News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why  ( 33,268 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 18, 2015, 03:42:00 PM
Quote from: Tonker on June 18, 2015, 03:39:25 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 18, 2015, 02:58:05 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 18, 2015, 09:18:03 AM
QuoteChris Coghlan also had a great game last night (who didn't?), going 2 for 3 with 3 walks, bumping his line up to .251/.333/.449 (111 wRC+). I've been saying it for over a month, and finally the results are backing me up: the guy is hitting at least as well this year as last year, when he was one of the best hitters on the team. Even from his breakout last year, his walk rate is UP. His strikeout rate is DOWN. His ISO is UP. His hard contact rate is UP. His medium contact rate is UP. His soft contact rate is DOWN.

FYSKO

But Junior Lake though.

Hey!  Back the fuck off.  If there's any Lake hatin' being done around here, it'll be me doing it.  Check the minutes.  That cunt's all mine.

Ahem.

Pfft.  Since when has anything anybody ever said on Twitter counted for anything?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Good read here with Coghlan talking about his hitting approach:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/chris-coghlan-on-hitting/

And if you still want some firebarnin' material, he bitches pretty openly about being a platoon player:

Quote"One thing that frustrates me is the limited opportunities for lefties to face lefties. The game is turning into so much of a platoon that it's actually bad for the players. If you talk to any hitter, whether he's a righty or a lefty, he likes to face same-sided pitchers every once in awhile. It keeps you honest and allows you to lock back in. Facing lefties helps (a left-handed hitter) stay short and simple, and not be so aggressive, which you're more likely to be against righties.

"Look at Anthony Rizzo. He stunk against lefties, but they gave him an opportunity because they paid him and wanted him to be an everyday player. Now he's hitting lefties at a good rate (.940 OPS this season, .928 last year). Why is that happening? Yeah, he's made some adjustments, but it's also because they gave him an opportunity. Had they given up on him, which they would have with a lot of people, because he was hitting .190-.200 against lefties, then nobody would know how great he is."

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2015, 11:25:31 AM

And if you still want some firebarnin' material, he bitches pretty openly about being a platoon player:

Quote"One thing that frustrates me is the limited opportunities for lefties to face lefties. The game is turning into so much of a platoon that it's actually bad for the players. If you talk to any hitter, whether he's a righty or a lefty, he likes to face same-sided pitchers every once in awhile. It keeps you honest and allows you to lock back in. Facing lefties helps (a left-handed hitter) stay short and simple, and not be so aggressive, which you're more likely to be against righties.

"Look at Anthony Rizzo. He stunk against lefties, but they gave him an opportunity because they paid him and wanted him to be an everyday player. Now he's hitting lefties at a good rate (.940 OPS this season, .928 last year). Why is that happening? Yeah, he's made some adjustments, but it's also because they gave him an opportunity. Had they given up on him, which they would have with a lot of people, because he was hitting .190-.200 against lefties, then nobody would know how great he is."

He can't really be comparing being platooned as a washed up fourth outfielder to letting a top prospect first baseman hit against lefties... can he?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Well, he has a point.  It's a fucking irrelevant point but, as a player, I'd want him to feel like he can do anything he wants to do.  It's up to the manager to do what's best for the team.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
I'd never firebarn a guy for wanting to play everyday. I'm betting Jonathan Herrera sure wishes he could prove himself every day, too. I'm just glad Dusty Baker isn't still the manager, or we'd get to see him try.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
Quote from: Tony on July 07, 2015, 11:43:02 AM

He can't really be comparing being platooned as a washed up fourth outfielder to letting a top prospect first baseman hit against lefties... can he?

I think the point that he's making is that platooning is self-perpetuating.  If there were no platoons, there would be much less need for platoons.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2015, 01:28:57 PM »
Holy shit.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
I sort of like Chris Coghlan. He deserves better than a firebarn thread.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 24, 2015, 04:13:58 PM

He deserves a giant fucking steak on Lester's dime tonight.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 24, 2015, 04:54:09 PM

Delete your account.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
THE COGHLAN GAME
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 14, 2015, 04:58:13 PM
THE COGHLAN GAME
Keep up the negativity on this guy til he's got 20 dongs and is at least over .265. But YAY for him and the Cubs power coming to life lately.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2015, 01:28:04 AM »

[/quote

This post should have been more ridiculed than it was.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2015, 03:32:21 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 15, 2015, 01:28:04 AM

[/quote

This post should have been more ridiculed than it was.

A rare Slak PANKing?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 04, 2015, 02:32:01 PM
Alea iacta est.

Hey. hey. psst.

FUCK YOU
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015