News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why  ( 33,388 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 14, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 02:17:38 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:14:33 PM
I think Chris Coghlan is bad at baseball and I think the record backs me up on this. I really don't give a shit if you hate him or not. I find it odd anyone denies that he's bad or likely to be bad, though. I mean if it's suddenly wrong to want the worst guy in the lineup replaced because that's "low hanging fruit", okay? I prefer to continue to advocate my team replace bad players with good ones and I feel this strategy is the best, conventional wisdom be damned.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Coghlan, not Starlin. My mistake. Carry on.

I noticed today that Castro's .668 OPS is accompanied by a .333 BABIP. That's ... concerning.

His rank among 23 qualifying shortstops:

13th in wOBA
17th in ISO
21st in walk rate

But...he plays average defense and has a lot of RBIs I guess? I'm sure Starlin will turn it around soon but if he doesn't these numbers are starting to look 2013-ugly.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 14, 2015, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 14, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 02:17:38 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:14:33 PM
I think Chris Coghlan is bad at baseball and I think the record backs me up on this. I really don't give a shit if you hate him or not. I find it odd anyone denies that he's bad or likely to be bad, though. I mean if it's suddenly wrong to want the worst guy in the lineup replaced because that's "low hanging fruit", okay? I prefer to continue to advocate my team replace bad players with good ones and I feel this strategy is the best, conventional wisdom be damned.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Coghlan, not Starlin. My mistake. Carry on.

I noticed today that Castro's .668 OPS is accompanied by a .333 BABIP. That's ... concerning.

His rank among 23 qualifying shortstops:

13th in wOBA
17th in ISO
21st in walk rate

But...he plays average defense and has a lot of RBIs I guess? I'm sure Starlin will turn it around soon but if he doesn't these numbers are starting to look 2013-ugly.

He's sandbagging until the trade one of the other shortstops. I positive the negative til then.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
.194/.269/.370/.639. OPS+ of 73. Even with league average BABIP he'd probably still be posting below average numbers for a corner outfielder. I don't really care if you want him firebarned or burned alive but can we at least admit he's really hurting them and they could honestly probably just try someone else for a while and see if they get better results?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 10:12:40 AM
.194/.269/.370/.639. OPS+ of 73. Even with league average BABIP he'd probably still be posting below average numbers for a corner outfielder. I don't really care if you want him firebarned or burned alive but can we at least admit he's really hurting them and they could honestly probably just try someone else for a while and see if they get better results?

Sure. Junior Lake is being called up with Tsuyoshi Wada from what I've read. So, soon.

ETA: I do want to say that Coghlan's LD% is almost 24% and his hard contact % is almost 33%...it's not all terrible, but the results aren't show up. I would still trust him to make a decent AB off the bench.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 18, 2015, 10:15:39 AM

Sure. Junior Lake is being called up with Tsuyoshi Wada from what I've read. So, soon.

ETA: I do want to say that Coghlan's LD% is almost 24% and his hard contact % is almost 33%...it's not all terrible, but the results aren't show up. I would still trust him to make a decent AB off the bench.

Hopefully, one day, the results are show up.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »

A guy they have almost nothing invested in and for whom they have several possible longterm replacements in pipeline should not bear you this much thought. This is almost like complaining about Bears exhibition results. You know how you used to feel when people did that. You're doing that to us.  

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 18, 2015, 11:15:03 AM

A guy they have almost nothing invested in and for whom they have several possible longterm replacements in pipeline should not bare you this much thought. This is almost like complaining about Bears exhibition results. You know how you used to feel when people did that. You're doing that to us.  

Yeah that's the thing though. I do not care about the pipeline right now. I'm saying right now, whether he's a stopgap or not, you probably have BETTER STOPGAPS. If Junior Lake hits halfway between his 2013 and his 2014 numbers you've got someone more useful than Chris Coghlan right now. I'm saying just try that. Acting like Chris Coghlan batting right now isn't annoying because he'll be replaced by Bryant/Schwarber/McKinney whoever eventually is dumb. He's bad and means nothing so try someone else who means nothing has a shot of being less bad, because Coghlan ain't working.

