News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,749 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #255 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 10, 2013, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 10, 2013, 09:05:29 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 10, 2013, 06:47:47 AM
Paul O'Neill did get hurt a lot and seemed to have a lot of simmering anger, but he also didn't change 3 shirt sizes in a 4 year period.

don't forget that roids or HGH aren't just used to build ludicrous amounts of muscle. Was Andy Pettitte some kind of Ned Flanders when he removed the pinstriped top? Doubt it.

These guys, hell probably every team had guys, who would use something to get healthy quickly and stay off the DL. You'd never know it.

Which is part of the reason why I don't give a fuck about PEDs.

I actually think the juicers should be let in, for all I give a fuck about the HOF.

Fact is, without Sosa and McGwire, baseball wouldn't have had as quick a rebound following the work stoppage in 94.

Not to mention, it's a little hard to say that because these guys cheated they shouldn't be allowed into the same hallowed hall as Whitey Ford, Don Sutton or Gaylord Perry.

No one will ever convince me that Barry Bonds isn't one of the best 2-3 players of all time.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: December 10, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 10, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
Paul O'Neill did get hurt a lot and seemed to have a lot of simmering anger, but he also didn't change 3 shirt sizes in a 4 year period.

don't forget that roids or HGH aren't just used to build ludicrous amounts of muscle. Was Andy Pettitte some kind of Ned Flanders when he removed the pinstriped top? Doubt it.

These guys, hell probably every team had guys, who would use something to get healthy quickly and stay off the DL. You'd never know it.

I actually think the juicers should be let in, for all I give a fuck about the HOF.

Fact is, without Sosa and McGwire, baseball wouldn't have had as quick a rebound following the work stoppage in 94.

Not to mention, it's a little hard to say that because these guys cheated they shouldn't be allowed into the same hallowed hall as Whitey Ford, Don Sutton or Gaylord Perry.

No one will ever convince me that Barry Bonds isn't one of the best 2-3 players of all time.

Even without the PEDs too.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 10, 2013, 11:36:41 AM

Even without the PEDs too.

I also believe he's one of the biggest cock nostrils ever to play sports (excluding the OJ Simpson types natch) and every time he gets fucked over trying to get into the Hall, I reserve the right to laugh and call him a cock nostril.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

These four years are just unfathomable to me, PEDs or not.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2013, 11:55:04 AM

Seriously, his pre-Barroid numbers (if you believe "Game of Shadows", everything prior to 1999) had him in the HOF anyway.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: December 10, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
Bah.  History has no place in a museum.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »

If you put 100 people in a room and ask them who are the best two or three players of all time (after Ruth), and asked them to put them in order, you'd get damn near 100 different answers. Part of the beauty of the game.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: December 10, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
Quote from: Fork on December 10, 2013, 01:04:53 PM

If you put 100 people in a room and ask them who are the best two or three players of all time (after Ruth), and asked them to put them in order, you'd get damn near 100 different answers. Part of the beauty of the game.

Right but there are many people who would exclude him from that conversation entirely and they're idiots.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

Ridiculous numbers, and the values in the age column take it to another level.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

Whenever I talk about the beauty of the on-base percentage stat with friends, I take note of the practical import of the stat.  I've used Bonds' 2004 season as an example to explain the stat: by the time he stepped to the plate, he was more than 60% of the way toward being on first base already.

That is absolutely staggering.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 10, 2013, 01:29:50 PM

Whenever I talk about the beauty of the on-base percentage stat with friends, I take note of the practical import of the stat.  I've used Bonds' 2004 season as an example to explain the stat: by the time he stepped to the plate, he was more than 60% of the way toward being on first base already.

Sixty percent of the time, he was on first base every time.

THIS TIME TO POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY ANCHORMAN 2, THE LITTLE-KNOWN UPCOMING MOTION PICTURE STARRING WILL FERRELL AS RON BURGUNDY
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »

I'm glad I don't need to rely on your explanations to understand baseball or other topics.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on December 10, 2013, 02:46:26 PM

I'm glad I don't need to rely on your explanations to understand baseball or other topics.

Here's the thing, RV: borry bonsd hit real ball good

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with letting the PED guys into the hall, but the meatball in me doesn't want to see them get to enjoy their enshrinement day or make a speech. Can't they let them in without the pomp and circumstance?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 10, 2013, 03:04:00 PM
I don't have a problem with letting the PED guys into the hall, but the meatball in me doesn't want to see them get to enjoy their enshrinement day or make a speech. Can't they let them in without the pomp and circumstance?

Can't you just not watch?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.