News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn David Ross  ( 21,648 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn David Ross
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 11:03:51 AM
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2015, 10:58:41 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 15, 2015, 10:35:36 AM

A catcher who can't hit squatting behind the dish when your ace pitching isn't exactly a new thing, guys. Why get worked up over it now?

Because why have TWO of those guys? They traded for Montero and accepted his massive contract because he is a top notch defensive catcher. There's no reason Jon Lester needs a personal catcher wasting a spot they very obviously need for another bench player when they already have Montero on the roster.

Like I said, this isn't Maddux not wanting to throw to Michael Barrett, a moron and shitty defensive catcher. This is choosing a catcher who isn't even as good behind the plate as your regular starter, and who takes up a spot that could go to someone who could actually pinch it.

Isn't this, basically, what Castillo is right now?  With all the positional flexibility on the rest of the roster, Castillo is a guy who can pinch hit.  Woo hoo!  I don't understand what roster spot Ross is wasting.  They need a backup catcher no matter what, right?  If that backup catcher is Castillo, they'd need another "someone who could actually pinch hit".  I don't understand...

Well golly why have two guys capable of pinch hitting when you have one!

How often will your backup catcher pinch hit in a close game?  I'm thinking most of the time he's held back in case something happens to the starter, right?  For fuck's sake, he's a goddamn backup catcher!

I'm all for firebarning those who deserve it (fuck you, Blake Dewitt).  But, jebus...let's everyone just calm down!!!!!

Adding kindling.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 09:30:04 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 15, 2015, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 09:24:40 AM
Anyways this is the hate David Ross thread. I have no issue with Montero. I think he'll end up hitting enough to be a useful catcher given his good defense. The point is that if Montero is this great defensive catcher that's a league leader in framing why have a second no-hit, good defense catcher backing him up?

STAY ON TARGET PEOPLE, David Ross must burn.

It's been a week no one gets firebarned. Come on.

I wanted to get out in front of this. I will bet my finest belt that by the end of this season there's no desipiot alive who won't want to add kindling to this purging blaze.

Challenge accepted.  *orders Ross shirsey*
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2015, 11:06:18 AM

A catcher who can't hit squatting behind the dish when your ace pitching isn't exactly a new thing, guys. Why get worked up over it now?

Because why have TWO of those guys? They traded for Montero and accepted his massive contract because he is a top notch defensive catcher. There's no reason Jon Lester needs a personal catcher wasting a spot they very obviously need for another bench player when they already have Montero on the roster.

Like I said, this isn't Maddux not wanting to throw to Michael Barrett, a moron and shitty defensive catcher. This is choosing a catcher who isn't even as good behind the plate as your regular starter, and who takes up a spot that could go to someone who could actually pinch it.

Isn't this, basically, what Castillo is right now?  With all the positional flexibility on the rest of the roster, Castillo is a guy who can pinch hit.  Woo hoo!  I don't understand what roster spot Ross is wasting.  They need a backup catcher no matter what, right?  If that backup catcher is Castillo, they'd need another "someone who could actually pinch hit".  I don't understand...

How often will your backup catcher pinch hit in a close game?  I'm thinking most of the time he's held back in case something happens to the starter, right?  For fuck's sake, he's a goddamn backup catcher!

I'm all for firebarning those who deserve it (fuck you, Blake Dewitt).  But, jebus...let's everyone just calm down!!!!!

Adding kindling.

Well why did they sign 2015 David Ross if 2011 David Ross was available?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
.....there's a lot of active baseball talk on Desipio right now and it rules. I missed this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 15, 2015, 11:04:16 AM

Geez why don't you just marry David Ross, Oleg?

They share that grey-ish beard thing

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 11:12:55 AM
.....there's a lot of active baseball talk on Desipio right now and it rules. I missed this.

THIS

Glad to see a return of the multiple blue buttons upon checking this page...
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 11:12:27 AM

Adding kindling.

No shit. Let's go out and sign 2011 Lance Berkman and his .959 OPS to come off the bench and pinch-hit. He's available, after all.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 15, 2015, 11:20:43 AM

Adding kindling.

No shit. Let's go out and sign 2011 Lance Berkman and his .959 OPS to come off the bench and pinch-hit. He's available, after all.

I'm sorry.  When I posted the link, it automatically turned the words to blue font.  Green was not available.  I figured the "kindling" thing would add the proper tone but I guess not.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:55 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2015, 11:26:25 AM

Adding kindling.

I'm sorry.  When I posted the link, it automatically turned the words to blue font.  Green was not available.  I figured the "kindling" thing would add the proper tone but I guess not.

Hey, Oleg?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 15, 2015, 11:30:55 AM
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2015, 11:26:25 AM

Adding kindling.

Hey, Oleg?

Why start now?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »

Adding kindling.

I'm still getting over the logic of "why not turn the positive of a backup catcher who can hit into a negative by adding a second no-hit backup catcher at the expense of a position player who might be able to hit?"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
I'm just happy to have someone to hate.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 15, 2015, 11:36:25 AM

Adding kindling.

I'm still getting over the logic of "why not turn the positive of a backup catcher who can hit into a negative by adding a second no-hit backup catcher at the expense of a position player who might be able to hit?"

Oleg does have a valid point about backup catchers generally not being used as pinch-hitters. If Montero & Castillo are the only catchers on the roster, Beef probably does not pinch-hit in these last 3 games. Then again, Maddon likes to take nice soft poops on conventional baseball wisdom, so who knows.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
By the way, here's what I was looking for when I ran across the 2011 David Ross piece.

I'm pretty sure we've all seen it before.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2015, 11:41:16 AM
By the way, here's what I was looking for when I ran across the 2011 David Ross piece.

I'm pretty sure we've all seen it before.

Well, that link is even older than the first one you posted.