News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 Chicago Cubs: World Series Champions  ( 12,655 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 Chicago Cubs: World Series Champions
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 04, 2016, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: BigDrinky on November 04, 2016, 11:05:27 AM
Watching the parade has started the feels up all over again.  Just seeing those buses with the '2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs' lettering on the side hit home.

I regret picking the ABC 7 stream with an anchor who doesn't know any of the players and identified every open-topped bus as "another bus with players these fans wanted to see."  Then the cameras didn't bother zooming in so I couldn't tell, either.  I demand another World Series in 2017 with BETTER PARADE COVERAGE, DAMMIT

I have great coverage on MLB Network (I think they're just streaming the WGN feed, not sure) and it's equally bad.  The announcers are just terrible. 

But hey....the fucking Cubs won the World Series.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 04, 2016, 11:22:05 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 04, 2016, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: BigDrinky on November 04, 2016, 11:05:27 AM
Watching the parade has started the feels up all over again.  Just seeing those buses with the '2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs' lettering on the side hit home.

I regret picking the ABC 7 stream with an anchor who doesn't know any of the players and identified every open-topped bus as "another bus with players these fans wanted to see."  Then the cameras didn't bother zooming in so I couldn't tell, either.  I demand another World Series in 2017 with BETTER PARADE COVERAGE, DAMMIT

I have great coverage on MLB Network (I think they're just streaming the WGN feed, not sure) and it's equally bad.  The announcers are just terrible. 

But hey....the fucking Cubs won the World Series.

I'm thinking about firing a client to commemorate the event.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »
It's about a day and a half later and I still - LITERALLY - can't believe I was there for games 6 & 7 of a Cubs World Series victory.

I was able to reach my dad from the stands via Facetime about 5 minutes after game 7 ended and could not get a word out because I absolutely lost control and cried my damn eyes out as soon as I saw his face. Then after I thought I had pulled it together, a few minutes later I was able to do the same with my wife & 6 year old son - who she had pulled out of bed before the final out - and immediately melted into a sobbing mess again as soon as I saw his smiling, joyful face. The range of emotions that I experienced during those almost 5 hours of baseball and rain are just...unfathomable. The Baez homer, the Ross homer, the Miggy single - absolute unfiltered joy, and I screamed so loudly I thought my head was going to split in two. The Davis homer - had to choke back vomit. And the final out - Lester talks about how he blacked out during his appearance, which is funny because I just kept telling myself as Montgomery warmed up to NOT BLACK OUT. And my god what a moment it was.

I apologize in advance for being that guy who constantly tells people, unsolicited, that he was there for the greatest game in the history of baseball (and suck my buttpuddle if you believe otherwise). But fuck me if it wasn't one of the top 4 things to ever happen to me.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 04, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
It's about a day and a half later and I still - LITERALLY - can't believe I was there for games 6 & 7 of a Cubs World Series victory.

I was able to reach my dad from the stands via Facetime about 5 minutes after game 7 ended and could not get a word out because I absolutely lost control and cried my damn eyes out as soon as I saw his face. Then after I thought I had pulled it together, a few minutes later I was able to do the same with my wife & 6 year old son - who she had pulled out of bed before the final out - and immediately melted into a sobbing mess again as soon as I saw his smiling, joyful face. The range of emotions that I experienced during those almost 5 hours of baseball and rain are just...unfathomable. The Baez homer, the Ross homer, the Miggy single - absolute unfiltered joy, and I screamed so loudly I thought my head was going to split in two. The Davis homer - had to choke back vomit. And the final out - Lester talks about how he blacked out during his appearance, which is funny because I just kept telling myself as Montgomery warmed up to NOT BLACK OUT. And my god what a moment it was.

I apologize in advance for being that guy who constantly tells people, unsolicited, that he was there for the greatest game in the history of baseball (and suck my buttpuddle if you believe otherwise). But fuck me if it wasn't one of the top 4 things to ever happen to me.

Damn. Here I was all proud of myself for attending all three NLCS games in L.A. You lucky, lucky man.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »

Own this one forever, man.

