News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Offseason Thread  ( 13,094 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 MLB Offseason Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2016, 12:23:18 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 06, 2016, 10:56:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 06, 2016, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 06, 2016, 07:28:24 PM
Jeff Passan: Cubs close to acquiring KC's Wade Davis. No return mentioned yet.

I still want Kenley, too.

Soler for Davis has been discussed a lot. Cubs Twitter is mad because I guess Jorge's second consecutive  sub-1 WAR season makes him too valuable to deal for one of the game's best closers

Please, God/Theo. Give me Wade and Kenley. I will be so happy.

Is this a thing, or is this like the time Chuck thought the Cubs should get both Theo and Andrew Friedman?

Or the time he thought they should get Lester and Scherzer
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 07, 2016, 12:38:54 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 07, 2016, 12:23:18 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 06, 2016, 10:56:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 06, 2016, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 06, 2016, 07:28:24 PM
Jeff Passan: Cubs close to acquiring KC's Wade Davis. No return mentioned yet.

I still want Kenley, too.

Soler for Davis has been discussed a lot. Cubs Twitter is mad because I guess Jorge's second consecutive  sub-1 WAR season makes him too valuable to deal for one of the game's best closers

Please, God/Theo. Give me Wade and Kenley. I will be so happy.

Is this a thing, or is this like the time Chuck thought the Cubs should get both Theo and Andrew Friedman?

I'm just a fan of Kenley and would like to see a Bullpen of Death at the ends of games.

Oh, same. Just wasn't sure if there was some rumor I'd missed.

Although if they're going to spend that much money on a free agent, I'd rather they just keep Dexter.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
I want the Cubs to get every good player, even if it means that Iowa, and Tennessee and Myrtle Beach become juggernauts that could win the NL East by 15 games. And then every shitty player can play on the other 29 clubs. Then I will be satisfied.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 07, 2016, 01:34:44 PM
I want the Cubs to get every good player, even if it means that Iowa, and Tennessee and Myrtle Beach become juggernauts that could win the NL East by 15 games. And then every shitty player can play on the other 29 clubs. Then I will be satisfied.

Someone needs Santa to get here very soon.

Why is Satan an anagram of Santa?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 07, 2016, 01:53:53 PM
Quote from: Brownie on December 07, 2016, 01:34:44 PM

Someone needs Santa to get here very soon.

Why is Satan an anagram of Santa?

Because Santa is actually God, or something.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
Perfect time to swoop in on Kenley. No one should sign with Miami ever for as long as Loria owns them.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »
Reports indicate Kenley Jansen is returning to the Dodgers for 5 years, $80MM. Guess he won't need to pick a new walkout song.

(He comes out to Tupac's "California Love," if you weren't aware.)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 12, 2016, 12:59:35 PM
Reports indicate Kenley Jansen is returning to the Dodgers for 5 years, $80MM. Guess he won't need to pick a new walkout song.

(He comes out to Tupac's "California Love," if you weren't aware.)

Ya mean the track that hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest?

I'm aware like a fuckin' pimp.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2016, 12:21:16 AM »
Shocker: As usual, Mathyoo Trooblud thinks nay, knows he would be better at professional baseball decisionmakers' jobs than they are.  Theo won a World Series?  Isn't that cute.  Mathyoo would have won five.

QuoteMore importantly, because the Cardinals have locked up Fowler for long enough to ensure that he'll slow down before they're done paying him, he isn't going to be without value when he does need to move out of center field. His improved power and tremendous approach have made sure of that. Looking at the body type and considering the way it moves, it's not hard to imagine Fowler being an excellent first baseman in his mid-30s, and unless the strikeout rate keeps climbing, he could bear the offensive burden of that position.

St. Louis' prospective lineup for 2017:

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

That's a bit less sexy than the Cubs' projected lineup, and quite a bit older, and loaded with a fair amount of injury risk, and an inferior defensive group. That said, it's reasonably close to being as good as Chicago's, and is on par with the lineups of the Nationals, Pirates, and Dodgers, among other solid NL contenders. Fowler will cost the team about the same amount each season as the Cubs have paid to add Wade Davis, Koji Uehara, and Brian Duensing to their bullpen mix. The Cubs could have spent their money better by re-signing Fowler, and the Cardinals are right back in the thick of the NL Central race because they were wise enough to make a splash.

1. Fowler costs the same per season as Davis, Uehara, Duensing.
2. Davis, Uehara, Duensing are only signed for one year.
3. The Cubs should have signed Fowler for five years for that money, even though they already have a first baseman signed through the same five-year period who's better than Dexter Fowler for a lot less money and even though their outfield is already overcrowded and even though they have a young centerfield prospect to develop, because reasons.

