News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,368 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #1020 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on February 11, 2016, 02:17:37 PM
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 02:01:29 PM
Cool, I'd like to read it. I mean it's a fun thought exercise and the statistical arguments for it are sound, I just don't know what it would take to get the players to go for it, when Zack Greinke is getting 195 million and Darren O'Day is getting 31 million you're not going to be able to convince too many guys who view themselves as starters to accept that role.

Well, you wouldn't do it with guys like Greinke. You do it with a handful of 'tweener guys who would be bouncing between mid-long relief and spot start duty anyway (and probably paid accordingly).

But you're right in that there would need to be a  ...

paradigm shift
... in how compensation is structured to get many guys to buy in. You might be able to get by with lower quality pitchers in doing so. Since you're planning on pulling them in the 3rd from their "starts" they don't need to keep anything in the tank for the 4th-6th innings. Because: market inefficiency!

I lol'd hard at the paradigm shift. Fantastic.

I laughed, too, even though I don't know what a paradigm shift is and would need someone to explain it to me.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1021 on: February 11, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 11, 2016, 02:49:30 PM
Cool, I'd like to read it. I mean it's a fun thought exercise and the statistical arguments for it are sound, I just don't know what it would take to get the players to go for it, when Zack Greinke is getting 195 million and Darren O'Day is getting 31 million you're not going to be able to convince too many guys who view themselves as starters to accept that role.

Well, you wouldn't do it with guys like Greinke. You do it with a handful of 'tweener guys who would be bouncing between mid-long relief and spot start duty anyway (and probably paid accordingly).

paradigm shift
... in how compensation is structured to get many guys to buy in. You might be able to get by with lower quality pitchers in doing so. Since you're planning on pulling them in the 3rd from their "starts" they don't need to keep anything in the tank for the 4th-6th innings. Because: market inefficiency!

I laughed, too, even though I don't know what a paradigm shift is and would need someone to explain it to me.

It's something to do with Transformational Leadership, I hear tell.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1022 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 02:51:16 PM

paradigm shift

It's something to do with Transformational Leadership, I hear tell.

This is what Wikipedia is for.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1023 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »

paradigm shift

It's a scientific term that American business gurus (particularly in marketing, I'm sure Pen's shifted a few paradigms in his day) got hold of in the early 90's and has now pretty much been rendered meaningless.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1024 on: February 11, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 11, 2016, 03:40:56 PM

But you're right in that there would need to be a  ...

paradigm shift

It's a scientific term that American business gurus (particularly in marketing, I'm sure Pen's shifted a few paradigms in his day) got hold of in the early 90's and has now pretty much been rendered meaningless.

Eli was referring to the BP Wrigleyville article where the guy said we didn't like their shitty new articles because they were leading a paradigm shift in sabermetrics, and after saying he didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence he spent three paragraphs condescendingly explaining paradigm shifts
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1025 on: February 11, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 03:47:00 PM

paradigm shift

Eli was referring to the BP Wrigleyville article where the guy said we didn't like their shitty new articles because they were leading a paradigm shift in sabermetrics, and after saying he didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence he spent three paragraphs condescendingly explaining paradigm shifts

CT is right though. I have made paradigms weep from how I've transformed them.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1026 on: February 11, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »

paradigm shift

Time for a paradigm shift in synergistic nuance, I guess.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1027 on: February 11, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 11, 2016, 04:00:36 PM

paradigm shift

The paradigm shift originated in college football in the early 1920s.  It was designed to fool the opposition with a "hidden ball" stunt.  While the attention of the defensive backfield was focused on the backfield of the offense, typically in what was called a "T-formation",  watching the player who was farthest back,  known as the "fullback"  (why he was called that is unknown since all of the players on the offense were usually of sound body, if not sound mind), who if not carefully observed would often switch jerseys with the player immediately to his right, thus causing great consternation in the rooting section who were want to chant "give the ball to number 14" while the cheerleaders turned cartwheels and occasionally dispensed poor boy sandwiches to fans in the front rows.  In any event, while this was going on, the center slyly paradigm shifted the ball to the lineman to his left.  Since this was before the rules changed, the latter was then free to "lateral" (so called because it is a pass that must be thrown while lying on one's side) to one of the cheerleaders, now referred to as a "designated 12th man".  Football in the 1920s was infinitely more interesting than it is today. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1028 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 11, 2016, 04:28:17 PM

paradigm shift

The paradigm shift originated in college football in the early 1920s.  It was designed to fool the opposition with a "hidden ball" stunt.  While the attention of the defensive backfield was focused on the backfield of the offense, typically in what was called a "T-formation",  watching the player who was farthest back,  known as the "fullback"  (why he was called that is unknown since all of the players on the offense were usually of sound body, if not sound mind), who if not carefully observed would often switch jerseys with the player immediately to his right, thus causing great consternation in the rooting section who were want to chant "give the ball to number 14" while the cheerleaders turned cartwheels and occasionally dispensed poor boy sandwiches to fans in the front rows.  In any event, while this was going on, the center slyly paradigm shifted the ball to the lineman to his left.  Since this was before the rules changed, the latter was then free to "lateral" (so called because it is a pass that must be thrown while lying on one's side) to one of the cheerleaders, now referred to as a "designated 12th man".  Football in the 1920s was infinitely more interesting than it is today. 
Godamnit Stew, I have to meet you someday.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1029 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »
Quote from: flannj on February 11, 2016, 06:07:09 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 11, 2016, 04:28:17 PM

paradigm shift

Godamnit Stew, I have to meet you someday.

I thought a paradigm was the change from two cups of coffee old Jewish guys fought over.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1030 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 04, 2016, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 04, 2016, 10:34:46 AM
DPD.

If Murton makes the big club or just languishes at AAA just in case, I don't really have an opinion about it. Time has passed. He's not a prospect or someone the front office or fans are pushing for an everyday spot in lieu of an upgrade. Replacement Level Murton is not a threat to my sanity. That battle is over. I won lost.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1031 on: February 16, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
I wonder what Moonlight Greenberg is up to.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1032 on: February 16, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 16, 2016, 03:32:15 PM

He is co-founder and CEO of this stuff, and he recently had a baby boy named Leo Henry.

You can hire him to speak.

"Holds the record" is a hilarious way to describe his career.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1033 on: February 16, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 16, 2016, 03:41:57 PM

He is co-founder and CEO of this stuff, and he recently had a baby boy named Leo Henry.

You buried the lede: DESSERT WILL BE SERVED

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1034 on: February 16, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 16, 2016, 03:51:43 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 16, 2016, 03:41:57 PM

You buried the lede: DESSERT WILL BE SERVED

Register at freedessert.org