News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,452 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 01, 2015, 11:28:00 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 30, 2015, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 30, 2015, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 30, 2015, 11:07:15 AM
Jim Duquette over at mlb.com has a Cubs/Braves trade proposal that I'd hope Jepstink would do in a heartbeat.

I hate the idea of giving up Contreras--since I don't think Schwarber will pan out at Catcher-- but I don't hate the idea of acquiring a 25-year old Shelby Miller.

I don't have much insight on Contreras beyond his recent hype, but he's really the only long-term catching option in the organization at the moment. I'd imagine they're really hesitant to give him up.

Some interesting tidbits about Contreras from Brett, who thankfully managed for once to not drive his readers to perpetual ennui by  including pointless milquetoast factoids about his personal life.

--Contreras was so far off people's radar last year that he was exposed in the Rule V and nobody took him.
-- He had been exposed to Rule V in previous years also
--He was on nobody's Top Prospect list last season and now he's #2.

I now find myself a little concerned about Conterars' sudden ascension (*cough*cough*performance enhancers? *cough*cough*) and am curious to see if last season was an out-of-the-blue anomaly or if he really just arrived--even though not a single scout saw it coming. 

In any event consider me a little concerned about his ability to repeat his performance from last year which I suppose means I'm not as attached to him as I was when I woke up today.

Brett didn't write that post, so that *could* explain why there are no factoids about Brett's personal life in it.

Anyway, I'll be damned if I let you wieners temper my enthusiasm about a good defensive catcher with good contact skills and an excellent walk rate, and who Miggy loves.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
The Braves can fuck right off with their Soler for Miller talk, by God.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2015, 01:54:28 PM

If the Cubs decide to move Soler, it's going to be for a fuckload more than Miller.

Miller's worth maybe Coghlan/Wood and a warm body from the system, or two mid-level prospects.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 01, 2015, 02:07:10 PM

If the Cubs decide to move Soler, it's going to be for a fuckload more than Miller.

Miller's worth maybe Coghlan/Wood and a warm body from the system, or two mid-level prospects.

I would never hate a Cubs player more than the white guy they'd get back for Soler.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

For once in my life I wish one of us actually could get a GM's secretary on the phone because I want to hear the laughter from the Braves GM if you called and offered them Chris Coghlan and Travis Wood for Shelby Miller.

You should have to call into The Score to propose this trade offer, that's where it belongs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »

Nice try.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2015, 02:09:35 PM

For once in my life I wish one of us actually could get a GM's secretary on the phone because I want to hear the laughter from the Braves GM if you called and offered them Chris Coghlan and Travis Wood for Shelby Miller.

You should have to call into The Score to propose this trade offer, that's where it belongs.

Miller's a #3 on a contender. That's worth a starting OF and a #5 starter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 01, 2015, 03:15:16 PM

We're talking about Wade Miller right? That's how much I give a shit about this Miller trade talk.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 01, 2015, 03:16:42 PM

We're talking about Wade Miller right? That's how much I give a shit about this Miller trade talk.

Yeah, it might as well be. Miller's WAR last season was 3.4, same as the Quality Start Machine.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »

Chris Coghlan and Travis Wood are neither of those things, which is beside the point, which is that there's no reason on earth why a rebuilding team like the Braves would trade a young, quality starting pitcher with multiple years of control left for a 31 year old greasy chested malcontent or a 29 year old long reliever (both of whom are free agents after this season).

And also, no, just no.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: December 01, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2015, 03:23:55 PM

Chris Coghlan and Travis Wood are neither of those things, which is beside the point, which is that there's no reason on earth why a rebuilding team like the Braves would trade a young, quality starting pitcher with multiple years of control left for a 31 year old greasey chested malcontent or a 29 year old long reliever (both of whom are free agents after this season).

And also, no, just no.

For the same reason the Cubs kept getting the Scott Feldmans of the world - they become pieces that contenders will use to plug holes for the stretch run and will be happy to give up prospects for. You turn one Kyle Hendricks-level pitcher into 3-4 prospects at about the same level you'd get 2 for in a straight trade. The impending free agency makes them more attractive as trade pieces at mid-season.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: December 01, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 01, 2015, 03:27:54 PM

Chris Coghlan and Travis Wood are neither of those things, which is beside the point, which is that there's no reason on earth why a rebuilding team like the Braves would trade a young, quality starting pitcher with multiple years of control left for a 31 year old greasey chested malcontent or a 29 year old long reliever (both of whom are free agents after this season).

And also, no, just no.

For the same reason the Cubs kept getting the Scott Feldmans of the world - they become pieces that contenders will use to plug holes for the stretch run and will be happy to give up prospects for. You turn one Kyle Hendricks-level pitcher into 3-4 prospects at about the same level you'd get 2 for in a straight trade. The impending free agency makes them more attractive as trade pieces at mid-season.

At no point did the Cubs give up a good, young, controllable asset in order to acquire a Scott Feldman type they could then flip to get more good, young, controllable assets. They picked those guys up for basically nothing in FA so there'd be no risk if they went tits up like Jose Veras. If Travis Wood puts up another 5.00+ ERA as a starter (as he's done in 40+ starts over the last two years) or Coghlan regresses back to 2010-2013 Coghlan now that he's over 30, they'd have gotten rid of Shelby Miller for nothing, which is why no sane person would ever do that.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

And also, no, just no.

This is a bit convoluted.  Why would The Braves trade a controllable, 25 year old pitcher for a chance to flip a couple of veterans at the deadline for some prospects who probably wouldn't be good enough to get you the 25 year old pitcher in the first place?

Let's keep in mind that the Feldman trade was a pretty giant exception to the rule (as was the Russell/McKinney deal).  The Braves just signed Jim Johnson and Bud Norris to try to do exactly that anyway.

The market for Miller is going to be steep.  If they want Soler, I just hope The Cubs say no and move on.

I think I'd rather have Teheran anyway and even he's probably not worth Soler.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 01, 2015, 03:33:01 PM

And also, no, just no.

This is a bit convoluted.  Why would The Braves trade a controllable, 25 year old pitcher for a chance to flip a couple of veterans at the deadline for some prospects who probably wouldn't be good enough to get you the 25 year old pitcher in the first place?

Let's keep in mind that the Feldman trade was a pretty giant exception to the rule (as was the Russell/McKinney deal).  The Braves just signed Jim Johnson and Bud Norris to try to do exactly that anyway.

The market for Miller is going to be steep.  If they want Soler, I just hope The Cubs say no and move on.
I think I'd rather have Teheran anyway and even he's probably not worth Soler.

I think I want Teheran more anyway for that precise reason. His struggles this year might leave him undervalued, and I think there's more upside there than with Miller. I think we saw the best possible version of Miller this year. Teheran would be a nice project for Bosio, I'd just still hope they'd hedge their bets by adding another consistent veteran starter in FA.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: December 01, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2015, 03:31:44 PM

And also, no, just no.

At no point did the Cubs give up a good, young, controllable asset in order to acquire a Scott Feldman type they could then flip to get more good, young, controllable assets. They picked those guys up for basically nothing in FA so there'd be no risk if they went tits up like Jose Veras. If Travis Wood puts up another 5.00+ ERA as a starter (as he's done in 40+ starts over the last two years) or Coghlan regresses back to 2010-2013 Coghlan now that he's over 30, they'd have gotten rid of Shelby Miller for nothing, which is why no sane person would ever do that.

Again, I don't think Miller's going to bring the lush haul you seem to think he will. Among the young cost-controlled starters out there, he's not exactly the top of the heap.
TIME TO POST!