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2016, 01:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 15, 2016, 12:21:16 AM
Shocker: As usual, Mathyoo Trooblud thinks nay, knows he would be better at professional baseball decisionmakers' jobs than they are.  Theo won a World Series?  Isn't that cute.  Mathyoo would have won five.

QuoteMore importantly, because the Cardinals have locked up Fowler for long enough to ensure that he'll slow down before they're done paying him, he isn't going to be without value when he does need to move out of center field. His improved power and tremendous approach have made sure of that. Looking at the body type and considering the way it moves, it's not hard to imagine Fowler being an excellent first baseman in his mid-30s, and unless the strikeout rate keeps climbing, he could bear the offensive burden of that position.

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

That's a bit less sexy than the Cubs' projected lineup, and quite a bit older, and loaded with a fair amount of injury risk, and an inferior defensive group. That said, it's reasonably close to being as good as Chicago's, and is on par with the lineups of the Nationals, Pirates, and Dodgers, among other solid NL contenders. Fowler will cost the team about the same amount each season as the Cubs have paid to add Wade Davis, Koji Uehara, and Brian Duensing to their bullpen mix. The Cubs could have spent their money better by re-signing Fowler, and the Cardinals are right back in the thick of the NL Central race because they were wise enough to make a splash.

3. The Cubs should have signed Fowler for five years for that money, even though they already have a first baseman signed through the same five-year period who's better than Dexter Fowler for a lot less money and even though their outfield is already overcrowded and even though they have a young centerfield prospect to develop, because reasons.

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

You'll be sorry when Fowler posts the 17 WAR that will get the Cardinals even with the Cubs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

That's a bit less sexy than the Cubs' projected lineup, and quite a bit older, and loaded with a fair amount of injury risk, and an inferior defensive group. That said, it's reasonably close to being as good as Chicago's

I mean yeah, other than being older and injury prone and worse in every way, it is comparable to Chicago's. But what can you expect from the guy writing "Maybe Steven Piscotty is better than Kris Bryant?" articles back in May.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2016, 07:33:48 AM

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

That's a bit less sexy than the Cubs' projected lineup, and quite a bit older, and loaded with a fair amount of injury risk, and an inferior defensive group. That said, it's reasonably close to being as good as Chicago's

I mean yeah, other than being older and injury prone and worse in every way, it is comparable to Chicago's. But what can you expect from the guy writing "Maybe Steven Piscotty is better than Kris Bryant?" articles back in May.

Yeah that's the sentence that stood out for me (Fowler at 1B strikes me as being deliberately provocative so I'll let it go as such).

I don't know what the logical fallacy is called for saying "well this this and this is why one outcome is likely, but it's reasonable to conclude that this opposite outcome will happen" with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BACK UP THE OTHER OUTCOME but this idiot had nailed it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on December 15, 2016, 09:33:32 AM

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

Yeah that's the sentence that stood out for me (Fowler at 1B strikes me as being deliberately provocative so I'll let it go as such).

I don't know what the logical fallacy is called for saying "well this this and this is why one outcome is likely, but it's reasonable to conclude that this opposite outcome will happen" with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BACK UP THE OTHER OUTCOME but this idiot had nailed it.

Deliberately provocative or not, saying it's "not hard" to imagine a guy with a career slugging % of .422 aging into an excellent first baseman in his mid-30s, when his already-not-substantial power is well into the decline phase is just fucking nonsensical garbage. I mean, sure, a tall, athletic dude like Dexter used to playing CF could totally be an excellent defensive first baseman but top notch defense at the least important defensive position on the field doesn't add up to dick if you can't hit you can't hit for any power there.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2016, 09:38:41 AM

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

Deliberately provocative or not, saying it's "not hard" to imagine a guy with a career slugging % of .422 aging into an excellent first baseman in his mid-30s, when his already-not-substantial power is well into the decline phase is just fucking nonsensical garbage.

Not defending this Mouthbreather, mind you, but hasn't Fowler's HR #'s gone up?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on December 15, 2016, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2016, 09:38:41 AM

Dexter Fowler - CF
Matt Carpenter - 1B
Aledmys Diaz - SS
Stephen Piscotty - RF
Yadier Molina - C
Randal Grichuk - LF
Jhonny Peralta - 3B
Kolten Wong - 2B

Suck it, Theo.  QED.

Deliberately provocative or not, saying it's "not hard" to imagine a guy with a career slugging % of .422 aging into an excellent first baseman in his mid-30s, when his already-not-substantial power is well into the decline phase is just fucking nonsensical garbage.

Not defending this Mouthbreather, mind you, but hasn't Fowler's HR #'s gone up?

He hit 17 in 2015, which was a career high, but he also hit fewer doubles and triples moving to a smaller park, so he slugged below his career norm anyway (.411 to .422), and then this year he went back down to 13, which is basically what he's averaged (12.6) over the last 5 years. He's extremely unlikely to add more power from here on out.