News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN  ( 20,823 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »
Well put: http://www.tor.com/2016/01/14/hey-star-wars-episode-viii-dont-make-rey-a-skywalker/
If Rey is Luke's daughter then all this new trilogy is setting out to prove is that the Force is basically safeguarded by their family, and that they're the only ones who can fix it... or conversely, screw it up. Instead of the previous trilogies being a fascinating blip in their galaxy's history, the Force becomes all about "The Divine Right of Skywalkers." Their morality drives the universe, and their philosophy becomes paramount. We've already had two solid generations of this, and it was very interesting... now let it be over. Don't let one family have the biggest say in how Good and Evil function in this sandbox.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 07:15:02 AM
Kylo Ren is not dead, obviously, Snoke probably found exactly where Ren was with the force and then Hux and Scotty beamed him out.

THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »
Quote from: Tony on January 14, 2016, 08:36:01 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 07:37:01 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 14, 2016, 07:29:56 AM
Gotta disagree on some points. I share your sentiment that, hopefully, Rey is not Luke's kid. It doesn't make sense to me that Luke would've allowed one of his kids to basically be abandoned on some planet somewhere.

Likewise, I don't think Han or Leia knew who Rey was. Upon my rewatch I thought maybe Kylo knows, or at least has an idea, though.

I've considered that, too, that she was someone Kylo Ren couldn't bring himself to kill so he hid her away from Luke AND the First Order. That might be why he asks "WHICH GIRL?" when he interrogates that officer

Which means she could be Luke's kid or Han & Leia's kid. Nobody was coming back for her, and nobody recognizes her, because they thought she died when she was 4 or 5 years old.

Luke wouldn't have abandoned his kid to go sulk for 15 years. Maybe he doesn't even know he has a kid. Maybe in the next movie Rey will say to Luke "No... you are my father" and then Luke will say "No, that's not possible" and then jump off the island.

That would be hilarious. That needs to be a Robot Chicken bit, if nothing else.

Also, maybe her name isn't even "Rey," which would complicate matters. Of course, Luke would recognize her immediately. And that might be the one plot hole - Leia might be strong enough in the force to recognize Rey as family as well.

If they are following the basic theme of the original trilogy, there will be a reveal at some point in the second movie. Makes sense that it's related to Rey, although it would be hilarious (and slightly racist) if Lando shows up and reveals that he is the father of Finn.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 14, 2016, 09:29:53 AM
Gotta disagree on some points. I share your sentiment that, hopefully, Rey is not Luke's kid. It doesn't make sense to me that Luke would've allowed one of his kids to basically be abandoned on some planet somewhere.

Likewise, I don't think Han or Leia knew who Rey was. Upon my rewatch I thought maybe Kylo knows, or at least has an idea, though.

I've considered that, too, that she was someone Kylo Ren couldn't bring himself to kill so he hid her away from Luke AND the First Order. That might be why he asks "WHICH GIRL?" when he interrogates that officer

Which means she could be Luke's kid or Han & Leia's kid. Nobody was coming back for her, and nobody recognizes her, because they thought she died when she was 4 or 5 years old.

Luke wouldn't have abandoned his kid to go sulk for 15 years. Maybe he doesn't even know he has a kid. Maybe in the next movie Rey will say to Luke "No... you are my father" and then Luke will say "No, that's not possible" and then jump off the island.

Also, maybe her name isn't even "Rey," which would complicate matters. Of course, Luke would recognize her immediately. And that might be the one plot hole - Leia might be strong enough in the force to recognize Rey as family as well.

If they are following the basic theme of the original trilogy, there will be a reveal at some point in the second movie. Makes sense that it's related to Rey, although it would be hilarious (and slightly racist) if Lando shows up and reveals that he is the father of Finn.

They may not want to go down that road too far, becuase it raises the question of "How did Darth Vader not know Leia was his daughter when he was standing right next to her on the Death Star for hours on end."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
So has anyone else pointed out how dope it was when Kylo Ren held that blaster bolt in midair for several minutes?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 14, 2016, 10:51:03 AM
So has anyone else pointed out how dope it was when Kylo Ren held that blaster bolt in midair for several minutes?

That was actually the moment I went "yep okay this is going to be a good one." Everything else was solid to that point but right there was I like "oh shit, this is Star Wars"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 10:52:44 AM

That was actually the moment I went "yep okay this is going to be a good one." Everything else was solid to that point but right there was I like "oh shit, this is Star Wars"

It was something never actually shown before that totally felt like a Star Wars moment and I actually said "OH, DIP" really loudly when I saw it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 14, 2016, 10:54:43 AM

It was something never actually shown before that totally felt like a Star Wars moment and I actually said "OH, DIP" really loudly when I saw it.

I see a lot of stupid people who are stupid that say shit like "Darth Emo" about Kylo Ren and hate him because he cries and under his mask he's basically a wimp but I actually love that about him. He's scared as shit, and angry, and wounded, and he likes to pretend to be big scary guy when underneath he's all kinds of conflicted and afraid.

He's everything prequel Anakin should have been. Instead of just a guy who was pretty much always an asshole until he killed some children. The end.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 10:49:03 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 14, 2016, 09:29:53 AM

They may not want to go down that road too far, becuase it raises the question of "How did Darth Vader not know Leia was his daughter when he was standing right next to her on the Death Star for hours on end."

I'd argue the difference being that Vader didn't know about Leia at all, whereas per this theory, Leia would've probably spent time with Baby Rey.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 11:02:55 AM

I see a lot of stupid people who are stupid that say shit like "Darth Emo" about Kylo Ren and hate him because he cries and under his mask he's basically a wimp but I actually love that about him. He's scared as shit, and angry, and wounded, and he likes to pretend to be big scary guy when underneath he's all kinds of conflicted and afraid.

He's everything prequel Anakin should have been. Instead of just a guy who was pretty much always an asshole until he killed some children. The end.

He's a great character. Immensely powerful while being shitty and confused. He's honestly exactly what the Luke from IV would have become if Vader found him first.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 14, 2016, 11:12:30 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2016, 11:02:55 AM

He's a great character. Immensely powerful while being shitty and confused. He's honestly exactly what the Luke from IV would have become if Vader found him first.

Right, the main thing about the dark side that the prequels did get right is that the main path to it is fear. Most people don't start out so evil as to go the dark side because they want to be a scary evil murderer. Luke comes closest to the dark side in Jedi because he's afraid of Vader going after Leia. Kylo is mostly just afraid of not being good enough, of not living up the legacy and burden of his family.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
Okay, time for you all to take a cold shower again.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 14, 2016, 11:54:30 AM

We're all nerds for something. Some of us, just more so.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 14, 2016, 11:54:30 AM

What you should definitely do is keep posting in here, though. This bit gets funnier every time, Dubbs.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »
Did anyone else notice that the end with Luke and his robes and rocky cliff looked like a Led Zeppelin poster? I thought that was pretty awesome.