News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!  ( 37,985 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
Quote from: JD on February 04, 2017, 10:47:44 AM
Quote from: Shooter on February 03, 2017, 10:56:56 PM
Quote from: JD on February 03, 2017, 09:59:42 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2017, 08:36:55 PM
Quote from: JD on February 03, 2017, 07:56:40 PM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on February 03, 2017, 03:39:53 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 03, 2017, 11:06:16 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 03, 2017, 10:16:36 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 03, 2017, 08:15:59 AM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on February 03, 2017, 02:25:09 AM
What % of these reclamation projects turn into gold for the Cubs? Or at least good enough to be traded for big upgrades, Theo/Jed haven't missed on much in this category, and most have somehow turned platinum in some way from either Arrieta beign a stud or these 1st-half wonders turned into major prospects. There's also a reason we call Bosio the Wizard as under his watch we've turned people into studs.

I think that, in a lifetime, turning one turd into Jake Arrieta is about the best anyone team could ever possibly hope for.  I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I'm not exactly counting on anything coming from Eddie Butler.

If he turns into a useful #4, that would be a major win.

Even outside of Jake, they're gotten decent to very good "unexpected" value (in performance and/or return) from:
Hammel
Strop
Feldman
Wood (he's certainly been better than Marshall)
Rondon
Cahill

I'm sure they're are more.

The whole they're are? To be fair to Marshall, it's easy to be better than someone who's been hurt pretty much this whole time.

I'd say Wood-for-Marshall is hardly "certainly" in Wood's favor.  Marshall was an All-Star reliever for a competitive contender.  Wood was an All-Star for a shitty team and a useful, contributing factor to a World Championship.  I'd say that one's a wash, on balance.

Flags fly forever.  Wood is awesome and a much better hitter than Marshall.  Marshall wasn't even that cool.  Forget about Marshall, would ya?  Wood.  Wood for the win.  Geez.

Hey, JD.

Sup, bro.  You hear that Pen is messing with the setting in the fantasy baseball league? 
He's making fantasy baseball great again.

Not my commissioner!

Just wait for CT's next character, a power-hungry fantasy baseball commissioner who goes on 5AM tweet storms. Sad!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Some people are mad PECOTA "only" projects the Cubs for 91 wins, but it's usually pretty conservative (other than the annual tongue bath it gives the Dodgers) and last year projected them for only 92 if I remember correctly. Anyways, the important thing is it projects them well ahead of the Cardinals, who are complete garbage: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

If the Cardinals really finish fourth I will count this season as a massive success even if the Cubs get wiped in the NLDS.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 07, 2017, 03:47:16 PM
If the Cardinals really finish fourth I will count this season as a massive success even if the Cubs get wiped in the NLDS.

Same projected record as the White Sox, which should terrify CARDINALS NATION.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »
Some people are mad PECOTA "only" projects the Cubs for 91 wins, but it's usually pretty conservative (other than the annual tongue bath it gives the Dodgers) and last year projected them for only 92 if I remember correctly. Anyways, the important thing is it projects them well ahead of the Cardinals, who are complete garbage: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

I was more asshurt about the Dodgers sitting at 98, cause the team I love is the greatest team in the world and I don't need no computer telling me otherwise.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 07, 2017, 05:53:55 PM

I was more asshurt about the Dodgers sitting at 98, cause the team I love is the greatest team in the world and I don't need no computer telling me otherwise.

Yeah I am not a BP member so I can't see the Dodgers depth chart page but I really wonder how they decided on that projection for LA. The Cubs have a better position player group for sure, so I'm guessing they just really, really love the Dodgers pitching, but I question how many innings they think Rich Hill will actually manage at last year's pace.

But, again, BP projected the Dodgers as the best team in baseball last year, too. Their metrics just really love that pitching staff.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 08, 2017, 08:08:02 AM

Yeah I am not a BP member so I can't see the Dodgers depth chart page but I really wonder how they decided on that projection for LA. The Cubs have a better position player group for sure, so I'm guessing they just really, really love the Dodgers pitching, but I question how many innings they think Rich Hill will actually manage at last year's pace.

But, again, BP projected the Dodgers as the best team in baseball last year, too. Their metrics just really love that pitching staff.

Let's also swee how healthy Kershaw is. Bad backs on power pitchers tend to not work out well.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 08, 2017, 11:30:57 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 08, 2017, 08:08:02 AM

Let's also swee how healthy Kershaw is. Bad backs on power pitchers tend to not work out well.

I have no problem with PECOTA saying "Dodgers are going to be good again." They definitely are, and they have the prospects and cash to throw at any problems that arise just like they have the last few years. If they were to meet the Cubs in the NLCS again and even win this time I am not going to be surprised. I just am more curious as to what the formula sees that makes them 5 games better than every other team.

For instance, fangraphs likes the Dodgers slightly more than the Cubs, too, but it's much closer. They project the Dodgers to win 95 games with a 129 run differential and the Cubs to win 94 with a 120. They like the Cubs offense more, but favor the Dodgers pitching. I can see why pitching projections based largely on FIP and stuff would like the Kershaw/Hill duo more than what the Cubs have, and I share PECOTA's concerns that Lackey is about to fall off a cliff. He was pretty shitty late last year. That I can buy.

What I don't get is how PECOTA somehow thinks the Dodgers will have a better offense and a better defense than the Cubs. I just don't see that happening at all.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
The Cubs sent Donny Dewees to Kansas City for Alec Mills, who was DFAed to make room for Hammel.

The Cubs are certainly not being timid about loading up on pitching projects.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 08, 2017, 07:51:51 PM
The Cubs sent Donny Dewees to Kansas City for Alec Mills, who was DFAed to make room for Hammel.

And Brian Wilson's trying to come back as a knuckleballer...

On Dewees. The latest prospect prognostications said his absolute best case scenario is to become a younger Ben Revere, so this trade sounds about right.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 08, 2017, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 08, 2017, 07:51:51 PM

And Brian Wilson's trying to come back as a knuckleballer...

On Dewees. The latest prospect prognostications said his absolute best case scenario is to become a younger Ben Revere, so this trade sounds about right.

To no one's surprise, I'm a little sad about them trading Donnie Dewees. 

He was probably never going to break through as the future leadoff hitter I was hoping, but I enjoyed his season of 90 triples last year.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »

Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo is a brutal top of the order for opposing pitchers.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 23, 2017, 01:08:31 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Zobrist come up for his first AB in several games this season with the Cubs already up 3-0 with nobody out.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

He also said he's probably going back to pitcher batting 8th with Almora/Jay batting 9th.  

VS RHP: Schwarber LF/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Zobrist 2B/Contreras C/Heyward RF/Russell SS/Pitcher/Jay CF
VS LHP: Zobrist LF/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Baez 2B/Contreras C/Russell SS/Heyward RF/Pitcher/Almora CF

If Heyward hits like his career averages instead of last year that's still one hell of a lineup, and I'd bet there'll be quite a few days where they stick Heyward in CF and either Zobrist or Bryant in a corner so Javy can play.

I'm beginning to think these Cubs might be kinda good this year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
I also think Russell is going to have a huge year. Between his rookie year and last year he cut his K rate from 28.5% to 22.6%, upped his walk rate, and raised his ISO 32 points. About all that kept him from having an excellent season last year was a BABIP that was almost 50 points lower than what he had as a rookie and well below the BABIPs he managed in the minors. I'm throwing down my romeo on a 5 win season for Addy.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 23, 2017, 01:20:46 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Zobrist come up for his first AB in several games this season with the Cubs already up 3-0 with nobody out.

Several times? I would