News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?  ( 25,888 )

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Hendry can't possibly be the GM next season, right?
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2010, 12:39:38 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on August 06, 2010, 12:50:15 AM
QuoteThough "some of the best prospects in the minors" are in the Royals organization, K.C. ace Zack Greinke expressed doubt that these youngsters will develop quickly enough to help the team while he is still wearing Royal blue.  Greinke told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that "there's no reason for me to get real excited about it...because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by the time my contract is up is pretty slim."

While Greinke stopped short of saying he wants out of Kansas City, he said that "it's been six years with me, and most people (who are Royals fans) have been through a lot more than I have.  But for me, it's the third complete re-start/rebuilding phase....I like Kansas City....It's a town that fits me pretty well. But I don't know...at least put a team together that has a fighting chance (to win)."

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO JIM

Stay away? Because the meatballs who boo him after one bad start will cause him to retire or committ suicide.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
Jesus christ.

QuoteIt's a big change from the previous regime, whose old-school methods prompted the overhaul. When one of Epstein's hires told scouts they'd be using Microsoft Excel for scheduling, one asked, "Sorry, but what is Excel?" When McLeod took over player development, just eight of 24 area scouts had email linked to their smartphones. "Hendry is a great guy, but this was the Stone Age," says a player-development source no longer with the team. "A report would be, 'Plus-plus makeup -- I love this kid.' What does that even mean?" Scouts did not take video of players -- a basic and invaluable task with today's technology. The job of one executive under the computer-shy Hendry consisted of scanning the Internet for relevant stories and distributing printouts twice a day. "Theo finally told him to stop," the source says. "They let the guy go, which is sad, but nobody needs stuff that's three hours old when they have MLB Trade Rumors up on their computers and the app on their phone."

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 27, 2014, 02:41:09 PM
Jesus christ.

QuoteIt's a big change from the previous regime, whose old-school methods prompted the overhaul. When one of Epstein's hires told scouts they'd be using Microsoft Excel for scheduling, one asked, "Sorry, but what is Excel?" When McLeod took over player development, just eight of 24 area scouts had email linked to their smartphones. "Hendry is a great guy, but this was the Stone Age," says a player-development source no longer with the team. "A report would be, 'Plus-plus makeup -- I love this kid.' What does that even mean?" Scouts did not take video of players -- a basic and invaluable task with today's technology. The job of one executive under the computer-shy Hendry consisted of scanning the Internet for relevant stories and distributing printouts twice a day. "Theo finally told him to stop," the source says. "They let the guy go, which is sad, but nobody needs stuff that's three hours old when they have MLB Trade Rumors up on their computers and the app on their phone."

Some of the comments after that article are the meatballiest thing since meatballs meatballed the meatball meatball.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 27, 2014, 03:14:02 PM
Jesus christ.

Some of the comments after that article are the meatballiest thing since meatballs meatballed the meatball meatball.

Quote from: Pat Geraghty ★ Top Commenter · Risk Management & Investigations at Hilton Worldwide
I stopped at the headline.

Thanks for sharing, Pat.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 27, 2014, 03:45:56 PM
Jesus christ.

Quote from: Pat Geraghty ★ Top Commenter · Risk Management & Investigations at Hilton Worldwide

Thanks for sharing, Pat.

Nice to see a guy working in Risk Management & Investigations is using his title on espn.com. I'm sure his audiitors will be thrilled.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 27, 2014, 04:17:28 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 27, 2014, 03:45:56 PM
Jesus christ.

Thanks for sharing, Pat.

Nice to see a guy working in Risk Management & Investigations is using his title on espn.com. I'm sure his audiitors will be thrilled.

I assumed that was a euphemism for "security guard".

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
Jesus christ.

I can't believe it took Tom Ricketts only two six years to decide to replace this guy.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 27, 2014, 10:09:04 PM
six years

Oh, for the holy fuck of fuck.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 27, 2014, 10:31:31 PM
six years

Don't be a dumb fuck. When you start due diligence on a nearly $1 billion acquisition, you do a strategic review. You do a technology review.  You do an employee review.  You do a cost of goods sold review.  You do a cash flow review.  You do a facilities review.  You hire outside people if you have to to do the research.  You review everything.  That they didn't identify the lack of technology in place given 4 years pre-closing to review operations is mistake, a mistake that added at least two years to their rebuilding process.  Maybe more because maybe some assets are traded earlier and some drafts aren't wasted.

