News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

Which one?

Montero G1 NLCS 2016
Schwarber NLDS G4 2015
Bryant G5 WS 2016
Russell G6 WS 2016
Fowler G7 WS 2016
Baez G7 WS 2016
Ross G7 WS 2017
Russell G4 NLCS 2016
Baez G1 NLDS 2016
Fork

Author Topic: Biggest Homer in Cubs History  ( 3,135 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Biggest Homer in Cubs History
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
Joe Tinker also wants a word with SKO and Miggy.

1908 World Series, Game 2 at the West Side Grounds. Bill Donovan and Orval Overall are matching each other pitch for pitch into the bottom of the 8th. With the game still scoreless, Harry Steinfeldt leads off the bottom of the 8th and strikes out. Solly Hoffman singles, bringing up Joe Tinker, who blasts an opposite-field two-run jack to give the Cubs the lead. The Cubs erupt for 4 more in the eighth, and the Tigers score one run on a Ty Cobb RBI single. Had Tinker made an out instead of homering, the Cubs likely do not score in the eighth, and maybe Donovan or the Tigers 1908 version of Willie Hernandez closes it to even the series. Detroit won Game 3, so the Tigers would have had a 2-1 series lead, and the all-important momentum on their side. They might have won the World Series and the Ricketts would have had to have put one more diamond on the rings and give out one more for symmetry's sake.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2017, 10:43:14 AM
How about this one?

Cubs are getting totally demoralized by the Indians and Andrew Miller is doing a lot of the demoralizing.

His postseason ERA prior to the Dexter Fowler at-bat: 0.0. His ERA from that AB on, 8.10.

A noteworthy homer, to be sure, as it was the first one hit in a World Series game by a Cub since Cavaretta did it in Game 1 in 1945  (the only HR for the Cubs in that Series), and the first one hit by a Cub at Wrigley Field in over 81 years (Chuck Klein, Game 4 in 1935 off Schoolboy Row).  It was about the only thing I could hang my hat on as an attendee at what was the worst game (for the Cubs) of the World Series (insert another hearty FUCK YOU to John Lackey here)
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on June 22, 2017, 10:59:27 AM
How about this one?

Cubs are getting totally demoralized by the Indians and Andrew Miller is doing a lot of the demoralizing.

His postseason ERA prior to the Dexter Fowler at-bat: 0.0. His ERA from that AB on, 8.10.

A noteworthy homer, to be sure, as it was the first one hit in a World Series game by a Cub since Cavaretta did it in Game 1 in 1945  (the only HR for the Cubs in that Series), and the first one hit by a Cub at Wrigley Field in over 81 years (Chuck Klein, Game 4 in 1935 off Schoolboy Row).  It was about the only thing I could hang my hat on as an attendee at what was the worst game (for the Cubs) of the World Series (insert another hearty FUCK YOU to John Lackey here)

Was it Eff-you John Lackey or PUT ON A GODDAMN SHIRT AND CUT YOUR HAIR YOU REDNECK TRAVIS WOOD OR GO TO THE KANSAS CITY ROYALS AND SUCK THERE IN OBSCURITY?  The 3-run homer by Kipnis off Wood put the game out of reach. Had Fowler's HR made it 4-2, it would have maybe been a different story for the Clevelands.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2017, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on June 22, 2017, 10:59:27 AM
How about this one?

Was it Eff-you John Lackey or PUT ON A GODDAMN SHIRT AND CUT YOUR HAIR YOU REDNECK TRAVIS WOOD OR GO TO THE KANSAS CITY ROYALS AND SUCK THERE IN OBSCURITY?  The 3-run homer by Kipnis off Wood put the game out of reach. Had Fowler's HR made it 4-2, it would have maybe been a different story for the Clevelands.

