News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread  ( 14,995 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 12:31:09 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 05, 2015, 12:28:38 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 05, 2015, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 05, 2015, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 05, 2015, 11:54:27 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 05, 2015, 11:46:29 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 05, 2015, 11:42:52 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 05, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 05, 2015, 11:20:08 AM
So, are baseball playoff beards a thing?

God I hope not.

Jake Arrieta sneers at you.

Arrieta's been rocking a beard since he came up; that's different. Just this emulating hockey players shit is dumb.  Sorry if that make me a buzzkill for Happy Happy Pen Joy.  In fact, I think the idea of hockey playoff beards (a practice which is less than 4 decades old and not always practiced (i.e. Edmonton w/Gretzky)) is overplayed but it's definitely stupid for baseball.  Be original, assholes.

I don't see the Latin or black guys getting on board with that, honestly. Hockey's for whites who grow beards over coffee.

The exception doesn't something something.

Back to the thing:

Javy at third and Bryant in left sounds pretty good except Javy vs. Cole seems like an automatic sombrero, no?

Does it, now?

In fact I believe I read somewhere that that video right there is the only home run off Cole any current Cub has ever hit.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 05, 2015, 01:27:40 PM

God I hope not.

Arrieta's been rocking a beard since he came up; that's different. Just this emulating hockey players shit is dumb.  Sorry if that make me a buzzkill for Happy Happy Pen Joy.  In fact, I think the idea of hockey playoff beards (a practice which is less than 4 decades old and not always practiced (i.e. Edmonton w/Gretzky)) is overplayed but it's definitely stupid for baseball.  Be original, assholes.

I don't see the Latin or black guys getting on board with that, honestly. Hockey's for whites who grow beards over coffee.

Back to the thing:

Javy at third and Bryant in left sounds pretty good except Javy vs. Cole seems like an automatic sombrero, no?

Does it, now?

In fact I believe I read somewhere that that video right there is the only home run off Cole any current Cub has ever hit.

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or what, but Cole has allowed 2 homers to the Cubs in 226 career PAs.  

The other was to Alcantara in that same game.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 02:53:46 PM »
We have like 50+ hours until the game still, so, random spitballing:

Is it worth it to consider starting Jackson instead of Fowler in CF? Cole has those reverse splits which becomes a double problem since Fowler is worse as a lefty (Jackson basically has no platoon split over the course of his career). Plus, Jackson has been hitting really well lately while Fowler has been cold for the better part of the last month.

Fielding metrics also give Jackson an edge defensively over Fowler in center.

This would also theoretically open a spot in the lineup for Soler, who's one of the best fastball hitters on the Cubs. Cole's best pitch, by far, is his fastball. Seems like a good matchup for him.

I'm sure Fowler will be at the top of the lineup and this is all LaRussa-level overthinking but this is a long two days.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2015, 02:53:46 PM

Is it worth it to consider starting Jackson instead of Fowler in CF? Cole has those reverse splits which becomes a double problem since Fowler is worse as a lefty (Jackson basically has no platoon split over the course of his career). Plus, Jackson has been hitting really well lately while Fowler has been cold for the better part of the last month.

This would also theoretically open a spot in the lineup for Soler, who's one of the best fastball hitters on the Cubs. Cole's best pitch, by far, is his fastball. Seems like a good matchup for him.

I'm sure Fowler will be at the top of the lineup and this is all LaRussa-level overthinking but this is a long two days.

He gave Jackson a lot of playing time lately. I wonder if that thought entered his mind as well.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 03:08:17 PM

He gave Jackson a lot of playing time lately. I wonder if that thought entered his mind as well.

Geez, imagine if Dexter had to sit out after leading that lineup all season and the Cubs lost.  Aside from the second-guessing that Maddon would receive, I think it'd be enough butthurt for Dexter to ensure he wouldn't come back.

If, on the other hand, Jackson tears it up and they win, the Cubs may have already found his replacement for next year.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 05, 2015, 03:14:31 PM
If, on the other hand, Jackson tears it up and they win, the Cubs may have already found his replacement for next year.

Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version on what the hell happened to Austin Jackson? He was a key part of the Granderson trade (along with Scherzer) and had OPS's of .856 and .754 after his rancid sophomore season. He was OPS-ing .730 with a below-average slugging when he was shuffled off to  Seattle in the Price trade. He has sucked with Seattle, and the Cubs got him for nothing. He's only 28, can play solid outfield and has some speed. Is he salvageable?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »

Geez, imagine if Dexter had to sit out after leading that lineup all season and the Cubs lost.  Aside from the second-guessing that Maddon would receive, I think it'd be enough butthurt for Dexter to ensure he wouldn't come back.

That. Also, Fowler & Jackson have an identical OPS of .675 over the last 30 days. And Jackson's wOBA against righties this year is .288 versus Fowler's .320. I don't know how significant Cole's reverse split is but it would have to be huge for me to get on board with this.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »

That's the nice thing about Maddon, though. If he truly felt like Jackson gave them the best chance to win that game (which is debatable), that's who would start.  

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2015, 03:22:39 PM

That's the nice thing about Maddon, though. If he truly felt like Jackson gave them the best chance to win that game (which is debatable), that's who would start.  

I also think we'll see a lot of substitutions in this game if needed. Who knows who all will end up playing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2015, 03:22:01 PM

Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version on what the hell happened to Austin Jackson? He was a key part of the Granderson trade (along with Scherzer) and had OPS's of .856 and .754 after his rancid sophomore season. He was OPS-ing .730 with a below-average slugging when he was shuffled off to  Seattle in the Price trade. He has sucked with Seattle, and the Cubs got him for nothing. He's only 28, can play solid outfield and has some speed. Is he salvageable?

His peripherals showed some bad luck in Seattle and the talent is still definitely there. If Fowler walks and they don't want to pony up for Heyward, he'd be a nice fallback option.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 05, 2015, 01:29:53 PM

God I hope not.

Arrieta's been rocking a beard since he came up; that's different. Just this emulating hockey players shit is dumb.  Sorry if that make me a buzzkill for Happy Happy Pen Joy.  In fact, I think the idea of hockey playoff beards (a practice which is less than 4 decades old and not always practiced (i.e. Edmonton w/Gretzky)) is overplayed but it's definitely stupid for baseball.  Be original, assholes.

Back to the thing:

Does it, now?

I don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or what, but Cole has allowed 2 homers to the Cubs in 226 career PAs. 

So how do you define "current," because I use the definition in the dictionary that requires a current Cub to be a current Cub rather than "not a current Cub" which is apparently the definition you prefer.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 05, 2015, 03:54:00 PM

God I hope not.

Back to the thing:

Does it, now?

So how do you define "current," because I use the definition in the dictionary that requires a current Cub to be a current Cub rather than not a current Cub which is apparently the definition you prefer.

I thought about pointing out this PenIs Wrong, but I figured it was best to let you rebut.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 03:55:25 PM

God I hope not.

Back to the thing:

Does it, now?

So how do you define "current," because I use the definition in the dictionary that requires a current Cub to be a current Cub rather than not a current Cub which is apparently the definition you prefer.

I thought about pointing out this PenIs Wrong, but I figured it was best to let you rebut.

Current was a word I missed.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 05, 2015, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 03:55:25 PM

God I hope not.

Back to the thing:

Does it, now?

Current was a word I missed.

PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.  Anyway, go Cubs.  The SeligFlip Game is stupid but if they win I bet I won't be complaining about it.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 05, 2015, 12:19:44 PM

God I hope not.

SCENE:

A young boy in Elk Grove sitting in front of his 19" Kenmore TV wearing his plastic Cubs batting helmet turns to his father:

BOY: Dad, it's pretty neat how the Cubs are all growing beards and calling themselves the "Grubby Cubbies"

FATHER: Take it somewhere else of that's how younger about it

BOY: Geez, dad...I never thought of it that way...

/SCENE

Panklish?