News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread  ( 6,723 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 07, 2017, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 10:18:42 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 07, 2017, 10:16:39 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on September 07, 2017, 10:02:28 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 07, 2017, 08:37:24 AM
Quote from: D. Doluntap on September 07, 2017, 07:09:11 AM
Leonys will be used like Dave Roberts to eliminate Dave Roberts.

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other playing screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

Considering the magnitude of Almora's tag-up in Game 7, and that he provided limited value otherwise, I don't think it's that unreasonable to have a guy in the 25th spot who is primarily valued for baserunning.

Or they could just use Almora again in this role.

That Almora play happened because he's smart and Rajai Davis has a terrible arm, I would not count on a repeat. He's not very fast to begin with and he's gotten slower since he bulked up to try and add power this offseason.

Well, that, and plus I would expect Almora to contribute more on offense than he did last year.

Yeah the Cubs are likely to see a lot of lefties in the playoffs and Almora is one of their best against LHP (.350/.422/.505)

On that note, time to start spitballing playoff lineups. I'm assuming Russell doesn't end up coming back and SKO kidnaps Heyward to keep him away from Maddon. I'm admittedly deathly afraid of La Stella's defense but hopefully worth the tradeoff to get his bat in there against righties.

vs RHP
RF Jay
2B La Stella
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Happ
SS Baez

vs LHP
RF Jay
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Almora
2B Happ
SS Baez

VS RHP do not rule out Joe putting Willson in LF, Schwarber in RF, Happ in CF so he can get Avila in at catcher. Pretty hard to bench a dude hitting .277/.400/.502 in 305 PA vs RHP this year.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2017, 02:51:10 PM »

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other player screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

I agree with this, but you had to bring up Herb Washington vs. the Dodgers...

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2017, 02:52:55 PM »

This is funny but in all seriousness the more I think about it the more I think this is the possibility.  Since there's no other playing screaming to fill the 25th spot they well could put Martin on for some Herb Washington situations.  I mean, granted, Rene Rivera would've score on Avila's hit last night, but the fact is Martin got his ass right into scoring position with the winning run after coming in to pinch-run for Rizzo.

Considering the magnitude of Almora's tag-up in Game 7, and that he provided limited value otherwise, I don't think it's that unreasonable to have a guy in the 25th spot who is primarily valued for baserunning.

That Almora play happened because he's smart and Rajai Davis has a terrible arm, I would not count on a repeat. He's not very fast to begin with and he's gotten slower since he bulked up to try and add power this offseason.

Well, that, and plus I would expect Almora to contribute more on offense than he did last year.

Yeah the Cubs are likely to see a lot of lefties in the playoffs and Almora is one of their best against LHP (.350/.422/.505)

On that note, time to start spitballing playoff lineups. I'm assuming Russell doesn't end up coming back and SKO kidnaps Heyward to keep him away from Maddon. I'm admittedly deathly afraid of La Stella's defense but hopefully worth the tradeoff to get his bat in there against righties.

vs RHP
RF Jay
2B La Stella
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Happ
SS Baez

vs LHP
RF Jay
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Almora
2B Happ
SS Baez

Does Ben Zobrist not  ,,,,,,,,,,,,, feel alive anymore in this scenario?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 07, 2017, 01:00:00 PM

vs RHP
RF Jay
2B La Stella
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Happ
SS Baez

vs LHP
RF Jay
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Willson
LF Schwarber
CF Almora
2B Happ
SS Baez

VS RHP do not rule out Joe putting Willson in LF, Schwarber in RF, Happ in CF so he can get Avila in at catcher. Pretty hard to bench a dude hitting .277/.400/.502 in 305 PA vs RHP this year.

With Zobrist/LaSTELLA at 2B (assuming Russell is out), that's a pretty badass lineup. Yakety Sax might start playing if the ball is hit to the outfield, but you can win games 12-10, too.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
What in tarnation should bullpen usage look like in the postseason? Other than asking Wade to throw 50 pitches anytime they have a lead I'm at a loss. Carl, Strop, Montgomery and Duensing are probably the guys I "trust" the "most" I guess.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 14, 2017, 10:32:14 AM
What in tarnation should bullpen usage look like in the postseason? Other than asking Wade to throw 50 pitches anytime they have a lead I'm at a loss. Carl, Strop, Montgomery and Duensing are probably the guys I "trust" the "most" I guess.

Since last we fucked around with the final spots I'd say Rondon and Lackey have solidified their spots and if they go with 11 Pitchers we call it a day-so long Uehara, Grimm and Wilson.  That would also open up 1 more bench spot for Caratini or Rivera.

If they go with 12 pitchers then it would seem, from today's perspective, that Uehara, Grimm and Wilson would duke it out.  In my book it would really come down to Uehara and Wilson.  I think Grimm is toast.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 14, 2017, 11:18:18 AM

Since last we fucked around with the final spots I'd say Rondon and Lackey have solidified their spots and if they go with 11 Pitchers we call it a day-so long Uehara, Grimm and Wilson.  That would also open up 1 more bench spot for Caratini or Rivera.

If they go with 12 pitchers then it would seem, from today's perspective, that Uehara, Grim and Wilson would duke it out.  In my book it would really come down to Uehara and Wilson.  I think Grimm is toast.

SQDPD--

As for RV's angst, I don't know that they're any worse off than last year's bullpen.  Remember that at the very end Joe relied on nobody besides Chapman for high-leverage spots (Game 7 excepted and that's because he had no choice).

If Joe can trust Strop more than he did last year, you've got generally reliable bullpen arms in Edwards, Strop, Monty and Duensing--2 righties and 2 lefties behind Davis.  Not too many playoff teams enjoy the prospect of going beyond a 5th reliever anyway so...

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 14, 2017, 11:22:13 AM

If they go with 12 pitchers then it would seem, from today's perspective, that Uehara, Grim and Wilson would duke it out.  In my book it would really come down to Uehara and Wilson.  I think Grimm is toast.

SQDPD--

As for RV's angst, I don't know that they're any worse off than last year's bullpen.  Remember that at the very end Joe relied on nobody besides Chapman for high-leverage spots (Game 7 excepted and that's because he had no choice).

If Joe can trust Strop more than he did last year, you've got generally reliable bullpen arms in Edwards, Strop, Monty and Duensing--2 righties and 2 lefties behind Davis.  Not too many playoff teams enjoy the prospect of going beyond a 5th reliever anyway so...

And why wouldn't he? Strop was coming off of a knee injury at the end of the regular season last year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 15, 2017, 10:35:07 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 14, 2017, 11:22:13 AM

SQDPD--

And why wouldn't he? Strop was coming off of a knee injury at the end of the regular season last year.

Yeah honestly the only question I have is if Davis can hold up for multi-inning outings, otherwise I'd say they're in about the same spot bullpen wise as last October. With off days there's really no reason you couldn't use the same 1-2 relievers in just about every postseason game.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
Projecting out the rotation through the NLDS based on today's announcement that Montgomery & Lester will go in TB...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 18, 2017, 12:49:45 PM
Projecting out the rotation through the NLDS based on today's announcement that Montgomery & Lester will go in TB...

I think they'll re-shuffle. Depends on how Jake looks when he gets back but I think they'd be dumb not to start Hendricks in G1 right now. If Arrieta comes back and looks like he did before getting hurt I'd go Arrieta/Hendricks/Quintana/Lester.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »

I'm not sure why they're giving Montgomery a start if Arrieta is slated to come back this weekend, which he could still do without giving Monty a start (it'd just be Saturday instead of Sunday).  You could go Lester tomorrow on 5 days rest, with Lackey, Hendricks and Q going on 4.  I know this is a mighty fine hair to split, but I'd rather Lester line up for Milwaukee on Sunday.  Whateveer, I suppose.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 18, 2017, 12:56:13 PM

I think they'll re-shuffle. Depends on how Jake looks when he gets back but I think they'd be dumb not to start Hendricks in G1 right now. If Arrieta comes back and looks like he did before getting hurt I'd go Arrieta/Hendricks/Quintana/Lester.

Fair point on Hendricks but absent a couple of blowups over his remaining starts, I can't imagine them pushing Lester further back than Game 2.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 18, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

I'm not sure why they're giving Montgomery a start if Arrieta is slated to come back this weekend, which he could still do without giving Monty a start (it'd just be Saturday instead of Sunday).  You could go Lester tomorrow on 5 days rest, with Lackey, Hendricks and Q going on 4.  I know this is a mighty fine hair to split, but I'd rather Lester line up for Milwaukee on Sunday.  Whateveer, I suppose.

I think they're looking for a platoon advantage in the Brewers series. They intentionally stacked it so they'd throw 3 righties at them. Looking at the numbers the Brewers only have two regulars who are straight up lefties (Thames and Shaw) so you'd think they'd fare worse vs RHP than LHP, but they have basically a 100 OPS+ against both RHP and LHP. Perhaps they've struggled mightily against RHP more recently during their sh-tty second half and their numbers overall are just being buoyed by a first half where they all hit over their heads for a few months.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 18, 2017, 01:33:02 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 18, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

Yes, I think Lester also matches up well vs. St. Louis.

It says here they split in Tampa, and SWEEP, yes sweep, the Beermakers. At worst, that clinches a tie with Milwaukee and puts magic # over Cardinals at 3 with Lester plus the same 3 pitchers the Cardinals just saw with limited success coming into Busch Stadium. (this assumes the Cardinals sweep the Reds and Pirates and the Brewers sweep at PNC; if they lose a couple, the Cubs could clinch at Miller Park, which would be nice because it's fun for the Cubs to win in front of their own fans.

Quite likely, the last turns in the rotation will be for them all to get 3-6 innings in before allowing the Iowa Cubs play some Major League competition/.

I think they're looking for a platoon advantage in the Brewers series. They intentionally stacked it so they'd throw 3 righties at them. Looking at the numbers the Brewers only have two regulars who are straight up lefties (Thames and Shaw) so you'd think they'd fare worse vs RHP than LHP, but they have basically a 100 OPS+ against both RHP and LHP. Perhaps they've struggled mightily against RHP more recently during their sh-tty second half and their numbers overall are just being buoyed by a first half where they all hit over their heads for a few months.