News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lawyers, call your offices  ( 1,517 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Lawyers, call your offices
« on: October 02, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
A new watering spot is opening just north of the new hotel. And, I wonder what employee #44 of the enterprise across the street things. Tony Ballgame takes good care of his image, so is he concerned at all by the spot now known as "Rizzo's?"

The webpage is just a shell right now, so let's head to the Facebook page

Rizzo's "Since 1946?" Huh?

Ah, here's the backstory...

QuoteThe Rizzo Family has a long history in the Chicago dating back to 1946 at a time when Wrigleyville was unrecognizable from the Wrigley that we all know and love today.

Our Family business began with Vincent Angelo Rizzo, the son of Vincent Rizzo; an Italian immigrant from Sicily. Cubs Park Service Station (CPSS) started as a Mobile Oil Gas Station with an adjoining Auto Repair Shop & Car Wash. As the community around Lakeview developed, so did our business. CPSS began parking for Cubs & Bears games for fans & players alike. Legends like Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Glen Beckert, Dallas Green, Fergie Jenkins, Joe Amalfitano, Bob Will, Jim Fry & Lou Canela were not just regulars, they were friends. This turned the neighborhood parking lot into a hangout for the Rizzo's and their constituency. Cousins, uncles and friends all worked at the lot throughout the course of 4 generations.

Our family has worked from the ground up to open Rizzo's Bar & Inn. The restaurant pays homage to the history of Wrigleyville through the eyes of the family. We invite you to follow our journey through featured photographic memoirs, classic ballpark fare and Rizzo family recipes, as well as an old fashioned standard of service that will stand apart as a neighborhood institution.

Jim Fry? Reminds me of Jim Frey. But who the hell is Lou Canela?

This guy?

At any rate, I know it's the family name, blah blah blah, but it's clear to me that they are trying to capitalize on Anthony Rizzo's fame.  Even though the family is the "Rizzo family," would Anthony Rizzo have a claim against them for not spelling out that the restaurant is not affiliated with him in any way? I recall Lakers Kareem Abdul Jabbar sued fellow UCLA alum and Dolphin Karim Abdul-Jabbar for wearing #33 and having the same name.  Not sure about the outcome of the case. Thoughts?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Lawyers, call your offices
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:17:15 AM »
https://deadspin.com/150281/whatever-happened-to-
Quoteareem sued Karim for "sponging" off his name — the young Karim had been given the name after converting to Islam in 1995 — and was successful, forcing Karim to use "Abdul" on the back of his jersey. Eventually he changed his name to Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar; meanwhile, the elder Kareem still has his prescription for medicinal marijuana, which is a terrible fat-burning regimen.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 02, 2017, 12:17:15 AM
Quoteareem sued Karim for "sponging" off his name — the young Karim had been given the name after converting to Islam in 1995 — and was successful, forcing Karim to use "Abdul" on the back of his jersey. Eventually he changed his name to Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar; meanwhile, the elder Kareem still has his prescription for medicinal marijuana, which is a terrible fat-burning regimen.

Rizzo's is toast.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:52 AM »
My office wants to know why I'm calling, what should I tell them
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 02, 2017, 02:33:52 AM

Intrepid reader: Gil Gunderson

I wish I could call my office.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »

Tell them this: Dodgers Suck. Then giggle and hang up the phone.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »

I can't find the link but back in the 80s, I swear that there was a lawsuit brought on by the estate of Ray Dolby, the surround sound dude, against Thomas Dolby, that She Blinded Me With Science dude.  I know this because when I was a pre-teen I thought hey were the same person.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »
I can't wait until the Cubs pick up Ivan Nova.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 02, 2017, 08:40:50 AM

Tell them this: Dodgers Suck. Then giggle and hang up the phone.

Done and done.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 02, 2017, 12:57:57 AM

Rizzo's is toast.
I don't know about that.  It depends on Illinois precedents.  If Rizzo is legitimately the family name I don't think that another Rizzo, even a famous one, could stop them from using their own name in many jurisdictions.  But in Chicago?  I won't even hazard a guess.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 02, 2017, 12:16:38 PM

Rizzo's is toast.
I don't know about that.  It depends on Illinois precedents.  If Rizzo is legitimately the family name I don't think that another Rizzo, even a famous one, could stop them from using their own name in many jurisdictions.  But in Chicago?  I won't even hazard a guess.

More importantly, does Anthony Rizzo even care?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 02, 2017, 12:16:38 PM

Rizzo's is toast.

Small Town Fends Off An Attack By Big Mac

The giant McDonald's Corp., with more than twice as many U.S. franchises as Fairbury has people, suffered a rare defeat here when it went up against the locally owned McDonald's just down the street.

"Most of our customers tried it once and never went back. They say they don't miss it and they are glad we won out," said Ron McDonald, whose wife, Sue, helps run the 240-seat restaurant specializing in broasted chicken and other Midwestern fare, as well as cocktails and beer.

The easy-going McDonald is not the sort to gloat over another's misfortune, but he could be forgiven for doing a victory jig over the demise of the Fairbury Mcfranchise. In one way or another, the global fast-food chain based in Oak Brook has been nagging him and his family place for 26 years.

Earl and Dorothy McDonald, Ron McDonald's parents, opened their Fairbury sit-down restaurant in 1956 in a rented, white-frame building on U.S. Highway 24, which is Fairbury's main drag. They had been in business 14 years, remodeling several times and expanding, when the first ominous letter arrived from the other McDonald's.

"It warned us about ever using arches or going to a drive-in format, and it kind of scared my folks, but they didn't think there was anything they could do about it," said Ron McDonald, 56, who received his name long before it was claimed by the corporate clown.

Over the years, the McDonald family of restaurateurs has received 33 more letters and several phone calls from the fast-food giant, each meant to strongly remind them of the McDonald's corporation's determination to protect its trademark and copyrights.

"I've kept them all in a file," noted the dutiful Ron McDonald.

It wasn't until four years ago, however, that the real Big Mac attack was launched.