News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!  ( 37,958 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2017, 11:58:32 AM
Also I do find it weird that Ricketts gave WS rings to basically all living 69 Cubs (and two dead ones), Jody Davis, Bob Dernier, Scott Sanderson, Ryne Sandberg, and Jose Cardenal, but Dunston/Grace didn't get any. If he was just handing out rings like candy to ex-fan favorites I'd think those two would be on the list. Sammy of course gets the shaft but I wasn't aware of any fall out between current Cubs ownership and Grace.

Don't Dunston and Grace work for other organizations?  I'm not drawing any conclusions but maybe there's somewhere that says he couldn't? I don't know.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 05, 2017, 02:34:16 PM
Also I do find it weird that Ricketts gave WS rings to basically all living 69 Cubs (and two dead ones), Jody Davis, Bob Dernier, Scott Sanderson, Ryne Sandberg, and Jose Cardenal, but Dunston/Grace didn't get any. If he was just handing out rings like candy to ex-fan favorites I'd think those two would be on the list. Sammy of course gets the shaft but I wasn't aware of any fall out between current Cubs ownership and Grace.

Don't Dunston and Grace work for other organizations?  I'm not drawing any conclusions but maybe there's somewhere that says he couldn't? I don't know.

Oh that would make sense, Dunston I believe is a coach somewhere in the Giants org, but I believe the D-Backs just fired Grace as their hitting coach.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2017, 02:45:17 PM

Oh that would make sense, Dunston I believe is a coach somewhere in the Giants org, but I believe the D-Backs just fired Grace as their hitting coach.

Grace won a ring in 2001 and do you remember the first words he said? His asshurt focused on being let go by the Cubs.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2017, 02:45:17 PM

He does Dbags pre- and postgame TV.

And one of the characters in the between-innings mascot race is "Gracie."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Brett Anderson, your firebarn is ready.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 07, 2017, 09:10:44 AM
Brett Anderson, your firebarn is ready.

Ahem.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »
Joe West is just a fucking piece of shit.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on May 07, 2017, 11:15:44 PM
Joe West is just a fucking piece of shit.

Evergreen post.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »
I feel like basically no part of the team has been consistently good outside of Kris Bryant, Wade Davis, and Carl Edwards, and they're still over .500. Unless you just think Arrieta, Schwarber, Contreras, Russell, and Zobrist all suck now and aren't just in prolonged slumps you'd think a positive run is coming. I don't know. It's always amplified when it is the beginning of the season and you have no other sample to compare it to but this feels like a lot hand-wringing in the media and from people over a 16-15 stretch, when basically every team in baseball will have a 16-15 stretch at some point.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 09, 2017, 07:59:23 AM
I feel like basically no part of the team has been consistently good outside of Kris Bryant, Wade Davis, and Carl Edwards, and they're still over .500. Unless you just think Arrieta, Schwarber, Contreras, Russell, and Zobrist all suck now and aren't just in prolonged slumps you'd think a positive run is coming. I don't know. It's always amplified when it is the beginning of the season and you have no other sample to compare it to but this feels like a lot hand-wringing in the media and from people over a 16-15 stretch, when basically every team in baseball will have a 16-15 stretch at some point.

There is a huge correction coming.

Hendricks has pulled it together. Lester is getting there too.

I think fairly soon we're going to see the run that separates the Cubs from the rest of the NL Central.
TIME TO POST!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »

Maybe I'm too much of a bullshit tolerator but I'd add Almora, Jay, Miggy and Rondon to the good side of the ledger over these first 31 games. Which even if you allow that, to your point 2/3 of the roster has ranged from not good to pretty bad. Compare where the Cubs are at to the early holes the Blue Jays, Royals and Rangers have dug for themselves and it could be much worse.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 09, 2017, 09:37:49 AM

Maybe I'm too much of a bullshit tolerator but I'd add Almora, Jay, Miggy and Rondon to the good side of the ledger over these first 31 games. Which even if you allow that, to your point 2/3 of the roster has ranged from not good to pretty bad. Compare where the Cubs are at to the early holes the Blue Jays, Royals and Rangers have dug for themselves and it could be much worse.

I think the Cubs have really just been so dominant going back to the All Star Break of 2015 (I think they went 50-25 in their last 75 that year) that people have really forgotten that you can have an underwhelming stretch of baseball and be fine. Even the 5-15 stretch last year when the sky felt like it was falling was quickly forgotten because they had built up such a lead before it happened and then they went on another absurdly hot stretch right after it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 09, 2017, 09:37:49 AM

Uehara's WHIP is right around 1. He's been solid.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
It's good that yesterday's rainout made sure they're well-rested for the next asskicking!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 09, 2017, 02:54:21 PM
It's good that yesterday's rainout made sure they're well-rested for the next asskicking!

I don't mean to insult you by making the comparison, but your post did remind me that I never found how Fro reacted to the Cubs finally winning the world series. Does anyone know? Did he try to pretend that he never jumped ship and gave up on them forever?