News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,371 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #960 on: January 22, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 02:24:37 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 02:21:46 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 01:21:45 PM
I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

They'd just go with Szczur out there. Almora would OPS like .400 in the bigs right now.

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.

Baez would be my first choice in this awful hypothetical where Heyward gets hurt.  It's just that Baez-as-a-CF is kind of an unknown quantity at this point.  Let's see how it plays out in Mesa.

I'd probably put Eddy Julio Martinez in CF, sight unseen, than Almora.

Yeah well you're a proven dope.

That feels very subjective. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #961 on: January 22, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 02:20:22 PM
I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

They'd just go with Szczur out there. Almora would OPS like .400 in the bigs right now.

I'll take that if the alternative means having to watch a 3-ring circus in the OF, which is what the outfield defense would look like with Mack Seizure holding down the fort in center is all I was saying.

It's not like he's Kevin Kiermaier out there. He's probably an above-average defensive CF right now. If Heyward were to get hurt, there'd be dozens of options available in trade or off the street that would likely be better than Almora.

If Almora has any role in their future plans, he should just be getting minor-league reps until his plate approach sticks. Making him face major-league pitching would just be cruel.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #962 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2016, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 02:20:22 PM
I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

I'll take that if the alternative means having to watch a 3-ring circus in the OF, which is what the outfield defense would look like with Mack Seizure holding down the fort in center is all I was saying.

It's not like he's Kevin Kiermaier out there. He's probably an above-average defensive CF right now. If Heyward were to get hurt, there'd be dozens of options available in trade or off the street that would likely be better than Almora.

If Almora has any role in their future plans, he should just be getting minor-league reps until his plate approach sticks. Making him face major-league pitching would just be cruel.

I have as big a prospect-boner as anyone and I've been well known to really overrate these guys, but Almora is crappy. 

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 25, 2016, 04:13:34 PM
DPD. 

No idea about this source, but this guy says the Cubs have the best rotation in all of MLB.

When I read something like this...

Quote from:  zuh?Only the Cardinals have Nos. 4 and 5 starters that stack up to Jason Hammel and Kyle Hendricks,

...I assume we've reached the End Times of Starting Pitching.

That can't be true, can it?  Hammel and Hendricks are the best 4/5 in baseball?  Really?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #965 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 25, 2016, 04:19:41 PM
DPD. 

No idea about this source, but this guy says the Cubs have the best rotation in all of MLB.

Quote from:  zuh?Only the Cardinals have Nos. 4 and 5 starters that stack up to Jason Hammel and Kyle Hendricks,

That can't be true, can it?  Hammel and Hendricks are the best 4/5 in baseball?  Really?

Hammel had an fWAR of 2.4, bWAR of 1.7, a FIP of 3.68, and an ERA+ of 105
Hendricks had an fWAR of 3.4, bWAR of 1.8, a FIP of 3.36, and an ERA+ of 99.

I know Hammel gets the hate due to his progressive descent to mediocrity last year. I know we are terrified of Hendricks because he looks like he'll get lit up every 5th day, but I think we need to stop being so fatalistic about those 2. They're not as bad as we might feel like they are.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #966 on: January 25, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 25, 2016, 04:31:07 PM
DPD. 

I know Hammel gets the hate due to his progressive descent to mediocrity last year. I know we are terrified of Hendricks because he looks like he'll get lit up every 5th day, but I think we need to stop being so fatalistic about those 2. They're not as bad as we might feel like they are.

I wasn't being fatalistic so much as just (apparently) undervaluing the back-end of the Cubs rotation.

In any event, heady times we're in.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #967 on: January 25, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 25, 2016, 04:38:08 PM
DPD. 

I wasn't being fatalistic so much as just (apparently) undervaluing the back-end of the Cubs rotation.

In 2004, the Cubs had Matt Clement and Greg Maddux as the 4th and 5th starters. That team won the offseason world series so hard I can still feel it in my colon when the weather is just so.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2016, 05:51:01 PM »
DPD. 

I have bitched about Hendricks more than anyone but Sterling and I still agree he's a wonderful 5th starter. I think the problem with Hammel is there's no way to know which Hammel we are getting. I doubt we see first half Hammel again and second half Hammel wasnt even serviceable. 

That said, if Hammel falters Warren also seems to be an above average starting pitcher who is probably better than most 4s. Heady times indeed
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
DPD.  

It's a strange list of the best rotations that doesn't even list the projected rotations, 1-5, themselves.

I also think the Mets' is better, but a Cubs trade for Carrasco, Salazar, Odorizzi, or dare I say Gray would push them to number 1.

And SKO's right. I still hate Hendricks but I can't argue with the overall value.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #970 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:50 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 25, 2016, 04:38:08 PM
DPD. 

The Cubs are still pretty top-heavy.  They're one of the best rotations in baseball because they project to get about 8 wins out of Arrieta/Lester.  Add in 3 wins from Lackey and they could have league-average starting (or slightly below) and still be top-5.

The Mets don't have anyone as good as Arrieta.  Yet.  They seem to have about 4 x 4-win pitchers, which is also scary good.  Same with Cleveland.

It's also the only reason that The Dodgers are in the conversation...Kershaw is about an 8-win pitcher, which is crazy.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #974 on: February 04, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »
Via some dude in Eli's Twitter: The Matt Murton Family Breakfast

Yes that appears to be some kind of breakfast sandwich and some kind of chicken breakfast with Matt Murton's face on it.