News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,757 )

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2011, 09:15:54 PM
Quote from: Yeti on January 05, 2011, 04:41:17 PM
B.J. Surhoff

The guy's explained himself later on ESPN:

Quote"In 1976, I was just out of college and working my first job at the Port Chester (NY) Daily Item, covering a Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament. The starting pitcher for the team from Rye was supposed to be their star, a big kid named Rich Surhoff, whose father Dick had played for the NY Knicks in the 1950s. Surhoff did, in fact, make it t the major leagues, spending nine games with the Philadelphia Phillies. But that day, the pitcher's younger brother was the one who caught my attention. He was only 12 years old and playing with the older kids, playing shortstop. On consecutive plays, I saw him range behind third base to the left field line and throw out a runner, then range the other way all the way behind first to catch a tricky pop that eluded a teammate.

After that game, I told BJ I thought that someday, I'd be watching him in the major leagues. For the next few years, I watched BJ become a local star at Rye HS, covering his games occasionally. And I remember telling him then that someday, I'd be voting for him for the Hall of Fame. Surhoff, went on to a career at UNC, became the No. 1 pick of the draft, played on our first Olympic baseball team. He had a very good (though not great) career for 18 years in MLB. And then there he was on my ballot (I've been a BBWAA member since 1985 and have had a Hall of Fame vote since '95). So I remembered that promise (though I honestly can't say if BJ does) and checked the box.

The reaction to that astounds me. I expected people who didn't know the story to question that vote. But the sheer level of nastiness, the anger, amazes me. I really didn't think BJ would get elected. I'd be surprised if he got another vote besides mine. And I'm fine with that. BJ was a very good player and a good guy (check out the work he's done for autism, sparked by his autistic son). He earned the fulfillment of that 35-year-old promise. And who, exactly did that hurt? If voting for BJ cost someone who deserved entry, I wouldn't have done it. And if the rules said that everybody who got one vote got in, then I definitely wouldn't have done it. But it didn't."

Well, shit.  That's not what I wanted.  Somebody call Joe Morgan so we can get a stupid and self-important justification to make fun of.  

That's a pretty decent defense.  Much less excusable is his belief that Robbie Alomar "just missed his ballot" this year, but would have "probably been on it next year."  I guess he was betting on a big 2011 season from Robbie.  

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on January 05, 2011, 09:32:04 PM
B.J. Surhoff

Quote"In 1976, I was just out of college and working my first job at the Port Chester (NY) Daily Item, covering a Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament. The starting pitcher for the team from Rye was supposed to be their star, a big kid named Rich Surhoff, whose father Dick had played for the NY Knicks in the 1950s. Surhoff did, in fact, make it t the major leagues, spending nine games with the Philadelphia Phillies. But that day, the pitcher's younger brother was the one who caught my attention. He was only 12 years old and playing with the older kids, playing shortstop. On consecutive plays, I saw him range behind third base to the left field line and throw out a runner, then range the other way all the way behind first to catch a tricky pop that eluded a teammate.

After that game, I told BJ I thought that someday, I'd be watching him in the major leagues. For the next few years, I watched BJ become a local star at Rye HS, covering his games occasionally. And I remember telling him then that someday, I'd be voting for him for the Hall of Fame. Surhoff, went on to a career at UNC, became the No. 1 pick of the draft, played on our first Olympic baseball team. He had a very good (though not great) career for 18 years in MLB. And then there he was on my ballot (I've been a BBWAA member since 1985 and have had a Hall of Fame vote since '95). So I remembered that promise (though I honestly can't say if BJ does) and checked the box.

The reaction to that astounds me. I expected people who didn't know the story to question that vote. But the sheer level of nastiness, the anger, amazes me. I really didn't think BJ would get elected. I'd be surprised if he got another vote besides mine. And I'm fine with that. BJ was a very good player and a good guy (check out the work he's done for autism, sparked by his autistic son). He earned the fulfillment of that 35-year-old promise. And who, exactly did that hurt? If voting for BJ cost someone who deserved entry, I wouldn't have done it. And if the rules said that everybody who got one vote got in, then I definitely wouldn't have done it. But it didn't."