Ricketts fucked up.  This is clear from many, many sources.  I'm confident Theo can correct it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 27, 2014, 11:01:25 PM
Don't be a dumb fuck.

Chucksician, heal thyself.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2014, 12:21:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/ivychat/status/449387279157428226

QuoteI lost any trust in Tom since seeing the Joe Ricketts vid about how Tom didn't graduate on time and didn't tell dad in advance

That video is like the Urtext of Internet Chuck Rickettsology.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 27, 2014, 11:01:25 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 27, 2014, 10:31:31 PM
six years

Don't be a dumb fuck. When you start due diligence on a nearly $1 billion acquisition, you do a strategic review. You do a technology review.  You do an employee review.  You do a cost of goods sold review.  You do a cash flow review.  You do a facilities review.  You hire outside people if you have to to do the research.  You review everything.  That they didn't identify the lack of technology in place given 4 years pre-closing to review operations is mistake, a mistake that added at least two years to their rebuilding process.  Maybe more because maybe some assets are traded earlier and some drafts aren't wasted.

Ricketts fucked up.  This is clear from many, many sources.  I'm confident Theo can correct it.

I'm not comfortable with everything Chuck is saying here but I am not convinced that he's 100% wrong on this either. However, baseball wasn't Tom's business before he took over the Cubs, and it's not like he could fire Hendry before he got the keys. If the plan was to evaluate everybody after he took the reigns, you could argue that two years was too long to wait before launching Hendry. You could also argue that whoever was feeding Tom info about the situation pre-sale didn't have a clue what was actually going on.

My belief is that Ricketts and his gang were far more concerned with the business side of things and decided to put the baseball operations decisions on hold until they were secure in what their plan would be.

I also doubt Theo would have been available two years sooner. And if the same people who didn't know enough to fire Jim Hendry were making the decision to hire the next VP/GM they might have hired somebody who would need to be launched three years later. And then where would we be.

If you ask me the process worked/is working.

Final analysis: Chuck is 75% wrong.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
It's hard to blame Tom Ricketts for not having the "right" (read: most forward thinking baseball people possible) people researching the Cubs and their entire front office operation because look at how many teams, not just in baseball, but in all leagues are still run by cavemen who still think it's the 1960s. Player development is still largely a size-and-feel thing. One guy has makeup and is toolsy let's get him.

Advanced stats are definitely making huge inroads in baseball but it's still very, very new and it's not as widely spread as we'd like to think.

Short of Ricketts hiring FanGraphs to find out what kind of Monkeys-Writing-Shakespeare operation Hendry was running, I'm not really sure what Chuck thinks was going to actually happen here.

I don't think Chuck is entirely wrong but I think he is living in a fucking fantasy land.

Shit, wouldn't it have been great if the Cubs Trib did this? And then sustained it?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2014, 08:37:09 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 28, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
I'm not comfortable with everything Chuck is saying here but I am not convinced that he's 100% wrong on this either... Final analysis: Chuck is 75% wrong.

Quote from: Slaky on March 28, 2014, 08:20:47 AM
I don't think Chuck is entirely wrong but I think he is living in a fucking fantasy land.

Internet Chuck was never 100% wrong about Soriano either, was he? And that probably just made all the dumb things he chose to say that much more irritating.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 28, 2014, 08:37:09 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 28, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
I'm not comfortable with everything Chuck is saying here but I am not convinced that he's 100% wrong on this either... Final analysis: Chuck is 75% wrong.

Quote from: Slaky on March 28, 2014, 08:20:47 AM

Internet Chuck was never 100% wrong about Soriano either, was he? And that probably just made all the dumb things he chose to say that much more irritating.

He was 100% wrong when he called him an "awful, awful" baseball player.