News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,388 )

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2015, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 22, 2015, 10:07:35 AM
At catcher, considering they owe Montero another $28 million, I don't see them getting rid of him or spending significant dollars on a replacement/upgrade. Assuming they can make up a coaching position and get Ross to retire, I could see a Montero/Schwarber timeshare to start the season. If it turns out that Schwarber is completely inept back there, make a move at the deadline, or it's possible Contreras could be ready.

It's a tough spot. I don't think they can count on Schwarber in their catching plans, no matter how badly they want his bat in that spot.

Given some of the other roster needs -- two rotations spots (plus a depth arm) and CF -- they'll probably be content to just punt the catcher spot and hang their cat on a primarily defensive platoon. Any random hot streak from Montero would probably just be a bonus.

I'm guessing they don't want Schwarber at catcher at all. Keeping him in the outfield extends his career. It just sucks we're stuck with the two slapdicks currently on the roster.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
I feel like I should put this in a very small font, but if they trade either Soler or Schwarber for young, controllable pitching, Alex Gordon is a free agent and would look nice next to Jason Heyward in the outfield. He's got a good approach, plays excellent defense and might come at a slight discount since he's had a few struggles after his injury this year.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 22, 2015, 11:45:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2015, 11:42:44 AM
At catcher, considering they owe Montero another $28 million, I don't see them getting rid of him or spending significant dollars on a replacement/upgrade. Assuming they can make up a coaching position and get Ross to retire, I could see a Montero/Schwarber timeshare to start the season. If it turns out that Schwarber is completely inept back there, make a move at the deadline, or it's possible Contreras could be ready.

It's a tough spot. I don't think they can count on Schwarber in their catching plans, no matter how badly they want his bat in that spot.

Given some of the other roster needs -- two rotations spots (plus a depth arm) and CF -- they'll probably be content to just punt the catcher spot and hang their cat on a primarily defensive platoon. Any random hot streak from Montero would probably just be a bonus.

If Miggy is back as the full time catcher I sure hope he spends the next three months doing absolutely nothing.

I think we should absolutely expect him to be the full-time catcher next year and hope we get 1-2 games/week with Schwarber back there.

Is he really going to learn the position playing 1 or 2 games a week? Maybe they should just leave him in left and hope he hits enough to offset his defense. By the time he gets good at catcher it will be time to move him to outfield to prolong his career anyway.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 22, 2015, 11:56:05 AM

If Miggy is back as the full time catcher I sure hope he spends the next three months doing absolutely nothing.

I think we should absolutely expect him to be the full-time catcher next year and hope we get 1-2 games/week with Schwarber back there.

Is he really going to learn the position playing 1 or 2 games a week? Maybe they should just leave him in left and hope he hits enough to offset his defense. By the time he gets good at catcher it will be time to move him to outfield to prolong his career anyway.

I think they should coach the shit out of him to play outfield. If he's not going to be fast just continue to drill him on routes and he can at least be something approaching serviceable. He's not some old, fat asshole. He's a young, fat asshole. So there's still potential there.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
Speaking of David Ross, I don't think it's out of the question he just retires and takes a coaching job with the team. He's made enough jokes about being bad at baseball that he might know his time is up.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2015, 12:04:06 PM
Speaking of David Ross, I don't think it's out of the question he just retires and takes a coaching job with the team. He's made enough jokes about being bad at baseball that he might know his time is up.

I hope he does, because I'd enjoy liking him for a change. He seems like a cool dude.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2015, 12:06:00 PM

I hope he does, because I'd enjoy liking him for a change. He seems like a cool dude.

I honestly thought him retiring and becoming a coach was a foregone conclusion. Or maybe I was just hoping it was.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
Quote from: Tony on October 22, 2015, 12:07:20 PM

I honestly thought him retiring and becoming a coach was a foregone conclusion. Or maybe I was just hoping it was.

I think it's up in the air because he's still signed for another year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2015, 12:09:07 PM

Which is insane. Even if you accept all of the reasons given for having Ross on the roster this year, who gives a fucking 38 year old backup with no other suitors a guaranteed multi year deal? Jesus Christ.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2015, 12:10:25 PM

Which is insane. Even if you accept all of the reasons given for having Ross on the roster this year, who gives a fucking 38 year old backup with no other suitors a guaranteed multi year deal? Jesus Christ.

Couldn't take much to buy that year out could it?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 22, 2015, 12:17:11 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2015, 12:10:25 PM

Couldn't take much to buy that year out could it?

Probably not but why even set yourself up anyway? How hard would it have been to re-sign him if he ended up swinging a slightly better pool noodle this year?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

Dave Martinez is supposedly a candidate for the Dodgers job. That might open up a spot for Ross (although I admittedly don't know enough about the bench coach's role to know if you could jump right in there with no previous coaching experience).

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2015, 11:50:29 AM
I feel like I should put this in a very small font, but if they trade either Soler or Schwarber for young, controllable pitching, Alex Gordon is a free agent and would look nice next to Jason Heyward in the outfield. He's got a good approach, plays excellent defense and might come at a slight discount since he's had a few struggles after his injury this year.

Trade Schwarber for Felix.
Sign Gordon to play LF (or RF and move Soler to LF).
Sign a mid-tier starter as the number 4 (Zimmermann too much to ask for? Cueto? Gallardo?).
Sign a CF (Fowler comes back? I assume Heyword may cost too much.)

I may like this plan.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 22, 2015, 12:24:03 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 22, 2015, 11:50:29 AM

Trade Schwarber for Felix.
Sign Gordon to play LF (or RF and move Soler to LF).
Sign a mid-tier starter as the number 4 (Zimmermann too much to ask for? Cueto? Gallardo?).
Sign a CF (Fowler comes back? I assume Heyword may cost too much.)

I may like this plan.

If they trade Schwarber I may need to just stay away from the internet for a few weeks because part of me would think it's probably the right move while part of me would be furious and all of me would want to steer far clear of the hot taeks everyone else is spewing.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 22, 2015, 11:58:37 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 22, 2015, 11:56:05 AM

I think they should coach the shit out of him to play outfield. If he's not going to be fast just continue to drill him on routes and he can at least be something approaching serviceable. He's not some old, fat asshole. He's a young, fat asshole. So there's still potential there.

I'm operating under the assumption that that's the plan moving forward. It's not hard to teach a guy to play left field. He's got a decent arm and - usually - catches what he gets his glove on. He needs to work on reading the ball, taking proper angles and the little things that make a guy a serviceable outfielder. They've had worse guys playing LF in my lifetime.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."