No.  Lackey was signed because he supposedly had BIG GAME CAJONES and the Cubs staked him to a first-inning lead which he frittered away.  I'll grant that he had little help behind him that night--definitely the worst defensive game for the Cubs  in the Series-- but fuck him anyway.  Travis Wood stepped into Game 2 of the NLDS when Hendricks was knocked out with a line-drive, got the W and hit a HR and in any event don't TRY TO TAKE MY FOCUS OFF LACKEY TJ!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2017, 10:35:47 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on June 22, 2017, 08:40:39 AM
I would also add, just to balance the scales of history, Bob Dernier to lead of the 1984 NLCS--the Cubs' first trip to the postseason in 39 years--and of course Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin' in '38.

Gabby thinks what Miggy said was cute. He also knows a guy, in case Miggy or SKO care to forget about him.

I am going with Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin' " as the most memorable homerun in my lifetime.  Also, I think that this picture of Gabby and Scarface is worthy of a re-post.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »
Cubs history began in 2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 22, 2017, 05:47:57 PM

I'm okay with that.  So long Bobby D., Gabby, and Joe Tinker!

*cuts cord*

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:32:43 AM »

I mean, in terms of "greatest homers in Cubs history" there's "a bunch of homers that didn't help the Cubs win the world series, several of them before World War II" and then there's "homers that actually contributed to the Cubs winning the world series." As far as I'm concerned literally any of the latter will outrank the former.

If I was asking "greatest players in Cubs history" or whatever I'd obviously include older players, but for a singular Best Homer in Cubs History I'm gonna say it's gotta be one from the 2016 post-season at least. I included the Schwarbomb because I know a lot of people point to it as a very big symbolic moment, but I didn't vote for it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2017, 06:32:43 AM

I mean, in terms of "greatest homers in Cubs history" there's "a bunch of homers that didn't help the Cubs win the world series, several of them before World War II" and then there's "homers that actually contributed to the Cubs winning the world series." As far as I'm concerned literally any of the latter will outrank the former.

If I was asking "greatest players in Cubs history" or whatever I'd obviously include older players, but for a singular Best Homer in Cubs History I'm gonna say it's gotta be one from the 2016 post-season at least. I included the Schwarbomb because I know a lot of people point to it as a very big symbolic moment, but I didn't vote for it.

Hartnett's homer won the pennant and gave them a shot against the 1938 Yankees.

Joe Tinker hit a go ahead HR to give the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the World Series. They proceeded to win just 11 World Series games between that date and October 25, 2016.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 08:04:42 AM »
It was probably Ron Santo.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 23, 2017, 07:51:13 AM

Joe Tinker hit a go ahead HR to give the Cubs a 2-0 lead in the World Series. They proceeded to win just 11 World Series games between that date and October 25, 2016.

And they lost. Now I'm a little out there with this, but I daresay winning the world series>>not winning it.

Also, sorry, I am going to prioritize something happening in the modern, big money, televised, greatest-athletes-in-the-world-in-peak-condition era over something that happened when a bunch of drunk Irishmen and inveterate gamblers named Hoss were playing against only other white people.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

I know it doesn't qualify, but Hank Sauer having two separate 3HR games where all the dongs were off Curt Simmons is the balls.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2017, 08:16:59 AM

And they lost. Now I'm a little out there with this, but I daresay winning the world series>>not winning it.

Also, sorry, I am going to prioritize something happening in the modern, big money, televised, greatest-athletes-in-the-world-in-peak-condition era over something that happened when a bunch of drunk Irishmen and inveterate gamblers named Hoss were playing against only other white people.

Baseball should change the name of the Cy Young award every 20 years in order to prioritize each new modern era as well.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
Quote from: flannj on June 23, 2017, 08:29:44 AM

Baseball should change the name of the Cy Young award every 20 years in order to prioritize each new modern era as well.

I mean in general I count the "modern era" of baseball to be post-integration. If some Cub had hit a walkoff dinger in the 1955 World Series or something I would have included it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2017, 08:47:52 AM
Quote from: flannj on June 23, 2017, 08:29:44 AM

I mean in general I count the "modern era" of baseball to be post-integration. If some Cub had hit a walkoff dinger in the 1955 World Series or something I would have included it.

Handsome Ransom didn't join the Dodgers until 1956.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16