News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: LACKPOCALYPSE NOW  ( 3,023 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: LACKPOCALYPSE NOW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2015, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 07, 2015, 07:55:02 AM
After what Greinke and Price received, I don't think any team short of the Imperials can afford Arrieta, and even they would have to put off the construction of the Death Star for a few years in order to swing his likely demands. Obviously the Cubs can't truly consider extending him until after this season, and if he has a year even approaching what he did last year, then contract negotiations are going to be painful to follow.

This isn't really a rare opinion anymore, but I don't think they should even think about an extension. They have him through his age-31 season for a relatively cheap cost. There's almost no upside in giving him a huge contract extension this year.

You can give him 5 years now at a rate that will be below market value compared to his walk year. And 5 years now means you can give him his gold watch and watch him ride into the sunset elsewhere.

5 years now means you're guaranteeing to pay a guy until he's 37 years old when he's managed exactly one 200 IP season in his career. No thanks.

Also he's a Boras client, so the odds of him agreeing to a below market anything are slim

Yeah, but Arietta's a slightly different case that the average Boras client, in that he wouldn't hit the free agent market until he's probably older than any of the "premium" free agents in his class - this is assuming, of course, that he remains a God among men between here and there.

So teams might be a little more leery about backing up the Brinks truck then, so he might as well cash in now - and if he signs a Snork-sized deal now, he'd still make out over the course of 5 years.

He'd be the same age that Greinke is now and Greinke just got 206 million dollars. Stop.

Fork, how quickly can you get yourself hired by the Boras Corporation and assigned to Jake's account?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Sportsworld Chicago is giving us the opportunity to buy a Lackey  #41 jersey.  Who is going to be first?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 09, 2015, 12:03:30 PM
Sportsworld Chicago is giving us the opportunity to buy a Lackey  #41 jersey.  Who is going to be first?

I'm not changing my Tidrow nameplate for that guy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 09, 2015, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 09, 2015, 12:03:30 PM

I'm not changing my Tidrow nameplate for that guy.

Huh, Lackey wearing Tidrow's number makes a certain kind of sense...
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2015, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on December 07, 2015, 07:55:02 AM
After what Greinke and Price received, I don't think any team short of the Imperials can afford Arrieta, and even they would have to put off the construction of the Death Star for a few years in order to swing his likely demands. Obviously the Cubs can't truly consider extending him until after this season, and if he has a year even approaching what he did last year, then contract negotiations are going to be painful to follow.

This isn't really a rare opinion anymore, but I don't think they should even think about an extension. They have him through his age-31 season for a relatively cheap cost. There's almost no upside in giving him a huge contract extension this year.

You can give him 5 years now at a rate that will be below market value compared to his walk year. And 5 years now means you can give him his gold watch and watch him ride into the sunset elsewhere.

5 years now means you're guaranteeing to pay a guy until he's 37 years old when he's managed exactly one 200 IP season in his career. No thanks.

Also he's a Boras client, so the odds of him agreeing to a below market anything are slim

Yeah, but Arietta's a slightly different case that the average Boras client, in that he wouldn't hit the free agent market until he's probably older than any of the "premium" free agents in his class - this is assuming, of course, that he remains a God among men between here and there.

So teams might be a little more leery about backing up the Brinks truck then, so he might as well cash in now - and if he signs a Snork-sized deal now, he'd still make out over the course of 5 years.

He'd be the same age that Greinke is now and Greinke just got 206 million dollars. Stop.

Not to mention, he'll have considerably fewer innings on his arm than Greinke does.
M'lady.