News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,580 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #930 on: August 28, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 28, 2015, 10:14:37 AM
Quote from: Yeti on August 28, 2015, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM
Quote from: R-V on August 28, 2015, 09:42:10 AM
Another roster question: if Dexter is more than a little banged up, the outfield defense depth is looking pretty shitty right now. Szczur and (maybe) Denorfia are the only guys you can expect anything more than "barely competent" from at this point. Would there be any downside to adding Almora to the 40-man to use purely as a defensive replacement in September? Herrera's presence will be pointless with both Baez and La Stella on the roster, and I don't know or care what Yoervis Medina is up to these days, so there's two good DFA candidates who are currently taking up a spot on the 40-man.

Only negative is from a business standpoint. Getting him on the 40-man starts the Rule V clock.

Huh? Being on the 40-man excludes him from Rule V

Chuck must've meant his service time clock, though I don't think that'll be nearly as much of an issue for Almora as it was for Bryant since I don't think Albert's going to break the bank at any point.

Why are we worried about Dexter? He caught a pitch on the hand and fouled one off his shin in a three-day span. Stayed in the game both times. Is there something else you guys have heard about that's bothering him?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #931 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
Yesterday's game sorta felt like what the Cubs might be up against in a playoff. I'm not trying to be overly negative - I still very much believe in the plan and think things are going swimmingly, overall.

Thinking of it like this: the Cubs have to either beat St. Louis or Pittsburgh to get to the NLCS - maybe both. Pittsburgh's been knocking on that door for the better part of three years now. St. Louis has unquestionable credentials. The Cubs are just now showing up. Obviously anything can happen on any given day and Dan Haren certainly won't be starting a game in the playoffs. But with Bumgardner making every hitter look like an absolute moron and the Cards and Pirates both having top of the rotation guys who can and have already done the same - I just get the feeling the playoff game or games are going to be painful.

I'm prepping myself accordingly.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #932 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 28, 2015, 10:24:07 AM
Yesterday's game sorta felt like what the Cubs might be up against in a playoff. I'm not trying to be overly negative - I still very much believe in the plan and think things are going swimmingly, overall.

Thinking of it like this: the Cubs have to either beat St. Louis or Pittsburgh to get to the NLCS - maybe both. Pittsburgh's been knocking on that door for the better part of three years now. St. Louis has unquestionable credentials. The Cubs are just now showing up. Obviously anything can happen on any given day and Dan Haren certainly won't be starting a game in the playoffs. But with Bumgardner making every hitter look like an absolute moron and the Cards and Pirates both having top of the rotation guys who can and have already done the same - I just get the feeling the playoff game or games are going to be painful.

If they run a lineup including Dan Haren, Chris Denorfia and Jonathan Herrera with Schwarber catching into a one-game playoff, fuck my entire life and everything in it. You sir, must chill.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #933 on: August 28, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »

True, the Cubs have also won games this year vs. Gerrit Cole, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Zach Greinke, and Francisco Liriano, among others. They also knocked Martinez and Wacha around, even though they eventually lost those games thanks to the bullpen. They're 21-9 against the Giants/Dodgers/Mets/Pirates this year, and while St. Louis owned them early on they nearly took 3/4 last time and that was before Schwarber was back up and right in the middle of the Bryant/Rizzo slumps.

They're good enough, when healthy (and I think not having Fowler and Soler in vs. a lefty like MadBum hurts, given that with Montero, Coghlan, and Schwarber being left-handed that left the Cubs without 5 of their best hitters vs a tough LHP)  to beat anybody.

Of course the playoffs are going to be stressful, but the fact that the Pirates have failed in the playoffs multiple times recently makes them no more likely to pull off a win this time than the Cubs.

Also, those fuckers are going to have to hit Jake Arrieta to win, so fuck 'em.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #934 on: August 28, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 28, 2015, 10:28:46 AM

If they run a lineup including Dan Haren, Chris Denorfia and Jonathan Herrera with Schwarber catching into a one-game playoff, fuck my entire life and everything in it. You sir, must chill.

There shall be zero chill from now to elimination day.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #935 on: August 28, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Yesterday's game sorta felt like what the Cubs might be up against in a playoff.
What they were up against yesterday was Madison Bumgarner.  Fortunately there is only one of him.  He was 5 - 0 in August.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #936 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
I don't blame Slaky at all for having a full-on colon blow style attack of the nervous shits about the very thought of the Cubs in a wildcard game. I get it. We'd all be idiots not to feel that any time they actually have a shot at this thing.

Just attribute it to your battle scars and don't try to seek justification for it by citing one game where they ran a getaway day lineup out there behind their fifth starter on the road vs one of the ten best pitchers in baseball.