Well, shit.  That's not what I wanted.  Somebody call Joe Morgan so we can get a stupid and self-important justification to make fun of.  

That's a pretty decent defense.  Much less excusable is his belief that Robbie Alomar "just missed his ballot" this year, but would have "probably been on it next year."  I guess he was betting on a big 2011 season from Robbie.  

It's only a problem if the vote for BJ specifically knocked off somebody who could've used the vote to get elected.  And even then, who the fuck cares?  Let's be honest - if anybody here was given the right to vote for the HoF, could you resist penciling in Neifi's name, just for shits and giggles?  Or maybe Doug Dascenzo?  Fuck 'em.  The real travesty is that they couldn't get their shit together enough to vote for Santo.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
Eh, I can't care much.  But how come other museums don't vote on their exhibits this way? 

You can bet I never would have voted for those man-eating lions at the Field.  I mean sure, they're very good natural history, but great natural history? 

I don't think so.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 05, 2011, 10:10:43 PM
B.J. Surhoff

It's only a problem if the vote for BJ specifically knocked off somebody who could've used the vote to get elected.  And even then, who the fuck cares?  Let's be honest - if anybody here was given the right to vote for the HoF, could you resist penciling in Neifi's name, just for shits and giggles?  Or maybe Doug Dascenzo?  Fuck 'em.  The real travesty is that they couldn't get their shit together enough to vote for Santo.

Probably because they are too busy playing grabass in the headlines with Little Leaguers who stole their heart 35 years ago...

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »
B.J. Surhoff

He completely ignored all the good work Robbie Alomar did with Aids.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
I'm waiting for him to justify his vote for Tino Martinez next.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 06, 2011, 07:50:32 AM
B.J. Surhoff

He completely ignored all the good work Robbie Alomar did with Aids.

(||)
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2011, 10:29:55 PM
Eh, I can't care much.  But how come other museums don't vote on their exhibits this way? 

You can bet I never would have voted for those man-eating lions at the Field.  I mean sure, they're very good natural history, but great natural history? 

I don't think so.

The Darkness was a sure-fire Hall of Famer, but the Ghost was just riding coattails.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 06, 2011, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2011, 10:29:55 PM

I don't think so.

The Darkness was a sure-fire Hall of Famer, but the Ghost was just riding coattails.

After Permission to Land, it was all downhill

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2011, 12:14:30 AM »
Let's be honest - if anybody here was given the right to vote for the HoF, could you resist penciling in Neifi's name, just for shits and giggles?

Yep.  Pretty easily.  In fact, I probably wouldn't even think of doing it, much less thinking it was funny.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on January 11, 2011, 12:14:30 AM
Let's be honest - if anybody here was given the right to vote for the HoF, could you resist penciling in Neifi's name, just for shits and giggles?

Yep.  Pretty easily.  In fact, I probably wouldn't even think of doing it, much less thinking it was funny.

The very idea that I would do that is absurd.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 11, 2011, 08:51:23 AM

It's a good thing you guys won't get to vote then. Because I would totally do that.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 11, 2011, 09:02:20 AM

It's a good thing you guys won't get to vote then. Because I would totally do that.

The very idea that anyone who has ever posted here more than once would actually get to vote for the HoF is absurd.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on January 11, 2011, 09:04:16 AM

The very idea that anyone who has ever posted here more than once would actually get to vote for the HoF is absurd.

Poor Len.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 11, 2011, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: morpheus on January 11, 2011, 09:04:16 AM

Poor Len.

True.  Len not getting a vote is further proof that the system is rigged.  I'm going to protest this unfair system by voting for Jose Macias. 
M'lady.