News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 World Fucking Series Collective Freakout Thread  ( 8,419 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 World Fucking Series Collective Freakout Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 12:59:56 AM »
Sweep, please.  All four like tonight's game.  Don't even let Cleveland think about winning a game.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 01:20:06 AM »
Quote from: Jim Edmonds on October 23, 2016, 12:48:04 AM
Im so happy for all of you,Its been a privilege to experience this journey with you all

This could go in the I admit it thread but fuggit...

Seven years ago, my wife brought home a feral cat she had found at work. We were living in a one bedroom apartment with another cat and had no business bringing in another cat. I agreed to adopt it so long as we could name her Dingers. "Dingers" because of some joke you made in a post probably 8-9 years ago about getting a dog and naming it Dingers and (IIRC) feeding it peanut butter.

So we got this feral cat (again, female) and named her Dingers. And she pissed on everything but was otherwise pretty sweet. Scared of everyone except for the two of us which was kind of endearing. We'd take her to the vet and they didn't know how to say her name ("And who do we have here? Is this ...*raised eyebrow* ... Dinj-ers?").

She'd constantly try to escape. Our apartment was above a shop with an awning. One day I had the window open and we couldn't find Dingers. We looked out the window and there were two sets of claw marks from a cat sliding down the awning. Had to lure her out from underneath a nearby porch with a can of tuna.

We bought a house with a fenced in backyard and started to let her roam around in the backyard. For a while I'd keep an eye on her, but she'd usually stay pretty close by so after a while I wasn't as mindful. One day I let her out and she snuck under the fence, ran out in the street, and got hit by a car. We took her to the emergency vet but there wasn't anything they could do.

I think that was only time I've cried in the last 10 years. Held it together the whole drive home, went in the bathroom, and bawled like a baby. I got a little misty tonight. Four more wins and all bets are off.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 06:26:59 AM »
So... Tuesday Lester on normal rest, Wednesday Jake, Friday Hendricks at home?  Or Tuesday Jake, Wednesday Lester, both on long rest?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 23, 2016, 06:26:59 AM
So... Tuesday Lester on normal rest, Wednesday Jake, Friday Hendricks at home?  Or Tuesday Jake, Wednesday Lester, both on long rest?

Lester Game 1. That's the smart play.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 23, 2016, 12:59:56 AM
Sweep, please.  All four like tonight's game.  Don't even let Cleveland think about winning a game.

I can't think of a better time to not have home field advantage.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
I'm so, so happy for Stew.

On a personal note, since Cullen started it: I didn't think just getting to the World Series would have such an impact on me but it's been a fairly shitty year. For those who don't know I'm a party of one again. I'm obviously not the only one to go through this but needless to say it's been an interesting few months adjusting to living alone again.

Luckily, I have many great friends and people I've been able to re-establish connections with and this playoff run has been an incredibly well timed distraction from everything else.

When someone had two tickets up for sale for game six, I immediately asked how much. They were in a price range that made sense to me. My close friend and an equally die hard Cubs fan said he was in. All the Cubs had to do was beat LA in game five and I had the chance to be in the building for a pennant clincher.

Sure enough the Cubs played their best game of the season. And as we counted it all down and blew past all the cursed moments in center field with a bunch of strangers it started to sink in. All the people who were born and died and never saw this. All the great players we've watched and bonded with each other over who never got to experience this.

When Baez threw that ball to Rizzo and he leapt in the air I screamed. When they started piling on each other on the mound I wept. Literal choking sobs. I'm still feeling it today.

It's a stupid game but that big red C with the little u-b-s inside of it on that blue pinstripe jersey has been with all of us since we were tiny, idiot children. The weight of history is very real.

Yes, they need to win 4 games and I am very confident that they will. But these players have given us all something that no one can ever take away from us. We were there. We saw this happen.

Wherever you were last night we were all together. We've got some more memories to make.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 23, 2016, 12:28:02 PM

On a personal note, since Cullen started it: I didn't think just getting to the World Series would have such an impact on me but it's been a fairly shitty year. For those who don't know I'm a party of one again. I'm obviously not the only one to go through this but needless to say it's been an interesting few months adjusting to living alone again.

Luckily, I have many great friends and people I've been able to re-establish connections with and this playoff run has been an incredibly well timed distraction from everything else.

When someone had two tickets up for sale for game six, I immediately asked how much. They were in a price range that made sense to me. My close friend and an equally die hard Cubs fan said he was in. All the Cubs had to do was beat LA in game five and I had the chance to be in the building for a pennant clincher.

Sure enough the Cubs played their best game of the season. And as we counted it all down and blew past all the cursed moments in center field with a bunch of strangers it started to sink in. All the people who were born and died and never saw this. All the great players we've watched and bonded with each other over who never got to experience this.

When Baez threw that ball to Rizzo and he leapt in the air I screamed. When they started piling on each other on the mound I wept. Literal choking sobs. I'm still feeling it today.

It's a stupid game but that big red C with the little u-b-s inside of it on that blue pinstripe jersey has been with all of us since we were tiny, idiot children. The weight of history is very real.

Yes, they need to win 4 games and I am very confident that they will. But these players have given us all something that no one can ever take away from us. We were there. We saw this happen.

Wherever you were last night we were all together. We've got some more memories to make.

Damn, I love this.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on October 23, 2016, 12:53:48 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 23, 2016, 12:28:02 PM

Damn, I love this.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
Slak.... Chuck.....man I thought I got all my crying out yesterday. I really didn't think it would get all dusty in this Starbucks in Crown Point fucking Indiana while I work on boring accounting shit. I should have waited to finish my work before logging on to this damn message board.