Logically this team has as many strengths (and flaws) as any team they'll run up against in the postseason, but it's okay to just be afraid because the playoffs are a nightmarish thunderdome where logic is not applicable.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #937 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 28, 2015, 10:23:36 AM
Another roster question: if Dexter is more than a little banged up, the outfield defense depth is looking pretty shitty right now. Szczur and (maybe) Denorfia are the only guys you can expect anything more than "barely competent" from at this point. Would there be any downside to adding Almora to the 40-man to use purely as a defensive replacement in September? Herrera's presence will be pointless with both Baez and La Stella on the roster, and I don't know or care what Yoervis Medina is up to these days, so there's two good DFA candidates who are currently taking up a spot on the 40-man.

Only negative is from a business standpoint. Getting him on the 40-man starts the Rule V clock.

Chuck must've meant his service time clock, though I don't think that'll be nearly as much of an issue for Almora as it was for Bryant since I don't think Albert's going to break the bank at any point.

Why are we worried about Dexter? He caught a pitch on the hand and fouled one off his shin in a three-day span. Stayed in the game both times. Is there something else you guys have heard about that's bothering him?

I haven't heard that he's seriously hurt, but his injury just magnifies my lack of comfort with the Cubs OF defense. Dexter is their only current outfielder who I trust to make a play. I guess Szczur too, but he's a boring loser. It'd be fun to actually swee this fancy defense of Almora's that we've heard about.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #938 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 28, 2015, 11:58:08 AM
I don't blame Slaky at all for having a full-on colon blow style attack of the nervous shits about the very thought of the Cubs in a wildcard game. I get it. We'd all be idiots not to feel that any time they actually have a shot at this thing.

Just attribute it to your battle scars and don't try to seek justification for it by citing one game where they ran a getaway day lineup out there behind their fifth starter on the road vs one of the ten best pitchers in baseball.

Logically this team has as many strengths (and flaws) as any team they'll run up against in the postseason, but it's okay to just be afraid because the playoffs are a nightmarish thunderdome where logic is not applicable.

Pretty much. It would have been cool if they used their hot streak magic to beat Bumgarner around but they didn't and in the process they got lit up by something called Kelby. Goddamn it I hate that guy.

Hopefully they can get into that real shitty Dodger pen this weekend a few times.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #939 on: August 28, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 28, 2015, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on August 28, 2015, 10:23:36 AM

I haven't heard that he's seriously hurt, but his injury just magnifies my lack of comfort with the Cubs OF defense. Dexter is their only current outfielder who I trust to make a play. I guess Szczur too, but he's a boring loser. It'd be fun to actually swee this fancy defense of Almora's that we've heard about.

Szczur wasn't even that great out there yesterday; he looked like a dope lunging for that ball and falling flat on his face.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #940 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »
DPD.  Sounds like Manny Ramirez is really working out as an assistant coach/director of motivation.  Now, who's for hiring Pedro Martinez for the same role with the pitchers?

Quote"Smart move by Theo because Manny is a changed man," former teammate Pedro Martinez said. "Manny wants to really leave a positive message for kids coming up in baseball. Also Manny knows his craft about hitting and working and being dedicated better than anybody ever knows."

"Manny can help Theo a lot, and I hope Theo pulls off what he pulled off in Boston, even though a lot of us were recruited by (former Red Sox GM) Dan Duquette," Martinez said.

"Theo has the talent, the experience, and he's surprised everybody. Believe me, I'm pulling for the Cubs because I can't wait to see 107 years go away. Then they can send the billy goat to rest in peace."

Gotta love Pedro.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #941 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 28, 2015, 07:09:53 PM
DPD.  Sounds like Manny Ramirez is really working out as an assistant coach/director of motivation.  Now, who's for hiring Pedro Martinez for the same role with the pitchers?

Quote"Smart move by Theo because Manny is a changed man," former teammate Pedro Martinez said. "Manny wants to really leave a positive message for kids coming up in baseball. Also Manny knows his craft about hitting and working and being dedicated better than anybody ever knows."

"Manny can help Theo a lot, and I hope Theo pulls off what he pulled off in Boston, even though a lot of us were recruited by (former Red Sox GM) Dan Duquette," Martinez said.

"Theo has the talent, the experience, and he's surprised everybody. Believe me, I'm pulling for the Cubs because I can't wait to see 107 years go away. Then they can send the billy goat to rest in peace."

Gotta love Pedro.

I do love Pedro.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #942 on: August 30, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 29, 2015, 08:52:26 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 28, 2015, 07:09:53 PM

Gotta love Pedro.

I do love Pedro.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #943 on: August 30, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Neil Ramirez has started his rehab assignment with Tennessee.  Hopefully he comes back as 2014 Neil Ramirez.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #944 on: August 31, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »
I think the pajama party thing was definitely a good idea last night.  That was probably one hell of a hangover, though.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.