Rock on.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »

Don't fucking apologize. Have that printed on business cards.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 04, 2016, 03:03:48 PM

Damn. Here I was all proud of myself for attending all three NLCS games in L.A. You lucky, lucky man.
I am such a wimp that I up and left the house during the rain delay to walk off the tension.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 04, 2016, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 04, 2016, 03:03:48 PM

I am such a wimp that I up and left the house during the rain delay to walk off the tension.

I don't blame you at all. I moved around the house quite a bit, but I never even considered taking a walk. Matters were complicated by my wife and toddler being asleep. I managed not to wake either of them up when the Cubs won, although at the time I was in bed watching the game on my iPad.
M'lady.

RW

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2016, 03:51:21 AM »
This may have already been said, I've been kind of drunk for a couple of days.   But we should all enjoy this for as long as we want to, it is ours forever and ever.  Nobody can take this away, and we fucking deserve it.  So there is no limit to when you can stop thinking about what actually fucking happened, almost crying, deciding to smile and say fuck you.  Because fuck you they fucking did it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 03, 2016, 12:48:14 AM
I can't believe it happened.

Honestly, sharing this with all of you guys is the best.

This.  With the exception of STonk, who is genuinely starting to resemble an actual Cubs' fan these days but still only gets out of bed for potential clinchers, I have nobody to share the games with, so you guys have made all the difference for me.  Sitting on my own in the wee hours watching playoff games would have been a singularly joyless and lonely experience, but being able to spend that time slagging you all off in the Slackbox has been a blast.  Meeting up and sharing games in Chicago was even better - it was just a shame that Huey couldn't be bothered to walk an extra block and a half to join us.  Ah well.  Shirtless hugs all round!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 05, 2016, 07:03:29 AM

This.  With the exception of STonk, who is genuinely starting to resemble an actual Cubs' fan these days but still only gets out of bed for potential clinchers, I have nobody to share the games with, so you guys have made all the difference for me.  Sitting on my own in the wee hours watching playoff games would have been a singularly joyless and lonely experience, but being able to spend that time slagging you all off in the Slackbox has been a blast.  Meeting up and sharing games in Chicago was even better - it was just a shame that Huey couldn't be bothered to walk an extra block and a half to join us.  Ah well.  Shirtless hugs all round!
Turns out that California born and bred Ms. Cubbieblue is as dedicated a Cub fan as I am.  Understandable.  I have been schlepping her to Cub games in San Francisco since 1959, and regular season games in Oakland and Chicago.  And even to Spring training games in Mesa, Scotsdale and Phoenix.  She was glued to her seat in front of the television while I was pacing the floor, swearing and muttering.  With the last out she was applauding loudly while I sat there, unbelieving.  The least I can do is to be enthusiastic about her Warriors.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 05, 2016, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Tonker on November 05, 2016, 07:03:29 AM

Turns out that California born and bred Ms. Cubbieblue is as dedicated a Cub fan as I am.  Understandable.  I have been schlepping her to Cub games in San Francisco since 1959, and regular season games in Oakland and Chicago.  And even to Spring training games in Mesa, Scotsdale and Phoenix.  She was glued to her seat in front of the television while I was pacing the floor, swearing and muttering.  With the last out she was applauding loudly while I sat there, unbelieving.  The least I can do is to be enthusiastic about her Warriors.
We even went to season openers in Tokyo against the Mets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 05, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
Not everyone is happy.

Someone needs to sit him down and make him watch video of him trying to throw runners out, right before telling him he's been traded to Minnesota.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2016, 01:33:02 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 06, 2016, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 05, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
Not everyone is happy.

Someone needs to sit him down and make him watch video of him trying to throw runners out, right before telling him he's been traded to Minnesota.

That video could also include footage of David Ross, Bodie and Schwarber out-hitting him by, like, 100, 200 and 300 points of OPS respectively.  Maybe also a clip of his being out-oWARed by Arrieta and LaStella.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.