News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 64,894 )

Hoyas

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 29, 2016, 03:04:53 PM
Joe Sheehan:

(The final batter of the night was Javier Baez, who was worked into the ground by Allen in a five-pitch at-bat in which Allen got swinging strikes on consecutive pitches low and outside and high and inside. It was an awful match-up for Baez, but the Cubs were out of left-handed batters, in part because one of them was standing on third base. Using Coghlan to run for Rizzo gained maybe fractions of a run, while costing the Cubs much more by forcing Baez to hit off Allen, rather than Coghlan. I keep coming back to this: Maddon is a good manager on the whole, but he's not a particularly good tactical manager. Burning Coghlan as a pinch-runner rather than saving him to hit for Baez was the biggest managerial mistake of the Series so far.)

Unsaid in this is that if Chris Coghlan is the best option, the game is already over.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2016, 12:57:14 PM
Quote from: CBStew on October 29, 2016, 12:26:44 PM
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2016, 12:07:14 PM
Quote from: CBStew on October 29, 2016, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 29, 2016, 08:43:18 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 29, 2016, 08:39:57 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 29, 2016, 12:16:11 AM
For as bad as Heyward is...Soler dogging it out of the box cost him 90 feet and tying the game.  And for that lack of effort, this guy can get shipped wherever in the offseason, and I seriously won't give a fuck.  Gutless.

This is a dumb opinion.

And easily read as borderline racist, what with accusing the black player of not hustling.
What I don't understand is why he wrote "Gutless".  "Clueless", maybe?  Frustrating?  Of course.   If he had gotten to third earlier who knows what might have happened on the throw?  But it didn't show a lack of courage.  However, I agree with him that Soler is expendable.

Honestly, had he hustled the whole way through, people would've been pissed that he got gunned down easily at the plate instead of settling for a triple.
See?  "Gunned down easily at the plate."  You are thinking like a Cub fan.

No. I'm thinking like someone with a rudimentary knowledge of Newtonian physics.

"In other words, the laws of Newton could be stated not in the form F = ma but in the form: the average kinetic energy less the average potential energy is as little as possible for the path of an object going from one point to another." Hamiltonian? Friction term? Oldsmobile?

Oh, wait, is this bitching about failure to achieve an inside-the-park HR? I've been clawing my way through the perceived world lately.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Pitching Lackey was easily the worst decision of Maddon's managerial career.  If they go to Kluber, you have to go to Lester, especially down a game.  Period.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 29, 2016, 08:07:10 PM
Pitching Lackey was easily the worst decision of Maddon's managerial career.  If they go to Kluber, you have to go to Lester, especially down a game.  Period.

Okay.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
Why in the fucking fuck did Lackey bat for himself. Fuck off, Joe. It's not fucking May.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 29, 2016, 08:21:20 PM
Why in the fucking fuck did Lackey bat for himself. Fuck off, Joe. It's not fucking May.

He's been bad all series. And most of the playoffs, really.

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »

And why was his AB so, so much worse than Kluber's?  Oh, that's right.  One is a shitty pitcher, and one is an ace.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 29, 2016, 08:31:21 PM

And why was his AB so, so much worse than Kluber's?  Oh, that's right.  One is a shitty pitcher, and one is an ace.

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
After a useless MLB push notification ("Indians want another Cleveland parade" ... well good for fuckin' them) I got a more useful one. Joe is shaking up the lineup. It's ... interesting? I don't know? Just hit.

CF Fowler
DH Schwarber
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
LF Zobrist
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 01, 2016, 10:26:31 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yup. Chapman's pitches in the 9th were mostly topping out at 98. Hope he's rested and ready to go tomorrow.
M'lady.

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:06 PM »
That move was fucking stupid Maddon, should've let Kyle go one more batter...

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
TERRIBLE job managing tonight...weak ass grounder to get a guy on with 2 outs and yanks Lester for Chapman to come in with runners on...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
Go to hell, Joe
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2016, 10:21:56 PM
Go to hell, Joe

Go to the unemployment line. Don't pass Go. Don't collect $200.