News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!  ( 37,986 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2017, 08:15:59 AM »
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on February 03, 2017, 02:25:09 AM
What % of these reclamation projects turn into gold for the Cubs? Or at least good enough to be traded for big upgrades, Theo/Jed haven't missed on much in this category, and most have somehow turned platinum in some way from either Arrieta beign a stud or these 1st-half wonders turned into major prospects. There's also a reason we call Bosio the Wizard as under his watch we've turned people into studs.

I think that, in a lifetime, turning one turd into Jake Arrieta is about the best anyone team could ever possibly hope for.  I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I'm not exactly counting on anything coming from Eddie Butler.

If he turns into a useful #4, that would be a major win.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 03, 2017, 08:15:59 AM
What % of these reclamation projects turn into gold for the Cubs? Or at least good enough to be traded for big upgrades, Theo/Jed haven't missed on much in this category, and most have somehow turned platinum in some way from either Arrieta beign a stud or these 1st-half wonders turned into major prospects. There's also a reason we call Bosio the Wizard as under his watch we've turned people into studs.

I think that, in a lifetime, turning one turd into Jake Arrieta is about the best anyone team could ever possibly hope for.  I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I'm not exactly counting on anything coming from Eddie Butler.

Even outside of Jake, they're gotten decent to very good "unexpected" value (in performance and/or return) from:
Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Wood (he's certainly been better than Marshall)
Rondon
Cahill

I'm sure they're are more.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 03, 2017, 10:16:36 AM

Even outside of Jake, they're gotten decent to very good "unexpected" value (in performance and/or return) from:
Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

The whole they're are? To be fair to Marshall, it's easy to be better than someone who's been hurt pretty much this whole time.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »

I'm really hoping this doesn't mean Montgomery is going to sit in the pen all year. Because I've been fapping at the thought of his carrying last year's 58% GB rate for 6-7 innings at a time all winter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2017, 03:39:53 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 03, 2017, 11:06:16 AM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

The whole they're are? To be fair to Marshall, it's easy to be better than someone who's been hurt pretty much this whole time.

I'd say Wood-for-Marshall is hardly "certainly" in Wood's favor.  Marshall was an All-Star reliever for a competitive contender.  Wood was an All-Star for a shitty team and a useful, contributing factor to a World Championship.  I'd say that one's a wash, on balance.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on February 03, 2017, 03:39:53 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

I'd say Wood-for-Marshall is hardly "certainly" in Wood's favor.  Marshall was an All-Star reliever for a competitive contender.  Wood was an All-Star for a shitty team and a useful, contributing factor to a World Championship.  I'd say that one's a wash, on balance.

The trade was a win for the Cubs because they traded a lefty reliever they didn't need right then for a lefty reliever whose prime years would coincide with when they were actually good again, but whether that means Wood provided more or less value than expected, I dunno. He's given the Cubs almost 700 innings of exactly league average pitching (99 ERA+), which is more or less what I think people figured he might be when they got him. A league average left handed pitcher who might be more than average as a LOOGY on a contender someday. I don't know if he counts as a feather in Bosio's cap or not.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2017, 03:51:20 PM

I think that, in a lifetime, turning one turd into Jake Arrieta is about the best anyone team could ever possibly hope for.  I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I'm not exactly counting on anything coming from Eddie Butler.

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

I'd say Wood-for-Marshall is hardly "certainly" in Wood's favor.  Marshall was an All-Star reliever for a competitive contender.  Wood was an All-Star for a shitty team and a useful, contributing factor to a World Championship.  I'd say that one's a wash, on balance.

The trade was a win for the Cubs because they traded a lefty reliever they didn't need right then for a lefty reliever whose prime years would coincide with when they were actually good again, but whether that means Wood provided more or less value than expected, I dunno. He's given the Cubs almost 700 innings of exactly league average pitching (99 ERA+), which is more or less what I think people figured he might be when they got him. A league average left handed pitcher who might be more than average as a LOOGY on a contender someday. I don't know if he counts as a feather in Bosio's cap or not.

Yeah that's a good point.  Also, I guess the Cubs winning the World Series with a seasoned Wood is a win over the Reds dealing a raw Wood for an in-his-prime SeanBearPig but winning bupkus.  

I enjoy having these conversations, by the way, because they involve the factual words "Cubs winning the World Series"
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on February 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM

I think that, in a lifetime, turning one turd into Jake Arrieta is about the best anyone team could ever possibly hope for.  I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I'm not exactly counting on anything coming from Eddie Butler.

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

I'd say Wood-for-Marshall is hardly "certainly" in Wood's favor.  Marshall was an All-Star reliever for a competitive contender.  Wood was an All-Star for a shitty team and a useful, contributing factor to a World Championship.  I'd say that one's a wash, on balance.

Yeah that's a good point.  Also, I guess the Cubs winning the World Series with a seasoned Wood is a win over the Reds dealing a raw Wood for an in-his-prime SeanBearPig but winning bupkus.  

I enjoy having these conversations, by the way, because they involve the factual words "Cubs winning the World Series"

There was certainly some hand-wringing when Marshall was traded for Wood. 
Wood doesn't qualify as a reclamation project, but he's certainly been far more valuable to the Cubs than Marshall has been to the Reds.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 03, 2017, 03:08:02 PM

I'm really hoping this doesn't mean Montgomery is going to sit in the pen all year. Because I've been fapping at the thought of his carrying last year's 58% GB rate for 6-7 innings at a time all winter.

In reverse order and excluding last year's 11 innings, Anderson's GB% has been 66.3, 61.0, 62.9, and 59.8.

And only one of those is more than 50 IP (180 in 2015_, so Montgomery should get plenty of opportunities.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 03, 2017, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on February 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

There was certainly some hand-wringing when Marshall was traded for Wood. 
Wood doesn't qualify as a reclamation project, but he's certainly been far more valuable to the Cubs than Marshall has been to the Reds.

Yea, and that trade gave us "Epstink is Terrible" so it depends on how you feel about that contribution

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

Flags fly forever.  Wood is awesome and a much better hitter than Marshall.  Marshall wasn't even that cool.  Forget about Marshall, would ya?  Wood.  Wood for the win.  Geez.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »
Quote from: JD on February 03, 2017, 07:56:40 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

Flags fly forever.  Wood is awesome and a much better hitter than Marshall.  Marshall wasn't even that cool.  Forget about Marshall, would ya?  Wood.  Wood for the win.  Geez.

Hey, JD.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2017, 08:36:55 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

Hey, JD.

Sup, bro.  You hear that Pen is messing with the setting in the fantasy baseball league? 

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
Quote from: JD on February 03, 2017, 09:59:42 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

Hey, JD.

Sup, bro.  You hear that Pen is messing with the setting in the fantasy baseball league? 
He's making fantasy baseball great again.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on February 03, 2017, 10:56:56 PM
Quote from: JD on February 03, 2017, 09:59:42 PM

Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Rondon
Cahill

Hey, JD.

He's making fantasy baseball great again.

Not my commissioner!