News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 64,973 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2016, 10:26:15 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 04, 2016, 09:56:40 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 03, 2016, 03:58:27 PM
Bunting with your clean up hitter with no outs to set up a struggling rookie and Jason Heyward is about a thousand different kinds of dumb.

"struggling rookie" = 4 for 8 in the series up to that point.

That's quite the sample size you're working with there. He's hitting .224/.328/.276 since the break. I mean I hope he's warming back up as well and he will because he's a great hitter, but the point stands that the bunt there was the wrong play. They won anyway but that doesn't really make it *not* a bad decision.

That said, Joe said he only put the sign up for the first attempt and then called it off once Zobrist got ahead in the count, it was Zobrist deciding he wasn't comfortable facing Rodney's stuff that led to him laying it down the rest of the AB so whatever. Ben Zobrist knows more about what he thinks he can do against Fernando Rodney than I do. Complaint withdrawn.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2016, 10:26:15 AM
Bunting with your clean up hitter with no outs to set up a struggling rookie and Jason Heyward is about a thousand different kinds of dumb.

That's quite the sample size you're working with there. He's got hitting .224/.328/.276 since the break. I mean I hope he's warming back up as well and he will because he's a great hitter, but the point stands that the bunt there was the wrong play. They won anyway but that doesn't really make it *not* a bad decision.

That said, Joe said he only put the sign up for the first attempt and then called it off once Zobrist got ahead in the count, it was Zobrist deciding he wasn't comfortable facing Rodney's stuff that led to him laying it down the rest of the AB so whatever. Ben Zobrist knows more about what he thinks he can do against Fernando Rodney than I do. Complaint withdrawn.

Photoshop stands.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 04, 2016, 10:08:13 AM
Colonel SKurtz:

QuoteThe horror... the horror... We train young men to bunt with with nobody out and runners on first and second, but their managers won't allow them to write "fuck" on their baseball bats because it's obscene!

EDIT: Hat tip to Oleg for the idea.

I'm very uncomfortable with how weird I look without hair
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2016, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: morpheus on August 04, 2016, 10:08:13 AM
Colonel SKurtz:

QuoteThe horror... the horror... We train young men to bunt with with nobody out and runners on first and second, but their managers won't allow them to write "fuck" on their baseball bats because it's obscene!

EDIT: Hat tip to Oleg for the idea.

I'm very uncomfortable with how weird I look without hair

Real mean comb with razor blades--give it a shot!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »

That's quite the sample size you're working with there.

Maybe, but if Joe saw him struggling, he had both Russell (who has driven damn near as many runs as Bryant, FWIW) and Sczcur ready to pinch hit, and he left Contreras in there after the bunt.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 04, 2016, 01:04:28 PM

That's quite the sample size you're working with there.

Maybe, but if Joe saw him struggling, he had both Russell (who has driven damn near as many runs as Bryant, FWIW) and Sczcur ready to pinch hit, and he left Contreras in there after the bunt.

That's not really my point? I don't care if Joe saw him as struggling or not, the situation is they had guys on first and second with no out and the cleanup hitter batting against a guy who couldn't throw strikes. Giving up an out there, and reducing yourself to two chances (one of which would be that a guy with a .640 OPS gets a 2 out hit) decreased their win probability and their run expectancy in that situation.

It was without question the wrong move, but again Joe changed his mind after Rodney fell behind in the count, and the rest was Zobrist's decision, so I withdraw the complaint about Joe. He saw the error of his ways and the rest was Zobrist lacking the confidence to do much against Rodney's change up and assuming he could help the team better by bunting. I'd urge him to have more faith in himself next time, I guess, but it's not the strategic blunder it seemed at the time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:25 AM »
If you're willing to use Chapman in the eighth LET HIM START THE FUCKING 8TH AGAINST THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN ORDER.

Joe fucked up good

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2016, 01:47:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 11, 2016, 12:10:25 AM
If you're willing to use Chapman in the eighth LET HIM START THE FUCKING 8TH AGAINST THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN ORDER.

Joe fucked up good

It should be Joe's head if they lose this series.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2016, 01:49:13 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 11, 2016, 01:47:51 AM

Joe fucked up good

Lol
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2016, 07:03:36 AM »

Joe fucked up good

I was telling this to my brother as the 8th inning began.  After Chapman surrendered the lead, I turned off the TV and went to bed.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2016, 07:43:28 AM »

Joe fucked up good

Jesus, dude

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »

Joe fucked up good

He was terrible last night, but c'mon dude.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2016, 09:31:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 11, 2016, 08:31:26 AM

Joe fucked up good

If Theo is going to give up significant assets to acquire rentals, he has to have a manager that will use those assets optimally in the postseason. I love Joe, and he could be Jeebus otherwise, but if he can't effectively use a bullpen in the postseason, he has no business managing a WS contender.

To put it another way: only managers who can effectively manage bullpens should manage the Cubs.

And it wasn't just last night. There have been several questionable instances of bullpen use this season and some outright debacles (the extra inning game in Milwaukee in May-ish).

It's counter-productive to have Theo's acquisitions thwarted by poor asset management.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 11, 2016, 09:31:39 AM

Joe fucked up good

If Theo is going to give up significant assets to acquire rentals, he has to have a manager that will use those assets optimally in the postseason. I love Joe, and he could be Jeebus otherwise, but if he can't effectively use a bullpen in the postseason, he has no business managing a WS contender.

To put it another way: only managers who can effectively manage bullpens should manage the Cubs.

And it wasn't just last night. There have been several questionable instances of bullpen use this season and some outright debacles (the extra inning game in Milwaukee in May-ish).

It's counter-productive to have Theo's acquisitions thwarted by poor asset management.

You entirely deserve the backlash that you are about to experience.
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 11, 2016, 09:37:36 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 11, 2016, 09:31:39 AM

Joe fucked up good

You entirely deserve the backlash that you are about to experience.

It'll be nice to link to after tonight.