News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: LACKPOCALYPSE NOW  ( 3,024 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
LACKPOCALYPSE NOW
« on: December 04, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »
Oh man.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: LACKPOCALYPSE NOW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »
We need a firebarn, now more than ever.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
I'm glad I have someone to hate on this team now.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
This is what I get for saying "anyone but Snork."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 04, 2015, 06:51:40 PM

Still rather have him than Snork given what Snork is asking. Now let's see them not sign Snork, not trade Soler, move Castro to center and call it an offseason.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 04, 2015, 08:32:54 PM
Quote from: Bort on December 04, 2015, 06:51:40 PM

Still rather have him than Snork given what Snork is asking. Now let's see them not sign Snork, not trade Soler, move Castro to center and call it an offseason.

You take this back, right now.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »
Can we firebarn a thread?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
I found this description of the 2016 Cubs on the interweb today: 

"It's hard to call a team that hasn't won the World Series in 107 seasons the league's next dynasty, but it looks like that's where they're headed. They have the most young hitting talent in baseball and even as most of them were rookies, they won 97 games last season. As they mature, they will get better. Since those youngsters aren't getting paid very much, they can afford to sign great pitching, including extending Jake Arrieta's contract. That sets them up to be among several World Series favorites for at least the next five years."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »
After what Greinke and Price received, I don't think any team short of the Imperials can afford Arrieta, and even they would have to put off the construction of the Death Star for a few years in order to swing his likely demands. Obviously the Cubs can't truly consider extending him until after this season, and if he has a year even approaching what he did last year, then contract negotiations are going to be painful to follow.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on December 07, 2015, 07:55:02 AM
After what Greinke and Price received, I don't think any team short of the Imperials can afford Arrieta, and even they would have to put off the construction of the Death Star for a few years in order to swing his likely demands. Obviously the Cubs can't truly consider extending him until after this season, and if he has a year even approaching what he did last year, then contract negotiations are going to be painful to follow.

This isn't really a rare opinion anymore, but I don't think they should even think about an extension. They have him through his age-31 season for a relatively cheap cost. There's almost no upside in giving him a huge contract extension this year.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2015, 09:12:51 AM

This isn't really a rare opinion anymore, but I don't think they should even think about an extension. They have him through his age-31 season for a relatively cheap cost. There's almost no upside in giving him a huge contract extension this year.

You can give him 5 years now at a rate that will be below market value compared to his walk year. And 5 years now means you can give him his gold watch and watch him ride into the sunset elsewhere.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 09:21:39 AM

You can give him 5 years now at a rate that will be below market value compared to his walk year. And 5 years now means you can give him his gold watch and watch him ride into the sunset elsewhere.

5 years now means you're guaranteeing to pay a guy until he's 37 years old when he's managed exactly one 200 IP season in his career. No thanks.

Also he's a Boras client, so the odds of him agreeing to a below market anything are slim
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 09:28:05 AM

5 years now means you're guaranteeing to pay a guy until he's 37 years old when he's managed exactly one 200 IP season in his career. No thanks.

Also he's a Boras client, so the odds of him agreeing to a below market anything are slim

There should be zero conversation about Arrieta's long-time role with the Cubs until the final out of 2016. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »

Yeah, but Arietta's a slightly different case that the average Boras client, in that he wouldn't hit the free agent market until he's probably older than any of the "premium" free agents in his class - this is assuming, of course, that he remains a God among men between here and there.

So teams might be a little more leery about backing up the Brinks truck then, so he might as well cash in now - and if he signs a Snork-sized deal now, he'd still make out over the course of 5 years.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 07, 2015, 12:10:04 PM

Yeah, but Arietta's a slightly different case that the average Boras client, in that he wouldn't hit the free agent market until he's probably older than any of the "premium" free agents in his class - this is assuming, of course, that he remains a God among men between here and there.

So teams might be a little more leery about backing up the Brinks truck then, so he might as well cash in now - and if he signs a Snork-sized deal now, he'd still make out over the course of 5 years.

He'd be the same age that Greinke is now and Greinke just got 206 million dollars. Stop.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015