News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: John Lackey's Blazing Horse House Inferno  ( 41,223 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: John Lackey's Blazing Horse House Inferno
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 28, 2017, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2017, 02:31:54 PM
Ah fuck we're going to end up with Lance Lynn aren't we

Here's your shopping list. I admit it, I thought Pineda signed an extension with the Yankees.

Why would you want Pineda?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 28, 2017, 03:25:38 PM

Here's your shopping list. I admit it, I thought Pineda signed an extension with the Yankees.

For the candy that spills out when you whack him with a broomstick.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 28, 2017, 03:25:38 PM

I don't. I just thought he signed before he got hurt.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Fuck you, Lackey
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2017, 06:27:28 AM »
I was watching the condensed game this morning (no broadcaster audio), so what was Lackey doing when he was picked off? It seemed like he was just Starlin-ing out there.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on August 22, 2017, 08:14:51 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 30, 2017, 02:50:11 PM
Fuck you, Lackey

I've been told you cant get mad at Lackey because he's been solid for 1 of the 5 months of baseball played this season
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 22, 2017, 08:40:14 PM
Fuck you, Lackey

I've been told you cant get mad at Lackey because he's been solid for 1 of the 5 months of baseball played this season

This is correct. Lackey is Good Now (TM).
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
Fuck you, Lackey

I don't have time for your sensible posts...

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: August 23, 2017, 05:25:31 AM »
Fuck you, Lackey

As the closet thing to a Lackey supporter--and I seriously hate the guy as much as y'all--I think this is some serious Wounded SKO hyperbole.  The nicest thing I've said about Lackey is that...well I don't think I've said anything nice about him at all come to think of it, nor have I told anyone to not get mad at him.  I have, however, pointed out that all of the bitching and moaning and postulating about his imminent departure (mind you, this is not just you, SKO, but a sizeable and noteworthy lot on Twitter) is pointless as much as it is incorrect.  For a #5 starter on a team with contention hopes, Lackey is about as good as you should expect to get and mindlessly typing FUCK YOU to him on Twitter every single start will do absolutely nothing to change that fact.  You don't have to like it but I do recommend accepting it.  

And that was my stance in early July--that the guy's getting paid for another 15 or so starts, and hopefully he can eat innings and not hurt them too badly.  Even with that low bar, that's not exactly unusual for a #5 starter (hello Dan Haren!  Or do you prefer Sean Estes?) And while I do find amusement in the petulant bumping of this thread because he had his first shitty start in the 5 weeks since the All-Star Break, the fact of the matter is that until Jake's last 2 starts had probably allowed Jake to overtake Lackey, the latter had been the best starting pitcher on a team since that point--for a team that desperately needed to establish stability out of their rotation.  

In fact, SKO, you should be happy as fuck that Lackey shit the tub last night as opposed to being angry at him because he almost lost a game to the fucking Reds (that the Cubs won the game is icing on the cake--I've told anyone that cares to listen that they're going to win 60% of the rest of the schedule just by getting out of bed).  Fact is, you don't want Lackey to be too good, as he'll begin to garner sympathy for a playoff roster spot.  Since that is already starting to happen, and since no rational person wants to see it, a performance like last night is sure to counter this effect.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
Quote from: A. Baldheaded Prick on August 23, 2017, 05:25:31 AM
Fuck you, Lackey

As the closet thing to a Lackey supporter--and I seriously hate the guy as much as y'all--I think this is some serious Wounded SKO hyperbole.  The nicest thing I've said about Lackey is that...well I don't think I've said anything nice about him at all come to think of it, nor have I told anyone to not get mad at him.  I have, however, pointed out that all of the bitching and moaning and postulating about his imminent departure (mind you, this is not just you, SKO, but a sizeable and noteworthy lot on Twitter) is pointless as much as it is incorrect.  For a #5 starter on a team with contention hopes, Lackey is about as good as you should expect to get and mindlessly typing FUCK YOU to him on Twitter every single start will do absolutely nothing to change that fact.  You don't have to like it but I do recommend accepting it.  

And that was my stance in early July--that the guy's getting paid for another 15 or so starts, and hopefully he can eat innings and not hurt them too badly.  Even with that low bar, that's not exactly unusual for a #5 starter (hello Dan Haren!  Or do you prefer Sean Estes?) And while I do find amusement in the petulant bumping of this thread because he had his first shitty start in the 5 weeks since the All-Star Break, the fact of the matter is that until Jake's last 2 starts had probably allowed Jake to overtake Lackey, the latter had been the best starting pitcher on a team since that point--for a team that desperately needed to establish stability out of their rotation.  

In fact, SKO, you should be happy as fuck that Lackey shit the tub last night as opposed to being angry at him because he almost lost a game to the fucking Reds (that the Cubs won the game is icing on the cake--I've told anyone that cares to listen that they're going to win 60% of the rest of the schedule just by getting out of bed).  Fact is, you don't want Lackey to be too good, as he'll begin to garner sympathy for a playoff roster spot.  Since that is already starting to happen, and since no rational person wants to see it, a performance like last night is sure to counter this effect.

The only way Lackey gets a playoff spot is if he wants to sulk in the bullpen while Lester/Jake/Quintana/Hendricks get the starts.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
Fuck you, Lackey

I was referring to Sahadev.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 23, 2017, 08:26:49 AM
Fuck you, Lackey

Well without reading the tweets put me on #teamsahadev

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2017, 08:47:08 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 23, 2017, 08:21:02 AM
Fuck you, Lackey

The only way Lackey gets a playoff spot is if he wants to sulk in the bullpen while Lester/Jake/Quintana/Hendricks get the starts.

DPD, and that's my point--I don't see him improving on #5 but with the way the bottom of the bullpen has performed, a spot might fall to him and this horse-faced fuck might wind up swallowing his pride and taking it. And even with that--considering the way Grimm, Wilson and Rondon (last night excepted) have been this year--I'm not convinced right now I'd rather have one of those guys over Lackey anyway.  I wish this weren't the case right now (and I of course hope it's rendered irrelevant in any event but odds are even the 11th pitcher will get in a game and he may need to not suck), but the next month should bear it out either way.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »
Quote from: A. Baldheaded Prick on August 23, 2017, 08:39:49 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 23, 2017, 08:26:49 AM
Fuck you, Lackey

Well without reading the tweets put me on #teamsahadev

My initial tweet was how "this is shaping up to be one of those games where I'm told I have to give credit to Lackey for grinding out a 6 inning, 5 ER start" (I was wrong as it was 6 ER in 5 IP), Sahadev said "oh stop, he's been fine in the second half". I pointed out that his fine second half (where he's managed a whopping 3 quality starts) had lowered his ERA to 4.77 (now 4.90), so I guess I'm just wondering how many cookies pitching adequately as a 5th starter for a month and a half is worth.

I'm told that he's not much worse than average but his ERA+ is 89, which is well below average, and given that he's surrendered 31 fucking bombs it's pretty clear he's been fairly lucky, since his FIP is 5.58. He's also walking batters at a higher rate than he has since the year his elbow exploded. He sucks ass, I will hear no other opinions on the matter.