News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Love & Mercy  ( 837 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Love & Mercy
« on: October 19, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
The Brian Wilson biopic. Paul Giamatti is outstanding as Eugene Landy, Elizabeth Banks is really good as Melinda Wilson, except for one thing that isn't her fault - the director (Bill Pohlad) is hell-bent on bathing everything positive in blue (at the very beginning of the movie they foreshadow this by telling you blue is a peaceful color or something like that), so her eyes get a little spooky looking.

Paul Dano and John Cusack play BW in the Pet Sounds/Smile and Landy segments of his life, respectively. They're both actually really good.

And Jake Abel plays Mike Love in all his bellendy splendor.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, even knowing any biopic of a pop star means they'll be dead within a year. Except Loretta Lynn, who just kicked the Grim Reaper in the balls and sent him off.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Love & Mercy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:53 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 19, 2015, 04:36:36 PM
The Brian Wilson biopic. Paul Giamatti is outstanding as Eugene Landy, Elizabeth Banks is really good as Melinda Wilson, except for one thing that isn't her fault - the director (Bill Pohlad) is hell-bent on bathing everything positive in blue (at the very beginning of the movie they foreshadow this by telling you blue is a peaceful color or something like that), so her eyes get a little spooky looking.

Paul Dano and John Cusack play BW in the Pet Sounds/Smile and Landy segments of his life, respectively. They're both actually really good.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, even knowing any biopic of a pop star means they'll be dead within a year. Except Loretta Lynn, who just kicked the Grim Reaper in the balls and sent him off.

I can't watch this film.  As much as I love Brian Wilson, I loathe Mike Love more: I'd get thrown out of the cinema for shouting at the screen.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Love & Mercy
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2015, 03:57:53 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 19, 2015, 04:36:36 PM

I can't watch this film.  As much as I love Brian Wilson, I loathe Mike Love more: I'd get thrown out of the cinema for shouting at the screen.

Mike Love is a marginal character, as is appropriate.

Giamatti as Landy is the compelling character, other than BW.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16