News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  ( 1,585 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
If I should ever let slip that I am going to go to see a Quentin Tarantino movie, please stop me.  Please remind me about this movie and Django Unchained and that disaster about killing Adolph Hitler and all of the other Nazi leaders (I have suppressed the title).  This stinker had some very entertaining moments, but like all Tarentino movies it rewrites history to a very offensive degree. 

SPOILER ALERT!

This is about the Sharon Tate murder by Charles Manson's goons.  Guess what?  It didn't happen.  At least according to Tarentino.  Nope.  A very heroic Brad Pitt and a portly Leonardo DeCaprio step in and save the day.  Pitt provides some comic relief to an overly long and mostly boring movie.  The movie spends a lot of time showing them driving around Los Angeles and Hollywood in 1970's cars, including a 4 door Cadillac that probably required three parking spaces when at rest.  In addition to enjoying Pitt's performance I mostly enjoyed seeing the sites of the L.A. and Hollywood streets, which haven't changed all that much since the 1970s.  Although the movie has a terrific climax it doesn't depict what happened, and if you know what happened, and the majority of the millennials in the theater I attended obviously did not know, you may have a confused vacant stare on you face when you watch the closing credits.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 10:14:34 AM »
You seem to be grading this movie based on the assumption that Tarantino was tasked with creating a shot-for-shot documentary of what actually happened. What do you find offensive about his alteration to real events, exactly? Some in reviewing the film have said they found some dark pleasure in watching the Manson Family get some brutal justice come to them. Is it the concept you disliked, the execution, or both? Changing history is kind of his thing, as you acknowledge, so if you don?t like that, you?re not going to like anything he does anyway. I?m hardly a Tarantino stan but if your main beef is that the murders didn?t happen that way and you?re going to confuse people who don?t know that, well, yeah, that?s kind of the point.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
"LSD-laced cigarette"? Dear L-rd.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
Anyone know when this hits Amazon Prime Video?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.