING-- out of Steve Trachsel in late 2007 (or Don Wengert in 1998).

Send this fucker out to pasture.  He's done.  His existence on this team is pointless.  Surely they can't do any worse than Wada, right?  Right?

I'd rather see them put Richard back in the rotation.  At least his fastball can break a window

Fortunately, with Lester, Jake and whatever they get out of Hammel the rest of the way, they can make the playoffs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #917 on: August 27, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »

I'm guessing there aren't enough days off to try a 4 man?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 27, 2015, 04:15:58 PM

I don't think so. And ideally, they'd probably try to find an extra day of rest here or there for Lester and Arrieta, rather than push them.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #919 on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2015, 04:27:41 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 27, 2015, 04:15:58 PM

I don't think so. And ideally, they'd probably try to find an extra day of rest here or there for Lester and Arrieta, rather than push them.

I think Maddon might try making sure he has Lester/Jake/Hammel teed up for the Cardinals series starting 9/7, and if they don't sweep there they'll be content with one of the WC spots.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #920 on: August 27, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
This bullpen might be a problem, guys.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #921 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »
September can't get here fast enough.  I can't bear to stomach the ass-end of this bench and bullpen much longer.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #922 on: August 27, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 27, 2015, 05:14:54 PM
This bullpen might be a problem, guys.

Eh. Grimm/Strop/Rondon are as good as any trio anyone else can throw out there. I really doubt James Russell and Tommy Hunter will get the chance to do much harm in meaningful situations
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #923 on: August 27, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
Great news: Fernando Rodney has been acquired to fill the Rafael Soriano "washed up old reliever who's shit" role.

But it also means Brian Shitter has finally been DFA'd. I'm conflicted.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #924 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 27, 2015, 07:20:36 PM
Great news: Fernando Rodney has been acquired to fill the Rafael Soriano "washed up old reliever who's shit" role.

But it also means Brian Shitter has finally been DFA'd. I'm conflicted.

For what it's worth, Rodney makes more sense than Soriano because Rodney's stuff seems as good as it was last year when he was very effective. It appears he's leaving the ball up more, so maybe it's a mechanical issue they think he can fix.

As long as he's only allowed to pitch in low leverage situations until he proves he can handle more, I'm okay with it. If Joe inexplicably goes to him in extras in a tie game when Justin Grimm is still sitting in the pen, like he did with Soriano vs the Phillies, I shall have grievances. 

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #925 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »
Another roster question: if Dexter is more than a little banged up, the outfield defense depth is looking pretty shitty right now. Szczur and (maybe) Denorfia are the only guys you can expect anything more than "barely competent" from at this point. Would there be any downside to adding Almora to the 40-man to use purely as a defensive replacement in September? Herrera's presence will be pointless with both Baez and La Stella on the roster, and I don't know or care what Yoervis Medina is up to these days, so there's two good DFA candidates who are currently taking up a spot on the 40-man.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #926 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 28, 2015, 09:42:10 AM
Another roster question: if Dexter is more than a little banged up, the outfield defense depth is looking pretty shitty right now. Szczur and (maybe) Denorfia are the only guys you can expect anything more than "barely competent" from at this point. Would there be any downside to adding Almora to the 40-man to use purely as a defensive replacement in September? Herrera's presence will be pointless with both Baez and La Stella on the roster, and I don't know or care what Yoervis Medina is up to these days, so there's two good DFA candidates who are currently taking up a spot on the 40-man.

Only negative is from a business standpoint. Getting him on the 40-man starts the Rule V clock.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #927 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »

I think that might actually be why they brought back Bonerface on a minor league deal, so they have one actual backup CF on the roster. *Shudder*. Please be okay, Dex.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #928 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM

Only negative is from a business standpoint. Getting him on the 40-man starts the Rule V clock.

Huh? Being on the 40-man excludes him from Rule V

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #929 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 28, 2015, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM

Huh? Being on the 40-man excludes him from Rule V

Chuck must've meant his service time clock, though I don't think that'll be nearly as much of an issue for Almora as it was for Bryant since I don't think Albert's going to break the bank at any point.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs