News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 65,000 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #480 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
Joe's plan to fix the offense: Start Zobrist and Heyward again. What could go wrong!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
How the fuck did Happ get so far into the doghouse?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 17, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
Joe's plan to fix the offense: Start Zobrist and Heyward again. What could go wrong!

Anytime you can start three guys with absolutely no fucking power with the wind blowing out, gotta do it
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: October 17, 2017, 11:11:59 PM »
Quote from: D. Doluntap on October 17, 2017, 06:05:18 PM

That play in CF may explain at least some of that...
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 17, 2017, 11:11:59 PM

He should start at 2B. He can ground out just as well as Zobrist can!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
Quote from: D. Doluntap on October 17, 2017, 11:14:25 PM

He should start at 2B. He can ground out just as well as Zobrist can!

Or he can play a corner OF spot. Either way Zobrist is also a bad defender who misplayed a ball so
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: October 18, 2017, 04:37:18 AM »

I'm still not sure what happened there.  Did he not realise he had the ball?  Did he realise he'd caught it but not realise that he'd dropped it?  Fucking bizarre.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: October 18, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
Regarding Happ, Joe has to get smarter on his double switches. Last night, he let Jay hit and the inning ended on Jay's GIDP. He immediately double switched Jay out for Happ to bring in Edwards batting in Jay's spot. Now, without the double switch, Edwards is due up third in the seventh. Joe made a major mistake here.

Either: A) Pinch hit for Jay with Happ with a runner on and one out so Happ faces a righty; or B) Leave Jay in and save Happ to pinch hit for Edwards in the 7th.  There's no way Joe was letting Edwards go two innings.

Bad, bad, bad.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: October 18, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
What I wouldn't give for an hour with Theo to hear, unfiltered, what he really thinks of Joe's moves this postseason. The kind of stuff he says when only Jed is around and they've had a few.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: October 18, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 18, 2017, 08:40:02 AM
Regarding Happ, Joe has to get smarter on his double switches. Last night, he let Jay hit and the inning ended on Jay's GIDP. He immediately double switched Jay out for Happ to bring in Edwards batting in Jay's spot. Now, without the double switch, Edwards is due up third in the seventh. Joe made a major mistake here.

Either: A) Pinch hit for Jay with Happ with a runner on and one out so Happ faces a righty; or B) Leave Jay in and save Happ to pinch hit for Edwards in the 7th.  There's no way Joe was letting Edwards go two innings.

Bad, bad, bad.

I will say I have this weird feeling that Maddon sees the usage of the double-switch as some sign of surefire in-game managerial tactical gamesmanship which he heard about during all of his years as an American league manager and something that he just couldn't wait to get his paws on, even if the double-switch is, in reality, just a logical device that can be used when you fully expect or need your reliever to go 1+innings.  It seems any time Joe makes a pitching change he can't help but do it alongside a double-switch and it also seems that he's gotten so cute with it that he has on occasion left the team in a worse position to win the game  (i.e. earlier in the playoffs--can't remember which game--when he somehow managed to double-switch both Almora and Heyward out of a close game).  
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: October 18, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on October 18, 2017, 11:44:19 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 18, 2017, 08:40:02 AM

Either: A) Pinch hit for Jay with Happ with a runner on and one out so Happ faces a righty; or B) Leave Jay in and save Happ to pinch hit for Edwards in the 7th.  There's no way Joe was letting Edwards go two innings.

Bad, bad, bad.

I will say I have this weird feeling that Maddon sees the usage of the double-switch as some sign of surefire in-game managerial tactical gamesmanship which he heard about during all of his years as an American league manager and something that he just couldn't wait to get his paws on, even if the double-switch is, in reality, just a logical device that can be used when you fully expect or need your reliever to go 1+innings.  It seems any time Joe makes a pitching change he can't help but do it alongside a double-switch and it also seems that he's gotten so cute with it that he has on occasion left the team in a worse position to win the game  (i.e. earlier in the playoffs--can't remember which game--when he somehow managed to double-switch both Almora and Heyward out of a close game).  

It could be a byproduct of the embarrassment of riches he has in terms of players who can play multiple positions (Zobrist, Happ, LaStella, Baez, Bryant; even Schwarber, Contreras and Avila). Smoke 'em if you got 'em, I guess.

pisomojado8

• Chocolate Salty Balls
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
It was nice to let MLB let the Big XII crew take over umpiring this game for bit, then confused the LA Dodgers for Texa$$$
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »
Quote from: pisomojado8 on October 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
It was nice to let MLB let the Big XII crew take over umpiring this game for bit, then confused the LA Dodgers for Texa$$$

What

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 18, 2017, 11:23:59 AM
What I wouldn't give for an hour with Theo to hear, unfiltered, what he really thinks of Joe's moves this postseason. The kind of stuff he says when only Jed is around and they've had a few.

Based on what we know about Theo, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be any different if Joe was in the room as well.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 19, 2017, 05:04:46 AM
Quote from: pisomojado8 on October 18, 2017, 10:52:36 PM

What

Jokes made from a POV not shared by the majority are hard to pull off.

Maybe a generalized PAC12 referee crew - widely recongnized as having terrible moments - reference would have landed better?