News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,388 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #765 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 31, 2016, 07:16:36 PM
What was your favorite moment of the Brian Matusz Era?

Between sending down La Stella in favor of Coghlan, giving Matusz a start because fuck it why not, and using Joel Peralta at all it feels like the Cubs are using the rest of the season for roster tinkering rather than winning which is pretty fucking dumb considering their lead is now longer even remotely close to insurmountable

Meh, they had to call Matusz up or let him walk. Given that he's a LHP, had good numbers from 2013-15, and was effective in his minor league rehab, it was worth giving him a shot.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #766 on: July 31, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 31, 2016, 08:28:31 PM

Between sending down La Stella in favor of Coghlan, giving Matusz a start because fuck it why not, and using Joel Peralta at all it feels like the Cubs are using the rest of the season for roster tinkering rather than winning which is pretty fucking dumb considering their lead is now longer even remotely close to insurmountable

Meh, they had to call Matusz up or let him walk. Given that he's a LHP, had good numbers from 2013-15, and was effective in his minor league rehab, it was worth giving him a shot.

So stash him in the pen, give him some opportunities as a LOOGY. Starting him was just dumb
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 08:29:27 PM

So stash him in the pen, give him some opportunities as a LOOGY. Starting him was just dumb

And they made Justin Grimm join Tommy La Stella in the Sent Down To Make Room for Trash club.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #768 on: July 31, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
Damn. Felix has been clowning Rizzo tonight.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #769 on: July 31, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »

Why? The beginning of a home game is as low-leverage as it gets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #770 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

You know, this is krayzee talk, but there is this "showcasing" thing right before the deadline.

P.S. What's Wood doing in LF again? I've been suffering from sudden bursts of being barely able to stay awake.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #771 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:18 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on July 31, 2016, 09:53:02 PM

You know, this is krayzee talk, but there is this "showcasing" thing right before the deadline.

P.S. What's Wood doing in LF again? I've been suffering from sudden bursts of being barely able to stay awake.

Joe Gonna Joe.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #772 on: July 31, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 31, 2016, 10:22:18 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on July 31, 2016, 09:53:02 PM

Joe Gonna Joe.

This is the ESPN Sunday feature game, right? I can scarcely imagine what's been running through their heads between Matusz showing up to start and Free Baseball to end.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #773 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:24 PM »
Hahahaha that was fucking nuts
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #774 on: August 01, 2016, 12:35:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 11:30:24 PM
Hahahaha that was fucking nuts

I think that might be my favorite win of the year. When Matusz left in disgrace I thought they had no chance.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »
I still think the Matusz thing was dumb and that being forced to exhaust the entire pen probably negates the gain from giving the starters an extra day of rest, especially if Hendricks has to throw like 115 pitches or something today, but I think the less we speak of Brian Matusz from here on out the better.

This bullpen is legitimately great now, Heyward is maybe, maybe coming around finally, Jake has looked pretty Jakeish for three straight starts barring one inning against the White Sox. I still don't think Theo will sit tight today, either. Things are looking good.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
I can't help wondering if Wood's catch in LF will be like Ross' IP/HR against the Phillies last season, something to loosen everyone up so they can tear the National League several new assholes in August.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #777 on: August 01, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 07:41:06 AM
I still think the Matusz thing was dumb and that being forced to exhaust the entire pen probably negates the gain from giving the starters an extra day of rest, especially if Hendricks has to throw like 115 pitches or something today, but I think the less we speak of Brian Matusz from here on out the better.

This bullpen is legitimately great now, Heyward is maybe, maybe coming around finally, Jake has looked pretty Jakeish for three straight starts barring one inning against the White Sox. I still don't think Theo will sit tight today, either. Things are looking good.

To those of us who weren't farting fire on Twitter with every Cubs loss or misplay, things were always looking pretty good.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #778 on: August 01, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 01, 2016, 08:16:16 AM

To those of us who weren't farting fire on Twitter with every Cubs loss or misplay, things were always looking pretty good.

To be fair TJ Brown declared the season basically over on this here board like two weeks ago. I was never *that* far gone

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 08:22:21 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 01, 2016, 08:16:16 AM

To be fair TJ Brown declared the season basically over on this here board like two weeks ago. I was never *that* far gone

Yeah...shit's getting weird.