News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,435 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #1125 on: September 27, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 27, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on September 27, 2016, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 27, 2016, 11:48:41 AMThis is the best opportunity. Not taking advantage of it would suck major ass and you're all lying to yourselves if you act like it won't.

I think we're missing each other in the nuance here. OF COURSE it will be heartbreaking if they don't take this all the way. (Spoiler alert: They will.) But I believe the original question underpinning this here thought exercise was "At what point does THE SEASON go from success to failure?" and all I'm saying is that the first 100+ win season in 80 years is already historically successful and can't possibly become a failure on the whole at this point. Can it end in heartbreak? Of course. It always does. (Except that it won't, not this year, because they absolutely are doing this thing. It is known.) Your mileage may vary. All I'm saying is that in my estimation, the success that has been the 2016 season cannot be erased by whatever nine separate misfortunes which could potentially (in some kind of alternate reality) come next. Sure, it would suck. It won't erase the last 6 months.

If they fail to win the world series this year I will be heartbroken and disgusted and so bitter and angry I will probably avoid this place and all discussion of baseball until next year starts. If they win the world series next year then I will retroactively deem this year a success once again. I'll also fondly remember 2008, and talk openly about how cool Mark Prior was in 2003. Until said World Series redeems a lifetime of Cubs fandom, however, I'd be unable to look back at this season with anything other than pain.

If you can take a more positive spin on it, by all means, do you. I'm not a healthy individual, though.

So basically the same as any other day following a Cubs loss?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1126 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 27, 2016, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 27, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on September 27, 2016, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 27, 2016, 11:48:41 AMThis is the best opportunity. Not taking advantage of it would suck major ass and you're all lying to yourselves if you act like it won't.

I think we're missing each other in the nuance here. OF COURSE it will be heartbreaking if they don't take this all the way. (Spoiler alert: They will.) But I believe the original question underpinning this here thought exercise was "At what point does THE SEASON go from success to failure?" and all I'm saying is that the first 100+ win season in 80 years is already historically successful and can't possibly become a failure on the whole at this point. Can it end in heartbreak? Of course. It always does. (Except that it won't, not this year, because they absolutely are doing this thing. It is known.) Your mileage may vary. All I'm saying is that in my estimation, the success that has been the 2016 season cannot be erased by whatever nine separate misfortunes which could potentially (in some kind of alternate reality) come next. Sure, it would suck. It won't erase the last 6 months.

If they fail to win the world series this year I will be heartbroken and disgusted and so bitter and angry I will probably avoid this place and all discussion of baseball until next year starts. If they win the world series next year then I will retroactively deem this year a success once again. I'll also fondly remember 2008, and talk openly about how cool Mark Prior was in 2003. Until said World Series redeems a lifetime of Cubs fandom, however, I'd be unable to look back at this season with anything other than pain.

If you can take a more positive spin on it, by all means, do you. I'm not a healthy individual, though.

So basically the same as any other day following a Cubs loss?

Yeah but for months. Picture this place without me for an entire offseason. Dead silence, you'll not hear a single ran---hey where'd everybody go
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1127 on: September 27, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 27, 2016, 01:01:59 PM
I guess I'm a freak, because I will definitely be very upset if they don't go all the way, but I'll probably get over it and have largely fond memories of this year even in the worst case scenario.

I think I'd be the same way. There's no need this week to be overly doomsday, but it's hard to not be aware that the numbers say they're ~3x more likely to fail than win it. And those are their odds as a really elite team.

I've wondered if this detachment could work against me if they do end up winning it, but I could probably shove down those feelings pretty easily while wearing my 2016 World Series Champions T-shirt for 800 straight days.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1128 on: September 27, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 27, 2016, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 27, 2016, 01:01:59 PM
I guess I'm a freak, because I will definitely be very upset if they don't go all the way, but I'll probably get over it and have largely fond memories of this year even in the worst case scenario.

I think I'd be the same way. There's no need this week to be overly doomsday, but it's hard to not be aware that the numbers say they're ~3x more likely to fail than win it. And those are their odds as a really elite team.

I've wondered if this detachment could work against me if they do end up winning it, but I could probably shove down those feelings pretty easily while wearing my 2016 World Series Champions T-shirt for 800 straight days.

Get two, so you can wear one for 799 days and one on Laundry Day.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1129 on: September 27, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
Cubs vs. NL Central, 2016 (after game of Sept. 27)

Pirates: 14-3 (.824)
Reds: 13-3 (.813)
Brewers: 11-8 (.579)
Cardinals: 10-9 (.526)

Total: 48-23 (.676)

Games Remaining (Regular Season)
at Reds: 3
at Pirates: 2
vs Brewers: 0
vs Cardinals: 0
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1130 on: September 28, 2016, 09:31:28 AM »
With the Wilson Ramos injury, I started thinking that guys like Tim Buss and the training and medical staff of The Cubs don't get enough praise.

They've really had just one significant injury in the past 2 years and it was fluky.
I suppose we'll have to wait and see how Rondon's arm plays out.
And Soler has weird leg muscles.

But that's about it, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1131 on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2016, 09:31:28 AM
With the Wilson Ramos injury, I started thinking that guys like Tim Buss and the training and medical staff of The Cubs don't get enough praise.

They've really had just one significant injury in the past 2 years and it was fluky.

Fowler missed a month this season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1132 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 28, 2016, 09:35:46 AM

Oh yeah.

Well, still seems impressive.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1133 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2016, 09:54:15 AM

Oh yeah.

More impressive was having Contreras and Almora ready to fill in instead of having to overpay for a stopgap veteran.
TIME TO POST!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1134 on: September 28, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 28, 2016, 09:58:51 AM
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2016, 09:54:15 AM

Oh yeah.

More impressive was having Contreras and Almora ready to fill in instead of having to overpay for a stopgap veteran.

That goes beyond the scope of my post.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1135 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
Cubs vs. NL Central, 2016 (Arrieta Panic Edition)

Reds: 13-3 (.813)
Pirates: 14-4 (.778)
Brewers: 11-8 (.579)
Cardinals: 10-9 (.526)

Total: 48-24 (.667)

Games Remaining (Regular Season)
at Reds: 3
at Pirates: 1
vs Brewers: 0
vs Cardinals: 0
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1136 on: September 29, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
Part of me is waiting for the Pirates to start playing dirty as revenge for the sustained, embarrassing beating they've been taking from the Cubs these last two years.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1137 on: September 29, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on September 29, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Part of me is waiting for the Pirates to start playing dirty as revenge for the sustained, embarrassing beating they've been taking from the Cubs these last two years.

"Part of me is waiting for something to happen" is the most noncommittally Canadian thing I've ever heard that didn't also include an apology.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1138 on: September 29, 2016, 06:49:09 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 29, 2016, 06:39:47 PM

"Part of me is waiting for something to happen" is the most noncommittally Canadian thing I've ever heard that didn't also include an apology.

With utmost respect, I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for my regrettable failure to include a plea for forgiveness in my lamentable preceding post. I have let down Canadians everywhere, and must now embark upon the Shameful Trek of Redress. As this error in judgement occurred while we approach winter, I will certainly expire while en route, probably upon my approach to Thunder Bay, where the winters are as brutal as a Jim Hendry-generated scouting report. (Sorry, Jim Hendry, for the poor analogy.)
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1139 on: September 30, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »

All of me hopes they take out their frustration this weekend against St. Louis. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs