News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?  ( 16,271 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 22, 2015, 07:29:51 AMCan Soler play center?

Now *this* post makes sense as one which you should have hesitated to submit. Because it's really bad.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 22, 2015, 08:57:38 AM

Now *this* post makes sense as one which you should have hesitated to submit. Because it's really bad.

I think this is the second time Kurt has said something about Soler in center which really leads me to believe Kurt has never actually watched a Cubs game with Soler in the outfield.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 22, 2015, 06:24:56 AM
The guy that was left for dead in early August played nearly every single inning in the playoffs.  He still sucked, basically reverting to the same player who mystifyingly started to roll a bunch of Murton-soft bouncers to the left side for 2 1/2 months before waking up,  but he did homer off Wacha (and he certainly wasn't the only Cub with a cold bat, else we wouldn't be mourning this team right now).  The Cubs couldn't give him away at the deadline, so it's nice that he's restored some of his value.  Gotta say I still feel he's gone, but I'm less convinced than I was when I started this thread.  In fact you could say the Cubs dealing Castro is increasingly unlikely.  If they could get more for dealing, say, Baez and/or Soler, I think we may able to live with Castro as the everyday second baseman, though personally I think I'd rather see Baez there.  I've never really hated Castro but I think I've see enough of him.  

I really don't understand where this narrative comes from.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 22, 2015, 09:04:54 AM
The guy that was left for dead in early August played nearly every single inning in the playoffs.  He still sucked, basically reverting to the same player who mystifyingly started to roll a bunch of Murton-soft bouncers to the left side for 2 1/2 months before waking up,  but he did homer off Wacha (and he certainly wasn't the only Cub with a cold bat, else we wouldn't be mourning this team right now).  The Cubs couldn't give him away at the deadline, so it's nice that he's restored some of his value.  Gotta say I still feel he's gone, but I'm less convinced than I was when I started this thread.  In fact you could say the Cubs dealing Castro is increasingly unlikely.  If they could get more for dealing, say, Baez and/or Soler, I think we may able to live with Castro as the everyday second baseman, though personally I think I'd rather see Baez there.  I've never really hated Castro but I think I've see enough of him.  

They could have given him away but instead smartly just asked if he had value that the Cubs could actually utilize. Didn't work out. He tore it up afterward.

At least of all the guys who scuffled at the plate, Castro had some loud outs and just misses. The ball he smoked into Wright's outstretched glove was the entire series in a nutshell.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2015, 09:08:57 AM
Quote from: Oleg on October 22, 2015, 09:04:54 AM

They could have given him away but instead smartly just asked if he had value that the Cubs could actually utilize. Didn't work out. He tore it up afterward.

At least of all the guys who scuffled at the plate, Castro had some loud outs and just misses. The ball he smoked into Wright's outstretched glove was the entire series in a nutshell.

Theo has admitted out loud that he and Joe had very different opinions of Baez and where he was at and his likelihood of contributing. My guess is Theo still isn't sold on Baez just being handed a spot anywhere, so my gut is actually telling me Castro stays, with Baez used as a trade chip if he can get enough in return or perhaps starting next year in his super sub role.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2015, 08:59:21 AM

I think this is the second time Kurt has said something about Soler in center which really leads me to believe Kurt has never actually watched a Cubs game with Soler in the outfield.

I consider the number of times I've seen Soler in right to be anecdotal to his abilities. He hasn't looked particularly awful in the games I've watched, except for that horrible diving "grab" a couple of nights ago that ended with the ball in the ivy.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 22, 2015, 09:16:32 AM

I consider the number of times I've seen Soler in right to be anecdotal to his abilities. He hasn't looked particularly awful in the games I've watched, except for that horrible diving "grab" a couple of nights ago that ended with the ball in the ivy.

Well I know the advanced metrics we have for defense aren't perfect but literally all of them are in agreement with Soler being abysmal defensively, which happens to coincide with the anecdotal eye test. He bad. I'd rather they try Jacque Jones in center again before they put Soler out there. Also defense aside that much extra running would probably lead to his paper mache legs falling apart twice as often as they already do.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2015, 09:20:04 AM

Well I know the advanced metrics we have for defense aren't perfect but literally all of them are in agreement with Soler being abysmal defensively, which happens to coincide with the anecdotal eye test. He bad. I'd rather they try Jacque Jones in center again before they put Soler out there. Also defense aside that much extra running would probably lead to his paper mache legs falling apart twice as often as they already do.

They're all just placeholders until Gleyber/Happ/Eddy Julio is ready to play center. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 22, 2015, 10:16:11 AM

They're all just placeholders until Gleyber/Happ/Eddy Julio is ready to play center. 

I, too, am already rubbing my nuts over 2018.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2015, 12:15:55 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2015, 11:39:35 AM

That will also be around the time we get our next season of "Too Many Shortstops".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 22, 2015, 12:15:55 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2015, 11:39:35 AM

That will also be around the time we get our next season of "Too Many Shortstops".

I think we're past that for now. 

Gleyber is the only real SS prospect left and it sure looks like Addison Russell has that job fairly nailed down for at least the next year or two before someone could challenge him for that (barring injury.) 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
/thread
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs