News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mike D., DOWN IN FRONT  ( 1,459 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mike D., DOWN IN FRONT
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
DPD

And Colvin wouldn't count as he was drafted in 1999.

*(I should add that Wannstedt was essentially replaced in making draft selections by Mark Hatley either right before or right after the 1997 draft so he wouldn't even really get credit for Parrish and Mannelly (and possibly Robinson) anyway).
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 27, 2017, 03:22:11 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 27, 2017, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 27, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 27, 2017, 02:12:28 PM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 27, 2017, 08:38:56 AM
You may recall (and if you do, then kudos) that one of my more ignominious nickname-dispensings--and one for which I took a similar beating to the one I took (at the time) for Garbanzo Beans for Tom Gorzellany, before Garbanzo Beans proved more enduring, was John Thierry-Of-Relatively-Awful-Wannstedt-Picks

Who were the good Wanny picks? John Allred? Marcus Spears? Carl Simpson? Pat Riley? Todd Sauerbum? Paul Grasmanis?

OK, you can have Raymont and Jim Flannigan.

Olin Kreutz? Chris Villarial? Warrick Holdman?

Shit I guess I forgot that Kreutz was in Wanny's last draft in '98 (the Penis Draft).

And Holdman's a good call.  For that matter, ditto Rosy Colvin (unless Jauron drafted Colvin).

Even then...it's some pretty weak tea for 6 draft classes.

Curtis Conway had over 8,000 yards receiving in his career and played for over a decade despite never playing with a quarterback better than Rookie Drew Brees. He caught passes from Rick Mirer AND Ryan Leaf. He was a fine pick, but there's never really been any point to being a quality receiver on the Bears.

He was a decent WR, but a shitty pick at #7 overall for a junior who only really had one and a half collegiate seasons as a WR.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 27, 2017, 03:34:52 PM
You may recall (and if you do, then kudos) that one of my more ignominious nickname-dispensings--and one for which I took a similar beating to the one I took (at the time) for Garbanzo Beans for Tom Gorzellany, before Garbanzo Beans proved more enduring, was John Thierry-Of-Relatively-Awful-Wannstedt-Picks

Who were the good Wanny picks? John Allred? Marcus Spears? Carl Simpson? Pat Riley? Todd Sauerbum? Paul Grasmanis?

Shit I guess I forgot that Kreutz was in Wanny's last draft in '98 (the Penis Draft).

And Holdman's a good call.  For that matter, ditto Rosy Colvin (unless Jauron drafted Colvin).

Curtis Conway had over 8,000 yards receiving in his career and played for over a decade despite never playing with a quarterback better than Rookie Drew Brees. He caught passes from Rick Mirer AND Ryan Leaf. He was a fine pick, but there's never really been any point to being a quality receiver on the Bears.

He was a decent WR, but a shitty pick at #7 overall for a junior who only really had one and a half collegiate seasons as a WR.

His pedigree in college is irrelevant, he was a good NFL receiver. If he'd had even remotely competent quarterback play for most of his career he'd have been a 10,000+ yard receiver. They also had bigger needs at WR at the time than on the OL (where HOF Willie Roaf went with the next pick) or on defense (where the best pick would have been Strahan, but he was underrated by every single team in that draft and went in the middle of the 2nd round anyway). It was a perfectly defensible lottery pick and it was a player who had a solid NFL career.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
All of this talk has made me grateful that Ryan Pace is here now to blow all our tits off with some kickass draft picks. *quickly shoves Kevin White under the rug*
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 27, 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 27, 2017, 03:34:52 PM

His pedigree in college is irrelevant, he was a good NFL receiver. If he'd had even remotely competent quarterback play for most of his career he'd have been a 10,000+ yard receiver. They also had bigger needs at WR at the time than on the OL (where HOF Willie Roaf went with the next pick) or on defense (where the best pick would have been Strahan, but he was underrated by every single team in that draft and went in the middle of the 2nd round anyway). It was a perfectly defensible lottery pick and it was a player who had a solid NFL career.

Assume you are making an NBA joke or something.