News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jason Hammel Return Postage Paid, Spiral-Sliced Splooge Thread  ( 13,435 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
23 Ks and 1 BB in 25.1 innings so far. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jason Hammel Return Postage Paid, Spiral-Sliced Splooge Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:20 AM »
Bump.  Last seven games:

3-1; 49.2 IP; 1.99 ERA; 0.77 WHIP; 53/7 K/BB (inc. 1 IBB)

... plus, he works quickly, and he's batting .261 for an OWAR of 0.2, better than Castro and Ross.

So far, not bad for $9MM.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:47:46 AM »
I'll hop on this trolley.

In some ways Hammel's success has been pivotal to the Cubs' early-season nominal contention, as that rotation has hinged on the expected positivity of Lester & Arrieta (though neither has been consistently dominant and Hammel may well have better #'s right now) and the giant sucking sound that had been emanating from Hendricks and Wood shitting the tub in slots #4 & #5.  Now that we're into June and Hendricks seems to have righted the ship and Wada has been a solid improvement on Wood (still holding my breath on both of those developments) it'd sure be something if Hammel could keep this up.  But even if he couldn't, this team can stand a little of his regression anyway.  It's the least they could do to pick him up after he's done more than his part until now.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 05:47:46 AM

In some ways Hammel's success has been pivotal to the Cubs' early-season nominal contention, as that rotation has hinged on the expected positivity of Lester & Arrieta (though neither has been consistently dominant and Hammel may well have better #'s right now) and the giant sucking sound that had been emanating from Hendricks and Wood shitting the tub in slots #4 & #5.  Now that we're into June and Hendricks seems to have righted the ship and Wada has been a solid improvement on Wood (still holding my breath on both of those developments) it'd sure be something if Hammel could keep this up.  But even if he couldn't, this team can stand a little of his regression anyway.  It's the least they could do to pick him up after he's done more than his part until now.

The exercise of throwing Chris Bosio's name around for any pitcher attached to the Cubs is a bit tired by now, but there may be something to it with Hammel. He was fantastic before the trade, mediocre with the A's, and now he's back to being fantastic. I wonder if his repertoire just happens to fit perfectly with Bosio's approach.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2015, 08:24:15 AM

The exercise of throwing Chris Bosio's name around for any pitcher attached to the Cubs is a bit tired by now, but there may be something to it with Hammel. He was fantastic before the trade, mediocre with the A's, and now he's back to being fantastic. I wonder if his repertoire just happens to fit perfectly with Bosio's approach.

I think it's fair to wonder if there may be something to it with Arrieta as well? But I agree it's been overrated to some extent, just like all pitching gurus tend to be overrated. No one mentions Dave Duncan failing with guys like Kip Wells, and for some reason no one ever holds Bosio responsible for Edwin Jackson having his worst numbers of his career under Bosio's tutelage. I do think he has fixed some of these guys, though.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2015, 08:33:19 AM

I think it's fair to wonder if there may be something to it with Arrieta as well? But I agree it's been overrated to some extent, just like all pitching gurus tend to be overrated. No one mentions Dave Duncan failing with guys like Kip Wells, and for some reason no one ever holds Bosio responsible for Edwin Jackson having his worst numbers of his career under Bosio's tutelage. I do think he has fixed some of these guys, though.

Or Dave Duncan, for that matter.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 02, 2015, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2015, 08:33:19 AM

Or Dave Duncan, for that matter.

I seem to remember Jackson being not-terrible as a Cardinal because life is a cruel joke.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:01 AM »

That's about as well as you could put it. 

As the Jackson and Kip Wells "outliers" illustrate (I'm sure Mazzone had some duds too but it was long ago and I'm old), there's no 1 way to coax an optimal performance out any 1 individual pitcher, but the successful ones have the right "combination".

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 09:58:01 AM

As the Jackson and Kip Wells "outliers" illustrate (I'm sure Mazzone had some duds too but it was long ago and I'm old), there's no 1 way to coax an optimal performance out any 1 individual pitcher, but the successful ones have the right "combination".

Just off of the top of my head Jason Marquis was a guy Mazzone failed to get much out of who had his best year with Duncan. I think Bosio is a fantastic pitching coach and his methods have obviously helped guys like Arrieta and Strop and Hammel. I just agreed with Eli that people tend to give him credit for every good thing Cubs pitchers do and yet guys like Edwin and Travis Wood aren't counted against him.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2015, 10:01:34 AM

Just off of the top of my head Jason Marquis was a guy Mazzone failed to get much out of who had his best year with Duncan. I think Bosio is a fantastic pitching coach and his methods have obviously helped guys like Arrieta and Strop and Hammel. I just agreed with Eli that people tend to give him credit for every good thing Cubs pitchers do and yet guys like Edwin and Travis Wood aren't counted against him.

Yep.  That's why we're all a little reticent to put too much emphasis on it either way*

*Except Larry Rothschild.  Hate him. So.  Much.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 10:04:43 AM

Yep.  That's why we're all a little reticent to put too much emphasis on it either way*

*Except Larry Rothschild.  Hate him. So.  Much.

Hating Larry Rothschild is so incredibly stupid.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 11:25:26 AM

Yep.  That's why we're all a little reticent to put too much emphasis on it either way*

*Except Larry Rothschild.  Hate him. So.  Much.

If you can't tell that I'm self-parodying at this point then let me inform you that I'm self-parodying at this point and I have absolutely zero interest in discussing Rothschild.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 11:43:03 AM

Yep.  That's why we're all a little reticent to put too much emphasis on it either way*

If you can't tell that I'm self-parodying at this point then let me inform you that I'm self-parodying at this point and I have absolutely zero interest in discussing Rothschild.

I couldn't tell. 

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 11:45:29 AM
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 11:43:03 AM

I couldn't tell. 

Touché

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »

Maybe we should put Snork on the list of guys Bosio wizard'd