News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?  ( 16,291 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Starlin Castro Farewell Tour?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 11, 2015, 10:06:25 AM
He's a 25 year old shortstop one year removed from being an all-star, with a team-friendlywhose multi year stats place him at the bottom of the list for starting MLB short stops and he has a long term contract.

Wherever the convo travels from here, the "he doesn't have any trade value" part of it needs to be removed.

He doesn't have any trade value.

No, Chuck...I mean, you realize than in 4 of his 6 seasons his OPS+ is over 100, right?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 10:07:37 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 11, 2015, 10:02:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 11, 2015, 09:58:17 AM
If Castro truly has no trade value, then just keep him and let him play the Jonathan Herrera role next year. Maybe that's too awkward of a possibility and they'd rather just start clean, but I don't see them just dumping him entirely without getting back some kind of value.

Fortunately, there are definitely a few GMs in baseball who will look at Castro's age and history and reckon he's worth something.  I think the Cubs will be able to trade him, and not get completely arseraped, either.

That's definitely possible. I think they can get rid of him for only a few hemorrhoids.

Also, a Shields type acquisition wouldn't replace Hendricks, it would replace Haren.  Adding Price next year would replace Hammel.  Hendricks at $510k isn't going anywhere. He makes Price possible.

Hammel isn't a FA after this season

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 11, 2015, 11:57:41 AM
If Castro truly has no trade value, then just keep him and let him play the Jonathan Herrera role next year. Maybe that's too awkward of a possibility and they'd rather just start clean, but I don't see them just dumping him entirely without getting back some kind of value.

Fortunately, there are definitely a few GMs in baseball who will look at Castro's age and history and reckon he's worth something.  I think the Cubs will be able to trade him, and not get completely arseraped, either.

That's definitely possible. I think they can get rid of him for only a few hemorrhoids.

Also, a Shields type acquisition wouldn't replace Hendricks, it would replace Haren.  Adding Price next year would replace Hammel.  Hendricks at $510k isn't going anywhere. He makes Price possible.

Hammel goes to the pen in that scenario. Or gets traded.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 11, 2015, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 11, 2015, 10:06:25 AM
He's a 25 year old shortstop one year removed from being an all-star, with a team-friendlywhose multi year stats place him at the bottom of the list for starting MLB short stops and he has a long term contract.

Wherever the convo travels from here, the "he doesn't have any trade value" part of it needs to be removed.

He doesn't have any trade value.

No, Chuck...I mean, you realize than in 4 of his 6 seasons his OPS+ is over 100, right?

No, Fork...I mean, you realize than over the last 3 seasons he ranks 24th in WAR for shortstops, right?
No, Fork...I mean, you realize than over the last 4 seasons he ranks 19th in WAR for shortstops, right?
No, Fork...I mean, you realize than over the last 5 seasons he ranks 17th in WAR for shortstops, right?

I mean, you realize that's called a trend line, right?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 02:10:44 PM

And again, why would you replace a younger, better, cheaper pitcher with one year left on his deal with James Shields and that contract?

If that's the cost for offloading Starlin, you are better off keeping Starlin.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
Guys, guys. He goes to the Mets for Jacob de Grom and that's that, end of story. Are we done here?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 11, 2015, 03:16:02 PM
Guys, guys. He goes to the Mets for Jacob de Grom and that's that, end of story. Are we done here?

Close, he goes to the Jets to be their new quarterback.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
That crazy right-winger from Florida had some interesting things to say about Starlin today.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:14:57 PM

And again, why would you replace a younger, better, cheaper pitcher with one year left on his deal with James Shields and that contract?

Because the return on Starlin sitting on the bench is zero while the return on increasing salary to fill a need would be positive.  It eliminates the need to start Tsuyoshi Wada 7 times, Travis Wood 7 times, Clayton Richard 3 times, Dallas Beeler 3 times, Dan Haren 1 time and Donn Roach 1 time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 03:47:54 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 02:14:57 PM

Fortunately, there are definit

ely a few GMs in baseball who will look at Castro's age and history and reckon he's worth something.  I think the Cubs will be able to trade him, and not get completely arseraped, either.

Because the return on Starlin sitting on the bench is zero while the return on increasing salary to fill a need would be positive.  It eliminates the need to start Tsuyoshi Wada 7 times, Travis Wood 7 times, Clayton Richard 3 times, Dallas Beeler 3 times, Dan Haren 1 time and Donn Roach 1 time.

Except in your scenario they have already eliminated that need by signing Price. So again how does adding a pitcher more expensive and not as good as Hammel help? Also Shields has been worth over a win less this year than last. Pretty soon he's likely to be a - WAR player owed 20 million dollars. So your brilliant strategy is to pay a pitcher version of Castro more money than Castro just so you can say you got "something" for Castro.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
God I had forgotten about the Donn Roach Game.

In fact, I'm still not clearly remembering it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 04:08:21 PM
Except in your scenario they have already eliminated that need by signing Price. S

No, that's not what my scenario was. It was originally an either/or.  But, then again, you're the SKOiest.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 11, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 11, 2015, 04:08:21 PM
Except in your scenario they have already eliminated that need by signing Price. S

No, that's not what my scenario was. It was originally an either/or.  But, then again, you're the SKOiest.

Then why did you talk about moving Hammel to the pen? Jesus. There is no acceptable scenario for saying James Shields should be in the Cubs plans. None.

Regardless there are many ways to add cheap, good pitching or they could go after Price (in which case having Shields contract would probably be more prohibitive than having Castro's). Adding Shields makes no sense in any scenario from a competitive or financial perspective.  They'd be better off eating half of Castro's deal and trading him for a AA reliever

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 11, 2015, 03:26:26 PM
That crazy right-winger from Florida had some interesting things to say about Starlin today.

That overwrought opening graf belongs in Totally Unreadable though.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
Really nice play in the top of the ninth from our boy, there.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.