News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn David Ross  ( 21,652 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn David Ross
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 20, 2015, 09:08:39 AM
I don't hate David Ross, but I do hate that the Cubs think they need him over Welington Castillo.

And I know it's temporary (at least I hope), but they've currently got a four-man bench with two of those guys being catchers. Between that and the pitcher hitting 8th, they're getting into some really weird late-game situations.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »

I'm warming up some David Ross hate, if only because I know somehow Ryan Dempster is involved in all this.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 20, 2015, 09:17:43 AM
I don't hate David Ross, but I do hate that the Cubs think they need him over Welington Castillo.

And I know it's temporary (at least I hope), but they've currently got a four-man bench with two of those guys being catchers. Between that and the pitcher hitting 8th, they're getting into some really weird late-game situations.

And one of those bench guys being Mendy, who has been about as close to worthless as you can get at the plate this year. Even Valaika's career .238/.282/.351 would be more useful on the bench right now.

You and RV talked about it on Twitter yesterday, but it's definitely worth noting that for as entertaining and much improved as this team is, there's still some glaring holes. Fortunately they seem capable of being filled fairly easily internally. Upgrade Herrerra for Russell, replace Mendy with La Stella, Grimm/Ramirez in for Jackson/Schlitter. Until those moves happen though, there's gonna be some firebarnin'
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 09:21:48 AM

And one of those bench guys being Mendy, who has been about as close to worthless as you can get at the plate this year. Even Valaika's career .238/.282/.351 would be more useful on the bench right now.

You and RV talked about it on Twitter yesterday, but it's definitely worth noting that for as entertaining and much improved as this team is, there's still some glaring holes. Fortunately they seem capable of being filled fairly easily internally. Upgrade Herrerra for Russell, replace Mendy with La Stella, Grimm/Ramirez in for Jackson/Schlitter. Until those moves happen though, there's gonna be some firebarnin'

I hate Edwin Jackson more than anybody on this roster, really. But I can't hate his 4 scoreless, walkless innings so far.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 20, 2015, 09:38:43 AM

I hate Edwin Jackson more than anybody on this roster, really. But I can't hate his 4 scoreless, walkless innings so far.

I can't hate anybody who takes mopup innings away from somebody you might actually need in a crucial situation. and crucial situations and Edwin Jackson still should never intersect.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 20, 2015, 09:38:43 AM

Yeah, until Grimm & Ramirez are back, I see no problem with giving Jackson a shot in that 6th inning role that Schlitter's been peeing all over with his butt. He can't do much worse and there's a chance (granted, it's an almost zero chance) that he becomes a competent reliever.

The bullpen issues have also been magnified because the starters are giving up a ridiculous BABIP of .349, compared to .308 last year (only the Indians starters are worse). That will surely/hopefully come back to earth as the season goes on, which will allow the starters to go deeper into games, which will also serve to remove the Schlitters and Jacksons from the equation.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 20, 2015, 09:20:34 AM

I'm warming up some David Ross hate, if only because I know somehow Ryan Dempster is involved in all this.

Dempster begat Hendricks. Randall Delgado, in the mean time, is a 7th inning reliever

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 20, 2015, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 20, 2015, 09:20:34 AM

Dempster begat Hendricks. Randall Delgado, in the mean time, is a 7th inning reliever

And not a very good one. Dempster's unicycling asshattery or whatever netted the Cubs a much better return.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
I still hate David Ross plenty, but that walk against Cashner in the 3rd yesterday was a hell of an AB.

Granted, it just led to Lester having to come up with 2 outs and bases loaded where he struck out and maybe Ross should get a fucking hit every now and then.

But still, pretty decent AB.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 20, 2015, 10:22:42 AM
I still hate David Ross plenty, but that walk against Cashner in the 3rd yesterday was a hell of an AB.

Granted, it just led to Lester having to come up with 2 outs and bases loaded where he struck out and maybe Ross should get a fucking hit every now and then.

But still, pretty decent AB.

Twice in two days, actually.  He's just a working man trying to earn an honest living, you know?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
We're commending a guy batting in front of the pitcher for getting pitched around so they can get an easy out from the pitcher. This is where we're at. Yeah, totally useful and not firebarnable player this guy is. He can draw walks when pitchers are obviously going to give him nothing to try and hit. Wonderful.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 11:16:04 AM
We're commending a guy batting in front of the pitcher for getting pitched around so they can get an easy out from the pitcher. This is where we're at. Yeah, totally useful and not firebarnable player this guy is. He can draw walks when pitchers are obviously going to give him nothing to try and hit. Wonderful.

Cashner was trying to get him out on Sunday, for sure. 

He fouled off like 8 solid pitches.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 11:16:04 AM

That was about an 11 or 12 pitch AB in which Cashner was definitely trying to get him out. You're wrong on this one, bud.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 08:52:31 AM
Quote from: Eli on April 20, 2015, 08:44:17 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 19, 2015, 08:01:31 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 19, 2015, 01:26:50 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 18, 2015, 05:41:11 PM
He managed to not fuck up in the 11th.

Yay?

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO DO TO PROVE HIMSELF, FOR GOD'S SAKE?

As far as I can tell, he must give back his entire salary and roster spot, issue an apology for having had the gall to accept such an offer, and permanently wander off into some cornfield in Iowa never to be heard from again. But he deserves far worse.

OK.

I just fucking love this. How many baseball players have we hated on this website? With the noted exception of Milton Bradley, how many of them seem to have been actual terrible human beings? Aren't most of them just bad baseball players? Shouldn't most of them have been people we expected to be bad baseball players? Why is David Ross the first guy to get the "well golly gee mister he sure didn't MEAN to be put on the roster and suck, would you have turned down the contract?" treatment?

That argument would apply to Aaron Miles, Neifi, and nearly every other bad baseball player the Cubs have had. So either get on board with hating David Ross for being bad at his job, or never hate another player on this board again, because this whole "well shit it ain't his fault he's on the roster" business is weak ass shit.

I think it's more about how painfully hard you're trying to make this happen than anything about David Ross.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 20, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 20, 2015, 08:52:31 AM
Quote from: Eli on April 20, 2015, 08:44:17 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 19, 2015, 08:01:31 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 19, 2015, 01:26:50 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 18, 2015, 05:41:11 PM
He managed to not fuck up in the 11th.

Yay?

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO DO TO PROVE HIMSELF, FOR GOD'S SAKE?

As far as I can tell, he must give back his entire salary and roster spot, issue an apology for having had the gall to accept such an offer, and permanently wander off into some cornfield in Iowa never to be heard from again. But he deserves far worse.

OK.

I just fucking love this. How many baseball players have we hated on this website? With the noted exception of Milton Bradley, how many of them seem to have been actual terrible human beings? Aren't most of them just bad baseball players? Shouldn't most of them have been people we expected to be bad baseball players? Why is David Ross the first guy to get the "well golly gee mister he sure didn't MEAN to be put on the roster and suck, would you have turned down the contract?" treatment?

That argument would apply to Aaron Miles, Neifi, and nearly every other bad baseball player the Cubs have had. So either get on board with hating David Ross for being bad at his job, or never hate another player on this board again, because this whole "well shit it ain't his fault he's on the roster" business is weak ass shit.

I think it's more about how painfully hard you're trying to make this happen than anything about David Ross.

Well if anyone would know about trying painfully hard, it's definitely you