News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread  ( 6,758 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 05, 2017, 12:01:37 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 05, 2017, 11:51:55 AM

Long story short if the Cubs can get everyone back healthy in time for October, the Dodgers aren't even the juggernaut last year's Cubs were, and it still took everything they had to put away LA and Cleveland. REPEAT GONNA HAI*

*Proclamation not valid if Jon Lester still looks like warmed over dog shit, Jake is done, and Willson doesn't come back swinging. Or in Louisiana. Sorry IAN.

2nd half Lester has been fine and I know the first half Lester happened and all that but his ERA took a major hit in that Mets debacle.  And, I think we can write off his last start to the injury. I have faith that he's fine and will be fine.

Arrieta already says that he intends to make his next start and, even if the Cubs don't let him, I'm guessing he's fine.

Willson is running the bases and I know you said he needs to hit but I don't think there is anything in his past that says he won't.  I have no idea what Louisiana has to do with anything but i wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Sorry, IAN.  Not sorry.

Basically, take your non-committal to this team being anything other than amazing and shove it!

Fair enough. All I meant is I will absolutely take a healthy Cubs squad over the field again. I just need to see that health with my own eyes first. Honestly though anything after a division championship this year is gravy to me. You can't control October and they already got their ring so existential dread is gone regardless of what happens, I just didn't want them to end up in that graveyard of champions who failed to even make the playoffs/give Cardinals fans any reason to hope again. Plus not to go all TJ or Huey on us but wouldn't this be the first time the Cubs have made it to the postseason three straight years since the 1906-1908 run? I'd daresay that alone would be worth celebrating.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 05, 2017, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 05, 2017, 09:17:51 AM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Arrieta (knocks on wood)
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward
Bench: Zobrist, Happ, LaStella

Uehera may be pitching his way off the team and Wilson is maybe on the bubble, too, although i think the latter ends up turning his shit around and making it.  They really need him to so I think he'll get every available chance to earn it..

If Wilson's on, then that's 10, meaning there's room for at least 1 (maybe 2) more pitchers.  If they go with 2 more after that it'd probably be one from the following 2 groups: Grimm/Rondon and then Lackey/Uehara.  Though it'd be hilarious to see SKO utterly lose his shit if Lackey makes the roster, the truth is Uehara may be done and he's suddenly just as prone to give up a home run as Lackey.  Obviously, since this would be the 12th and final pitchers spot, the hope is that the person is not even needed but if it is, I could see them picking Lackey over Uehara since the former would have the ability to go several innings should a situation require it.

If they only go with 11 pitchers, and assuming Wilson is #10, then it'd be only one of those four (Grimm, Rondon, Uehara and Lackey).

If they do go with 11 pitchers, then that would open up 1 more spot on the bench and it would seem to come down to Rivera and Caratini.  In that case I'd prefer it be Caratini.  Carrying 3 catchers in the postseason is not common--last year's Cubs excepted and that's mainly because of the unusual situation with Ross--so the priority would be a bat and even though he's just a rookie, I'm fairly confident Caratini brings more potential on offense than Rivera.  That he would also serve as an emergency 3rd catcher would be nice insurance, but if he makes the roster, it's because they believe he can hit and I'd be okay with it.

Am I miscounting or is that only 22 players?

I think Wilson and Rondon or Uehara are sure bets.  If it's two of those 3, it leaves one spot.  I think they have plenty of bat on the bench...probably.  I'm guessing they go with a veteran catcher over Caratini.  Hopefully, whoever it is, isn't getting any major playing time in the playoffs anyway.

It is 22 players, which leaves 3 openings for Wilson/Rondon/Grimm/Uehara/Lackey/Bench Player to duke it out over.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 05, 2017, 12:29:48 PM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

Uehera may be pitching his way off the team and Wilson is maybe on the bubble, too, although i think the latter ends up turning his shit around and making it.  They really need him to so I think he'll get every available chance to earn it..

If Wilson's on, then that's 10, meaning there's room for at least 1 (maybe 2) more pitchers.  If they go with 2 more after that it'd probably be one from the following 2 groups: Grimm/Rondon and then Lackey/Uehara.  Though it'd be hilarious to see SKO utterly lose his shit if Lackey makes the roster, the truth is Uehara may be done and he's suddenly just as prone to give up a home run as Lackey.  Obviously, since this would be the 12th and final pitchers spot, the hope is that the person is not even needed but if it is, I could see them picking Lackey over Uehara since the former would have the ability to go several innings should a situation require it.

If they only go with 11 pitchers, and assuming Wilson is #10, then it'd be only one of those four (Grimm, Rondon, Uehara and Lackey).

If they do go with 11 pitchers, then that would open up 1 more spot on the bench and it would seem to come down to Rivera and Caratini.  In that case I'd prefer it be Caratini.  Carrying 3 catchers in the postseason is not common--last year's Cubs excepted and that's mainly because of the unusual situation with Ross--so the priority would be a bat and even though he's just a rookie, I'm fairly confident Caratini brings more potential on offense than Rivera.  That he would also serve as an emergency 3rd catcher would be nice insurance, but if he makes the roster, it's because they believe he can hit and I'd be okay with it.

I think Wilson and Rondon or Uehara are sure bets.  If it's two of those 3, it leaves one spot.  I think they have plenty of bat on the bench...probably.  I'm guessing they go with a veteran catcher over Caratini.  Hopefully, whoever it is, isn't getting any major playing time in the playoffs anyway.

It is 22 players, which leaves 3 openings for Wilson/Rondon/Grimm/Uehara/Lackey/Bench Player to duke it out over.

Dillon Maples, female dogs!!!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 05, 2017, 12:31:42 PM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

I am all about giving Maples plenty of appearances in September to see how well his absolutely filthy stuff might translate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 05, 2017, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 05, 2017, 12:31:42 PM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

I am all about giving Maples plenty of appearances in September to see how well his absolutely filthy stuff might translate.

I don't know where he found that fucking slider, but the Cubs need to send everyone there.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
Another thought about the 25th roster spot, in the event that they carry only 11 pitchers and have room for one more position player.

I suppose it's possible that consideration could be given to Leonys Martin, if for no other reason than to use him in a late-game situation in a tied game as a pinch-runner for Schwarber or Zobrist or someone slow.  I know that's a rather extremely specific situation, but so is the notion if having a guy go 5 innings in relief or needing a 3rd catcher.  Because of the positional flexibility of their roster, they might decide that they can afford to keep this guy on it as a luxury for just such a scenario.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 05, 2017, 02:36:02 PM
Another thought about the 25th roster spot, in the event that they carry only 11 pitchers and have room for one more position player.

I suppose it's possible that consideration could be given to Leonys Martin, if for no other reason than to use him in a late-game situation in a tied game as a pinch-runner for Schwarber or Zobrist or someone slow.  I know that's a rather extremely specific situation, but so is the notion if having guy go 5 innings in relief or needing a 3rd catcher.  Because of the positional flexibility of their roster, they might decide that they can afford to keep this guy on it r as a luxury for just such a scenario.

Might need him for mop-up duty.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 07:09:11 AM »
Leonys will be used like Dave Roberts to eliminate Dave Roberts.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 08:37:24 AM »
Quote from: D. Doluntap on September 07, 2017, 07:09:11 AM

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other player screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 07, 2017, 08:37:24 AM

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other playing screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

Considering the magnitude of Almora's tag-up in Game 7, and that he provided limited value otherwise, I don't think it's that unreasonable to have a guy in the 25th spot who is primarily valued for baserunning.

Or they could just use Almora again in this role.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 07, 2017, 10:02:28 AM

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other playing screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

Considering the magnitude of Almora's tag-up in Game 7, and that he provided limited value otherwise, I don't think it's that unreasonable to have a guy in the 25th spot who is primarily valued for baserunning.

That Almora play happened because he's smart and Rajai Davis has a terrible arm, I would not count on a repeat. He's not very fast to begin with and he's gotten slower since he bulked up to try and add power this offseason.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 10:06:28 AM

That Almora play happened because he's smart and Rajai Davis has a terrible arm, I would not count on a repeat. He's not very fast to begin with and he's gotten slower since he bulked up to try and add power this offseason.

Well, that, and plus I would expect Almora to contribute more on offense than he did last year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 07, 2017, 10:16:39 AM

Well, that, and plus I would expect Almora to contribute more on offense than he did last year.

Yeah the Cubs are likely to see a lot of lefties in the playoffs and Almora is one of their best against LHP (.350/.422/.505)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 10:18:42 AM

Yeah the Cubs are likely to see a lot of lefties in the playoffs and Almora is one of their best against LHP (.350/.422/.505)

I eagerly await his 3HR game against Kershaw.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 10:18:42 AM

On that note, time to start spitballing playoff lineups. I'm assuming Russell doesn't end up coming back and SKO kidnaps Heyward to keep him away from Maddon. I'm admittedly deathly afraid of La Stella's defense but hopefully worth the tradeoff to get his bat in there against righties.

vs RHP
RF Jay
2B La Stella
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Happ
SS Baez

vs LHP
RF Jay
3B Bryant