I don't think I'm being that unreasonable. The comparison to Bears preseason games is dumb because these games actually count in standings and Chris Coghlan Automatic Out is a negative right now.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
Yea, I've been in the "I just can't get enough give-a-damn to hate Coghlan" but I'm completely on board with Jr being the fulltime LFer

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 18, 2015, 11:19:34 AM
Yea, I've been in the "I just can't get enough give-a-damn to hate Coghlan" but I'm completely on board with Jr being the fulltime LFer

Yeah, I'm not saying it'll work. You might go back to Coghlan in a week and hope for better results from him getting some time off or whatever. Just try it, because running Coghlan out there every day you face a right hander is not working. The very fact that he's completely expendable and they have nothing invested in him is exactly why they have no reason to try to ride out his slump. Who gives a shit if he gets benched for a week or two?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 11:17:33 AM

A guy they have almost nothing invested in and for whom they have several possible longterm replacements in pipeline should not bare you this much thought. This is almost like complaining about Bears exhibition results. You know how you used to feel when people did that. You're doing that to us.  

Yeah that's the thing though. I do not care about the pipeline right now. I'm saying right now, whether he's a stopgap or not, you probably have BETTER STOPGAPS. If Junior Lake hits halfway between his 2013 and his 2014 numbers you've got someone more useful than Chris Coghlan right now. I'm saying just try that. Acting like Chris Coghlan batting right now isn't annoying because he'll be replaced by Bryant/Schwarber/McKinney whoever eventually is dumb. He's bad and means nothing so try someone else who means nothing has a shot of being less bad, because Coghlan ain't working.

I don't think I'm being that unreasonable. The comparison to Bears preseason games is dumb because these games actually count in standings and Chris Coghlan Automatic Out is a negative right now.

I did say it's *almost* the same - meaning not entirely the same. But football preseason games do not have a zero-percent chance of determining whether a team is successful in the 16-game regular season because of the likelihood of season-altering injuries in those games. I think we all agree that Chris Coghlan is below replacement level right now. He may be costing them a fraction of a win so far. Junior Lake will not bump that number up a whole shit load. Neither will Jeff Francouer or Dave Kingman or anybody else they could get. Root for Javy to get back to the big club so he can rid us of this negative ZORP albatross as soon as possible. And quit talking about Chris Coghlan for awhile. Skip a week.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:03 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 18, 2015, 11:33:43 AM

I did say it's *almost* the same - meaning not entirely the same. But football preseason games do not have a zero-percent chance of determining whether a team is successful in the 16-game regular season because of the likelihood of season-altering injuries in those games. I think we all agree that Chris Coghlan is below replacement level right now. He may be costing them a fraction of a win so far. Junior Lake will not bump that number up a whole shit load. Neither will Jeff Francouer or Dave Kingman or anybody else they could get. Root for Javy to get back to the big club so he can rid us of this negative ZORP albatross as soon as possible. And quit talking about Chris Coghlan for awhile. Skip a week.

But if he can bump it up in the slightest you try it now, and then let Javy replace him in a bit. Either way, no reason for Coghlan to be playing right now. This is my last comment on the matter till he goes 0-4 with the bases loaded all four times vs. James Shields tomorrow night.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 11:57:03 AM

But if he can bump it up in the slightest you try it now, and then let Javy replace him in a bit. Either way, no reason for Coghlan to be playing right now. This is my last comment on the matter till he goes 0-4 with the bases loaded all four times vs. James Shields tomorrow night.

James Shields will load the bases 4 separate times (at least 27-36 batters) and still be in the game?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 18, 2015, 11:59:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 11:57:03 AM

James Shields will load the bases 4 separate times (at least 27-36 batters) and still be in the game?

Yep. It's all part of the "make Coghlan bat in all of the important situations" strategy that will prove extremely successful. You heard it here first.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa. I'm at least co-leader of the Coghlan Sucks Firebarn, but Junior Lake is almost certainly going to be worse.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 18, 2015, 12:28:10 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. I'm at least co-leader of the Coghlan Sucks Firebarn, but Junior Lake is almost certainly going to be worse.

Over the long term, probably, for a week, maybe not? I'm just saying play wheel of fortune with your left field platoon of suck until you hit something that might work that day. I think we've arrived at the "just throw shit at the wall" portion of the Chris Coghlan problem until you hopefully replace all of them with Baez/Bryant/External Candidate.